XF Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have the agony of waiting another 8 weeks before I get my S, I popped in to see my local rep for a coffee and chat, when he slid the keys to his S over to me and said "I have a test drive in a couple of hours, meantime have fun"
Being approximately 1.2Km from the A33 unresticted autobahn, I thought I would have a little play.
I put the car into S and pressed that button thing next to the brake, not sure what it does but the rep told me to do it. When I was almost at the end of the sliproad onto the Autobahn, I put the pedal through the floor...........Jesus H christ!!! :shock: The back end lost traction for a second or so whilst the wheels span, I even had a little smoke :twisted: then I was teleported to some other reality. The car just kept on going and going and thats where I realised something was missing....Is this car not supposed to be limited to 155mph? Well I had 164mph reading on the speedo!
I'm posted back to Blighty next year, so I shall be making the most of the dodgy limiter before I'm reduced to the UK's 70mph :roll:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Clarkson, on Top Gear (Sunday 19 July 2009) tested an XFR and was surprised it went through 165mph and in his words "and it is still accelerating". This too, is meant to be limited to 155mph, don't suppose many of us will get to test our own limiters out though?

But I am racing an XFR around Elvington this Thursday and will let everyone know what I get up to :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
The car is limited to 155, however as with all cars the speedo is always about 7-10% optimistic so when you are doing 80mph according to the speedo the car is only doing about 73mph. The trip computer average speed also reads high be the same amount

A good way of checking fior definate is to get hold of a sat nav with current speed functionality and this will demonstrate the difference

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iceman said:
The car is limited to 155, however as with all cars the speedo is always about 7-10% optimistic so when you are doing 80mph according to the speedo the car is only doing about 73mph. The trip computer average speed also reads high be the same amount

A good way of checking fior definate is to get hold of a sat nav with current speed functionality and this will demonstrate the difference
I know about the 10% leeway, but if the limiter doesn't go off the speedo, how does it know when it should cut in? As all engines differ, there would still be an amount of play if they did it off the revs. So unless there is a gps system connected to it, then there is no way the limiter would kick in at exactly 155mph.

Or am I talking Ballocks? :oops:
Perhaps someone technically minded could enlighten me. :geek: :D

But yes I agree that my true speed would hve been more in the region of 140 something, still made every other car look like it was parked!

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
I suspect Benn that one of the forum's latest members Geo3
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=683 could explain all the technicalities to you but whatever the truth is, just think how much quicker you will get to the limit when you finally get your car with its Aero R Body kit :lol:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AND....Don't forget that the Greys go faster than the UB's!!! :cool:

Blacks need more coats of paint than lighter colours so you'll be at least a few ounces heavier, don't forget in this day and age, weight is everything. :ugeek:

Hence I've skipped lunch today :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I managed to reach 135 mph on the A92 heading east out of Munich before the speed limiter in the left hand seat ordered me to slow down! I managed to cross check the indicated speed against my Garmin, which was showing 130 mph, only 5 mph less.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
penultimateblack said:
I managed to reach 135 mph on the A92 heading east out of Munich before the speed limiter in the left hand seat ordered me to slow down! I managed to cross check the indicated speed against my Garmin, which was showing 130 mph, only 5 mph less.
Oh I find it much faster with the left hand seat limiter removed :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
penultimateblack said:

How exactly did it "order" you?

Oh and what is it anyway :?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
dcsxf said:
penultimateblack said:

How exactly did it "order" you?

Oh and what is it anyway :?
SWMBO :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Doh - silly me :roll:

I don't have one of those - I have a SWIHSLAIAH :lol:

Should have dropped SWMBO off at nearest bus stop

- or alternatively should have got the factory fitted ejector seat £1,200 or £1,850 with sunroof

·
Registered
66 Posts
penultimateblack said:
I managed 13.5mph heading west on the A66 out of Pinreth Gladbach :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
dcsxf said:
Doh - silly me :roll:

I don't have one of those - I have a SWIHSLAIAH :lol:

Should have dropped SWMBO off at nearest bus stop

- or alternatively should have got the factory fitted ejector seat £1,200 or £1,850 with sunroof
No bus halterstelles on the autobahn :mrgreen:

·
Registered
204 Posts
penultimateblack said:
No bus halterstelles on the autobahn :mrgreen:
What about the guided busway down the middle of the autobahn in Essen? Mind you, I think it is a 100km/h stretch there so the speed limiter would be inoperative :D

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last week I decided to take my XF 3.0 S across the North Sea to Europe to give it a good run on the German Autobahn.

It was a GREAT feeling overtaking a police car @ 125MPH on the A1!! :twisted:

The speed limiter in my car is my wife :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
dcsxf said:
Clarkson, on Top Gear (Sunday 19 July 2009) tested an XFR and was surprised it went through 165mph and in his words "and it is still accelerating". This too, is meant to be limited to 155mph, don't suppose many of us will get to test our own limiters out though?

But I am racing an XFR around Elvington this Thursday and will let everyone know what I get up to :lol:
Just to let you know I got up to 168MPH

see

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1325

1 - 17 of 17 Posts