XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just had a daft thought as I was contemplating replacing my current 18"wheels with
Volans 20",would it improve my mpg? being bigger n'all or is that a daft question?

·
Registered
57 Posts
So your current 245 18s would change to a 255 front with 285 rear 20s. Not an approved spec on the non SV8 and I can't see how they are going to have better rolling resistance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The cost in putting 20 inch rims on your XF would probably take at least 10 years to pay off in fuel savings, that's if the savings are actually real. But who cares really, the big rims would look superb. Surely that's all that matters.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
I have no idea about the potential savings or otherwise, I can imagine a Formula 1 team wanting to know what the weight difference is :!:
More important would be the quality of ride, better or worse :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh dear, Jules! Looks are certainly important, but 'all that matters'? Surely not.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Going up to 20's will make your fuel consumption worse but by an almost un-noticable amount as they are heavier than 18s. The rolling radius is exactly the same though which is most important as a swap wouldnt make your speedo inaccurate.

Ride quality will be compromised over 18s

·
Registered
294 Posts
Doesn't matter to Jules, craig - all he wants to do is look at it - or have others look at it (as if the XF didn't do that anyway!), while he pretends that he doesn't mind the poorer ride. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I guess it comes from living in Dubai too long. Fuel here is about 22p a litre so over here we don't usually care about mpg, we go for the fattest engine possible and use sport mode most of the time. I forget that you guys back in the UK have a disadvantage in that area.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Jules said:
I guess it comes from living in Dubai too long. Fuel here is about 22p a litre so over here we don't usually care about mpg, we go for the fattest engine possible and use sport mode most of the time. I forget that you guys back in the UK have a disadvantage in that area.
That isn't the only disadvantage we have in the UK, I suspect Dubai roads are not as lumpy as those here and maybe you will get a smooth ride with the large wheels so I can understand why you wrote " The cost in putting 20 inch rims on your XF would probably take at least 10 years to pay off in fuel savings, that's if the savings are actually real. But who cares really, the big rims would look superb. Surely that's all that matters.
Are you just trying to wind us all up :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
True, the roads are all brand new and nicely manicured. But at least you get corners in UK. I fear I'm in danger of burning out my cruise control!!! I've spent the last weekend trying to source a decent roundabout where I can test the cornering propery.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Jules said:
True, the roads are all brand new and nicely manicured. But at least you get corners in UK. I fear I'm in danger of burning out my cruise control!!! I've spent the last weekend trying to source a decent roundabout where I can test the cornering propery.
Try the Al-Satwa roundabout in Bur Dubai in rush hour! Oh, and please order me a mixed grill from the Golden Fork restaurant just by that roundabout...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
WOW, Dubai has changed!!!! When I was based in the Gulf there were no tarmac roads, no airport until half way through my two year tour and only a couple of buildings were more than two storeys high. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
WOW, Dubai has changed!!!! When I was based in the Gulf there were no tarmac roads, no airport until half way through my two year tour and only a couple of buildings were more than two storeys high. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And there was me thinking you were a young man :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts