XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On holiday from UK in sunny Punta Gorda, Florida. Got friendly with a fantastic couple living in villa next door and inevitably subject gets around to what we drive in the UK. Got a Ford Edge 3.5l hire car which is unbelievably sluggish compared to the XF. I know it's a chunkier car but with an petrol engine like that surely it should take off? Anyway, we talked about the Jaguar and initially they looked very interested and asked if we were impressed. Once we mentioned it was a 2.2 engine, this couple's faces fell and they looked completely underwhelmed! :-( until we mentioned MPG (their Cadillac saloon gets 14 mpg urban/24 extra urban) however, with petrol being $3.60 a gallon around here- about £2.32, I guess they are not too worried! :eek:

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
At least Baron95 is thrilled with the 2.2. If only because its production by Jaguar will enable them to deliver his next car, an XFR S which might return 10mpg :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Remember that UK gallons are 20% larger than US gallons, so the mpg and cost values need to be increased by 20% to compare with UK values.

David

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Edge is considered more of a SUV vehicle and has a curb weight of almost 4,100 lbs. It probably isn't geared for exciting launches but to move loads of people and things. Although with 260 HP you would think it could move a bit? Plus you probably only got 15 mpg or so around town? My Nissan SUV has about the same HP and on the highway it may get up to 19 mpg. A 2.2L engine in the states does sound a bit small to many. I remember when most luxury cars had to have large 6.6L engines with dual 4 barrel carburetors. But then again your mileage stats for a vehicle the size of an XF is pretty amazing for the speeds. What are your current prices for gas?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not to mention that most Americans just don't get our interest in Diesel and a 2.2 would be like a lawnmower to them! lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
So did a little conversion table to show UK fuel prices and convert from Litres to Imp Gallons and to US gallons and then show £ & $ prices

Conversion Litres to Imp Gallon 4.54609
Conversion Litres to US Gallon 3.78541

Price (£) per litre ....Fuel Type .................Price (£) per gallon .......UK Price ($) per US gallon
1.37 .....................Unleaded ..................6.23 ...........................8.04
1.42 .....................Diesel .......................6.46 ...........................8.33
1.45 .....................Prem Unleaded ........6.59 ............................8.51
1.50 .....................Prem Diesel ..............6.81 ............................8.79

USD/GBP Exchange rate used = 1.55 - UK fuel prices are average as per Fuel Prices website.

Upshot is we pay over double the US price for Petrol or look at it another way in the US with their prices its like getting 50 MPG from a XF V8 rather than 25 MPG. I think more of us would have V8's on thse numbers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the quote about the lawnmower! That's exactly the effect mentioning 2.2 Diesel had on this couple. They were really impressed with the photos of the XF but the power under the bonnet caused an embarrassing silence. They tried to make us feel better by saying 'Well, although our gas is cheaper, we do have to fill up more often';)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love the quote about the lawnmower! That's exactly the effect mentioning 2.2 Diesel had on this couple. They were really impressed with the photos of the XF but the power under the bonnet caused an embarrassing silence. They tried to make us feel better by saying 'Well, although our gas is cheaper, we do have to fill up more often';)
Worse yet if they did the conversion to cubic inches - 134.

Now that I think about it, my Vega had 140 cubic inches (V4) and 80 HP. The memories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts