XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An unexpected benefit of purchasing a new XF has been the increased esteem I have gained with my daughter. It has vastly improved her street credibility, particularly when we drive to her friend's houses, where curtains twitch at our approach. My daughter now occupies the passenger seat with a heightened air of self confidence and basks in the admiring gaze of eligible young males passing by. Of course, I haven't the heart to explain that the men are really admiring the XF's 19 inch artura alloys and sleek rear end.

However, there is a minor fly in her ointment, which causes her some embarrassment and is the reason for this post. When applying or releasing the handbrake and when lightly using the brakes at very slow speed (particularly when reversing downhill) there is a distinctly audible complaint from the brakes, groaning when applied and released gently. I explained that it was probably just that the brake pads need to bed in and this was heavy car with very powerful brakes etc. but that cuts no ice when there's an image to consider.

So, please could anyone reassure Princess raregrin that the creaking brakes are just due to newness or could it be something else?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I would get the (EPB) handbrake mechanism checked asap. In the meantime you could try exercising the EPB a dozen times or so as it might reset itself. See viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1347

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your reply, penultimateblack.
My noise is definitely from the brakes and not just when I use the EPB. I have often heard the creaking/groaning on many vehicles, particularly automatics, but never quite as frequently (or as loud) as on mine. I would assume this is due to the more powerful brakes, but I wonder does it wear off as the pads bed in, or have other owners not had any such problems with their XFs?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I also get the creaking when I am too soft on the brakes while coming to a standstill. My previous car didn't pull as much on idle as this gearbox does so it has taken me a while to adjust my breaking behavior.

I am also hoping that it will settle after a while.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too get this when I am very gentle on the brakes eg creeping forward at junctions (on hills) and it hasn't improved after 3000 miles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shez said:
I too get this when I am very gentle on the brakes eg creeping forward at junctions (on hills) and it hasn't improved after 3000 miles.
I think I have had this creaking noise with all of my Automatic's over the years so I think it is quite a normal phenomenon and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had this on 2 Mercedes ML's and on my XF. may have something to do with spray they use on wheels in hand car wash ?? may be leaving a deposit on discs ??

·
Registered
425 Posts
I only get creaking when I've just washed and the disks have a slightly corroded surface to them, but after a few dabs it's back to normal. I find the brakes very positive and progressive, not like a on/off switch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts