XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Think I might have an issue and hoping you can help. I have an XF 2010 3.0 diesel Premium Luxury saloon. 70k on clock, average outside temp is 12C

Last night after driving home from work (25min drive), I parked up and could hear these crackling noises from under the car. Usually, i don't think much of it as i understand its usually the exhaust cooling down but the sound was more prominent and longer than usual. This morning I've taken a video of underside of the car. I didn't drive as hard today so its not an accurate reflection of the noises last night but will give you some sort of idea.

Could it be a heat shield or something loose or a sign that something needs replacing or am I making a huge deal out of nothing?

Any advice would be appreciated and apologies if I've duplicated this message on other forums. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
73 Posts
The heat shields are relatively thin and as they expand / cool down and contract they will make cracking / ticking noises - all quite normal.
If you have been driving hard (I assume not) or the car has just completed a DPF re-gen (most likely in you case) the exhaust is considerably hotter than normal / the heat shields will expand more and hence the cracking will be much more pronounced. If a DPF re-gen has just completed, you may also notice a smell like burning rubber at the tail pipes.

If a heat shield (or something else) was loose, you would hear it as a rattling when driving or car is idling - not when it's switched off / stationary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts