XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. Whilst trying to be very careful and removing some nasty clear coat scratches, I managed to get carried away and not check often enough, and seem to have burnt through the clear coat, and exposed the top layer of base paint. This is in two areas, each being half the diameter of a 5p piece. I have tried a couple of things such as brushing on several thin layers of clear coat, and then sanding back with 3000 followed by 5000, followed by polishing compound, but its not working, and is probably making things worse. Trouble is, because I flattened the area so well, I have no recess to build up top coat on.

Help! I want to get this sorted, but don't want to cock it up any more, and can't afford resprays. Is this recoverable do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guys. Whilst trying to be very careful and removing some nasty clear coat scratches, I managed to get carried away and not check often enough, and seem to have burnt through the clear coat, and exposed the top layer of base paint. This is in two areas, each being half the diameter of a 5p piece. I have tried a couple of things such as brushing on several thin layers of clear coat, and then sanding back with 3000 followed by 5000, followed by polishing compound, but its not working, and is probably making things worse. Trouble is, because I flattened the area so well, I have no recess to build up top coat on.

Help! I want to get this sorted, but don't want to cock it up any more, and can't afford resprays. Is this recoverable do you think?

Thanks
Have not got any answers for you Belcher, as I am trying to build up the courage to repair a couple of chips and scratches myself. I bought a "chipex kit" but have not been brave enough to try it yet, found a little instruction video on line somewhere and it looks straight forward but I am still kacking myself about it. Have a look at their website if you have not already done so, I think they have a phone number you can call for advice.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate. I bet you are really miffed.

You do not say were this has happend but a good body shop should do it for about 160ish, get your price find our were they are painting to and then practise in that area, you may as wll get something out of it.

James

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh got a quote and it's booked in for the end of next week. Came highly recommended. He said he'll be able to blend it in no problem, and will also encompass 3 other deep chips in close proximity. 180 quid. Oh and this is on the rear nearside quarter panel, slap bang in the middle. So it's really in yer face hence me wanting it sorted. If I am really happy with the finish, I'll probably get a quote for my bonnet (or at least the front third of it) as it's quite pebble dashed up close.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the finished item. Three photos - Cracking job I think.

A close up of the damage:

Then two shots of the finished panel:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Looks like a really good job Belcher ... and I´m not talking about that clean garage mirroring in your car :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts