XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just taken delivery of XF diesel S Prem Lux and was considering how easy it would be to covert the headlamps to Xenons. There are plenty of after markets kits and I am aware of possible conflicts with the Can Bus and therefore specific kits would have to be fitted. any one had any experience of this?

Also does any one find the seats uncomfortable in the lower back its where the inner leather part of the seat is stiched? Have tried altering lumbar support.

:)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't think it is as easy as just changing the headlight units, they have to to have automatic levelling as well, quite a big job. I fitted the uprated Philips bulbs to mine (Halogen), they are supposed to give 90% more light, they do make a considerable difference. ;)

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
I think it is not possible for the reason that penultimateblack gives in his earlier post, copied below. :)

penultimateblack said:
boothy said:
Maybe this is just on the 2010 model - but I have an adjustment switch down on the right hand side - just above the boot release.
That switch is the instrument light rheostat boothy. Halogen cars have a second switch as below. Bi-xenons must be self levelling by law, I think. However the Bi-xenon HID lamp units can be adjusted manually.

I think I read somewhere that it will be necessary to have lamp washers installed as well :|

More here

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
TimXF said:
Hi

Just taken delivery of XF diesel S Prem Lux and was considering how easy it would be to covert the headlamps to Xenons. There are plenty of after markets kits and I am aware of possible conflicts with the Can Bus and therefore specific kits would have to be fitted. any one had any experience of this?

Also does any one find the seats uncomfortable in the lower back its where the inner leather part of the seat is stiched? Have tried altering lumbar support.

:)
Just noticed TimXF, welcome to the forum :)
Please consider adding a little info in your Profile via User Control Panel :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't know about the XF. My previous car had Halogens and I asked for quotes to replace with Xenon.
All were circa £600 as it's a big job. New wiring, levelling kit, plus lots of man hours.
If you want brighter lights take a look at the Philips X-Treme range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who have responded. I think I wont bother so have odered some 90% Osram Night breaker H7's.

My thanks to you all
:D

C

·
0 Posts
Upgrade to Xenon Units?

Has any one done this sort of upgrade using OEM units?

I've done it a couple of times on BMW's and it's generally a case of swapping lights over, adding suspension sensors on 2 opposite corners, ensuring you have headlight washers, replace light switch to eliminate adjuster wheel. Probably needs coding to compensate for lower wattage.

Sounds a lot, but more legal than wedging HID bulbs into halogen units.

Bits collected off eBay would make it a £500 job.

C

·
0 Posts
So my question got merged onto the end of a 2 year old dead thread....

I have no qualms whatsoever about changing switch units, suspension sensors, etc. Also no interest in high output bulbs or illegal HID units. Intention is to go full retrofit OEM (if I do it).

Just interested to know if anyone had done this so far?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Contrary to popular belief to fit aftermarket HID you are not required by construction and use laws to fit self leveling or washers - only standard fit (OEM) Zenons must have these, and there are no issues with MOTs.

I have not fitted a HID kit to the Jaguar as i have bi-zenons, however i did fit an aftermarket kit to a Porsche - this car too has a can bus and i had no problems at all, the kits are supplied with the bulbs, the ignitors and instructions, it was as simple as unplug the connection to the bulb and connect that cable to the ignitor, swap the bulbs over and connect the ignitor output lead to the new bulb.
I was very pleased with the result, i found it best to order a 6K kit.
As i have zenons i have not looked for aftermarket kits but if the kits are advertised as suitable for Jaguar XF then i would be assurred the can bus would not be an issue

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Contrary to popular belief to fit aftermarket HID you are not required by construction and use laws to fit self leveling or washers - only standard fit (OEM) Zenons must have these, and there are no issues with MOTs.

I have not fitted a HID kit to the Jaguar as i have bi-zenons, however i did fit an aftermarket kit to a Porsche - this car too has a can bus and i had no problems at all, the kits are supplied with the bulbs, the ignitors and instructions, it was as simple as unplug the connection to the bulb and connect that cable to the ignitor, swap the bulbs over and connect the ignitor output lead to the new bulb.
I was very pleased with the result, i found it best to order a 6K kit.
As i have zenons i have not looked for aftermarket kits but if the kits are advertised as suitable for Jaguar XF then i would be assurred the can bus would not be an issue
Even if you are right with this statement, which I doubt, a read of the contents of this link should discourage even the most hard headed.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

C

·
0 Posts
Gripper - just to be clear your opening statement is wrong or at least misleading. In the UK the only legal xenon (spelt with a X not a Z) are OEM fitted and supplied as new purchase. Any form of HID or aftermarket kit is illegal. In fact even fully fitting an oem system is in theory illegal.

For OEM themsleves to be legal at factory fit time they have to have self levelling, typically controlled by sensors on the suspension to sense load and also pitch and yaw. They also have to have headlight washers to supposedly remove dirt that can diffuse the beam.

Many people have passed MOT's with all sorts of aftermarket kits fitted but the law is closing in and soon the MOT will be testi when they figure it all out.

If I did do any conversion it would be for a full OEM based system using light units, sensors, correct switches and washers and although strictly still illegal I very much doubt it woudl ever raise any interest, indeed I've done just such a conversion on 2 BMW's I have/do own.

·
0 Posts
Having just joined and posted a question on this( sorry but the search gave no results)
I have had 2 previous cars with Xenon kits fitted and had NO problems at all,
these being fitted on cars with Can bus, both being reflector units.
A car with projectors is still running round with a conversion and has passed MOT's every
year without problems.

C

·
0 Posts
Having just joined and posted a question on this( sorry but the search gave no results)
I have had 2 previous cars with Xenon kits fitted and had NO problems at all,
these being fitted on cars with Can bus, both being reflector units.
A car with projectors is still running round with a conversion and has passed MOT's every
year without problems.
I have no doubt whatsoever that the canbus accepts hid lights exactly the same. All the units need is a small circuit that on start up tells it there is a 55w current draw not 35w of xenon. In terms of passing MOt's they will for now. Regardless they ARE illegal and do to some extent dazzle and scatter light. That doesn't mean people don't fit them nor sellers hide the full facts.

C

·
0 Posts
So by way of a brief update I've succesfully test fitted a pair of OEM xenon headlights into my XF. Tried the Osram nighbreakers for a couple of weeks and way better, but not good enough so decided I needed the next step up

Snapped up on a well known auction site in 2 separate transaction I bagged a pair of unmarked 'as-new' with ballast, bulbs, ignitor, headlight washers, etc for £120 the pair inc. delivery :) Nice saving off the new price of over £2k

Good news is they are plug and play fully functional in all aspects, except the 45degree cornering lights. Currenlty fitted, static beam position adjusted and under test. No error codes, no light flashing at me, so happy so far :)

For now they are no worse than putting aftermarket kits in (which one Jaguar dealer is still doing and recommended unaware of MOT changes next year), indeed better in many ways as the focul length of the lens, bulb position, etc. is spot on and no beam scatter. Upside though is awesome xenon lights..

Phase II will take a little longer. Having read the full factory wiring diagrams, manual and parts lists, I next need to build in the washer reservoir with 2nd pump. 2 suspension sensors, levelling module and the replacement auxiliary light switch. Should keep me amused for a while figuring out the new loom wiring :)

Will keep those interested updated.

R

·
0 Posts
The "Vehicle and Operator Service Agency" 2012 MOT Inspection Manual PDF is available and there is no requirement for headlamp washers with HID lights. It just says they MAY be fitted and tested if they are:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special notices/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

C

·
0 Posts
Robin

I'd already read that and been in discussion with some other guys on another forum about it . Jury is out at present to see how MOT testers react to it and what actually becomes a pass or fail, given the intention of the change appears to be to eliminate poorly fitted and adjusted aftermarket HID's

Obviously if it proves not to be an issue I can simply scrap phase II of my project, although I jus like getting things 'right'.

R

·
0 Posts
Robin

I'd already read that and been in discussion with some other guys on another forum about it . Jury is out at present to see how MOT testers react to it and what actually becomes a pass or fail, given the intention of the change appears to be to eliminate poorly fitted and adjusted aftermarket HID's

Obviously if it proves not to be an issue I can simply scrap phase II of my project, although I jus like getting things 'right'.
Indeed, just pointing out that the myth going around that washers are a requirement for 2012 MOT's is just that.
Such as:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

The Crown copyright testers manual HAS to be correct rather than a motoring organisation web page

A

·
0 Posts
So by way of a brief update I've succesfully test fitted a pair of OEM xenon headlights into my XF. Tried the Osram nighbreakers for a couple of weeks and way better, but not good enough so decided I needed the next step up

Snapped up on a well known auction site in 2 separate transaction I bagged a pair of unmarked 'as-new' with ballast, bulbs, ignitor, headlight washers, etc for £120 the pair inc. delivery :) Nice saving off the new price of over £2k

Good news is they are plug and play fully functional in all aspects, except the 45degree cornering lights. Currenlty fitted, static beam position adjusted and under test. No error codes, no light flashing at me, so happy so far :)

For now they are no worse than putting aftermarket kits in (which one Jaguar dealer is still doing and recommended unaware of MOT changes next year), indeed better in many ways as the focul length of the lens, bulb position, etc. is spot on and no beam scatter. Upside though is awesome xenon lights..

Phase II will take a little longer. Having read the full factory wiring diagrams, manual and parts lists, I next need to build in the washer reservoir with 2nd pump. 2 suspension sensors, levelling module and the replacement auxiliary light switch. Should keep me amused for a while figuring out the new loom wiring :)

Will keep those interested updated.
Cj,

That is a tremendous price for both lights, you must have snapped them up quick, as I too have been watching for a set of lights to see if a conversion is possible, currently I have an aftermarket HID kit fitted.

Keep the updates coming, I will be eagerly waiting for your progress reports on a fully functioning system.

C

·
0 Posts
Ancill
In this case the lights were badly listed. One was a xenon but not mentioned as such but obvious from the photo.
Other was just pot luck and listed somehow that didn't show well on searches.
Normal prices seem between £200 and £500 a corner :(
Will keep you informed but pm me for more details

G

·
0 Posts
Cornering lamps are a bit of a novelty although headlamp washers would be useful. The main thing is that you have now got xenons.

Anyway, proper xenons for less than an HID kit is a result in my book.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts