XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 XF 3 litre diesel (37,000 miles only) cooling fan runs as soon as the ignition is turned on, and runs for a short while when ignition turned off.
Have checked the coolant expansion tank level is fine, no alarm indicators on dashboard, using diagnostic tool no errors are present and coolant temperature displayed @ 20degC.
Any ideas on cause, I have switched the AC off but this makes no difference.
Booked into Jaguar for checks, but at a charge of £180 for diagnostic checks, looking exoensive.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My 2012 XF 2.2d did the same, but it was two days before I sold it, so I didn't do anything about it. The battery on my car needed changing, since it couldn't really hold a charge. XF's are known to behave strangely, when they have a faulty battery. How is your battery?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just a guess based on what you've described (as I have no practical experience with car engines), but could It be the temperature sensor at fault, this would cause the fan to run emidiately the car ignition is on and then runs on afterwards until the car times-out after a few minutes and cuts the power to the fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a guess based on what you've described (as I have no practical experience with car engines), but could It be the temperature sensor at fault, this would cause the fan to run emidiately the car ignition is on and then runs on afterwards until the car times-out after a few minutes and cuts the power to the fan.
Battery seems OK, no warning lights and car starts first time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using a diagnostic tool temperature sensor shows 20deg C, unlss there is a separate snsor for fan, I assumed this sensor did the job?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm feeling a little de-ja-vu as if this fault has cropped up before on these forums. Might be worth a thorough search if you haven't done so already.

Update:I did a quick search for 'cooling fan' and a couple of the reseults mentioned a fan module that's attached to the fan as a possible source of the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2012 XF 2.2d did the same, but it was two days before I sold it, so I didn't do anything about it. The battery on my car needed changing, since it couldn't really hold a charge. XF's are known to behave strangely, when they have a faulty battery. How is your battery?
Thanks for input, had battery checked and its OK, so off to Jaguar for an £180 dignostic check to rectify fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts