XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am usually fairly decisive but I am having palpitations deciding on the "right" colour for my xf. I don't know whether it's because I never before spent remotely near this much money on a car before but it's so difficult. I have placed an order and specified Liquid Silver, my reasoning being that silver definitely appears to be cleaner for longer, useful if I have a busy or lazy spell. I also reasoned that in our climate, which features a lot of gloomy light, it looks better more of the time. It is used a lot in brochures/marketing material so must show off the car well. It is also a conservative choice and safer come resale time (more potential buyers).
However, I also really like Lunar Grey, because i think it looks very classy. It also closely resembles the Gunmetal 3.4 Mk 2 in my garage(don't be too impressed, I have owned it for many years but it needs a major restoration)
Most definitely a personal choice, but thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Stick with the silver its the best choice not just that it always looks clean but looks its best why do you think Jaguar mainly used silver for their XF brochures.

gary

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I pick up my 2nd XF in a couple of weeks once again in Lunar Grey! As you say a very classy colour. IMO its the best of both worlds, in-between ultimate black and liquid silver, certainly shows the body shape well and doesn't need cleaning every five minutes either!

Ignore Gary, he's biased :lol:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can see the sense of silver, but to my mind it looks a little "flat" and there are so many silver cars on the road. I think the lines and chrome detailing stand out much better against a darker colour - hence my choice of Vapour Grey - light enough to not have to be cleaning every week, but dark enough to provide contrast - and classy looking.

At the end of the day though it has to be a choice that you are happy with. What colour interior are you choosing - as I think that has a bearing on your exterior?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have chosen warm charcoal (posh black) for the interior. The spice is too orange, the ivory would have been nice but I would like the interior to still look as new in a few years time in case it's a keeper. My current bmw 330d black interior still looks like new after five years

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi taffie! Boy, this is the topic of the century. Its the one that keeps me up at night wondering if Ive made the right choice. I have ordered a prem. lux. portfolio to arrive in mid-Oct. I chose Lunar Grey/Spice/Figured Ebony sight unseen. I have just seen a Lunar Grey at the dealer and now I know I have made the right choice. IMHO, the Grey plays better with the chrome than does the Silver. This car looks dynamic in all colors but really looks over the top in the darker ones. This LG is just that hint of "dark" to show the lines beautifully and to remain fairly clean-looking throughout the year. I saw it both in the sun and clouds to which I say :D :D :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Frost Blue - see my sig ;)

actually, the liquid silver isn't dissimilar from some angles. i'm not the biggest fan of the darker grey or black - it just strikes me as being a bit dull (sorry folks, just my opinion)

i prefer the other colours as the car seems to stand out more - i like the royal blue, and i'm a big fan of the white, though i know that's def not to everyones taste.

·
Registered
628 Posts
taffie999 said:
I have chosen warm charcoal (posh black) for the interior. The spice is too orange, the ivory would have been nice but I would like the interior to still look as new in a few years time in case it's a keeper. My current bmw 330d black interior still looks like new after five years
I have chosen Spice ONLY because, as you say, ivory would have been a nightmare to keep clean. I have had black interiors for way too long and I wanted something different. It is a bit too "orangy" but it does stand out in a crowd. Whatever colors we choose, its still a Jag and its beautiful!

·
Registered
306 Posts
zx10ben said:
I pick up my 2nd XF in a couple of weeks once again in Lunar Grey! As you say a very classy colour. IMO its the best of both worlds, in-between ultimate black and liquid silver, certainly shows the body shape well and doesn't need cleaning every five minutes either!

Ignore Gary, he's biased :lol:
Me biased, how can you say such a thing just because my last 3 cars have been silver.

Joking aside the jaguar liquid silver does shine up well much better than the MBs and Beemers.

gary - Gold is for jewellery silver is for cars, oh and black is for the inside of teapots..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to clarify, I am not being critical of the Spice interior, (nor of anything else -this is a totally subjective issue) I came close to ordering it myself, I think the excessive "orangeness" comes from flash photography, I have not physically seen a car with this option so am not brave enough to order sight unseen based on a small sample held in showrooms. I have a feeling it will look fantastic. I also have a feeling that much of my indecisiveness is down to buyers anxiety and the knowledge that I may keep ther Jag for a long time
Keep the comments coming, as they are useful.

·
Registered
628 Posts
taffie999 said:
Just to clarify, I am not being critical of the Spice interior, (nor of anything else -this is a totally subjective issue) I came close to ordering it myself, I think the excessive "orangeness" comes from flash photography, I have not physically seen a car with this option so am not brave enough to order sight unseen based on a small sample held in showrooms. I have a feeling it will look fantastic. I also have a feeling that much of my indecisiveness is down to buyers anxiety and the knowledge that I may keep ther Jag for a long time
Keep the comments coming, as they are useful.
taf, I have seen the Spice and it is a bit "orangy", more than I would have liked seeing but not enough for me to pick another color :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
black is for the inside of teapots..

LOL, I like it.

I decided to go for UB on my XFR decause it was the colour that looked the meanest :twisted:

I have gone for the Red Zone interior though just to "spice" it up a little :cool:

·
Registered
306 Posts
In response to the earlier comments the ivory is not a nightmare to keep clean. I have it!

As for colour choice, well we are all different which is a good thing. Radiance red for me looks very smart.

It is all personal opinion.

·
Registered
628 Posts
twosheds said:
In response to the earlier comments the ivory is not a nightmare to keep clean. I have it!

As for colour choice, well we are all different which is a good thing. Radiance red for me looks very smart.

It is all personal opinion.
Sounds like a beautiful combo! Good to hear that Ivory is a "liveable" color. I hope Im at spec. lock because I am driving my dealer crazy with changes every week!!!!!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a "sand" interior on my X-type which was a light beige - wasn't too bad to keep clean, but though I'd switch to a black interior for my current car (Passat). IMO the black shows up dirt much more readily as dust is a whitey/grey, and any mud dries light brown.

Thats why its back to a light colour (Barley) for my XF.

·
Registered
65 Posts
None of us can really advise you on this. I have to say that I agree with the post that describes silver as "flat" and the other that recommends Lunar. I didn't choose that myself but would happily have gone with it. Has anyone any experience of the two new colours there's a new red, isn't there, and a new blue to replace the light blue that isn't Frost - sorry - forgotten the name.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Growler said:
I can see the sense of silver, but to my mind it looks a little "flat" and there are so many silver cars on the road. I think the lines and chrome detailing stand out much better against a darker colour - hence my choice of Vapour Grey - light enough to not have to be cleaning every week, but dark enough to provide contrast - and classy looking.

At the end of the day though it has to be a choice that you are happy with. What colour interior are you choosing - as I think that has a bearing on your exterior?
My words exactly, that's why I chose Vapour Grey too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought the new red - Claret - looked nice on the production line, a bit "richer" than Radiance.

I have just finished reading Nigel Thorley's book on the (original) Jaguar XK - and Indigo Blue, Pearl Grey and Claret were all available on the 1957 XK150!

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
I went on a factory tour of Castle Bromwich today, so have had the privilege of seeing all the current colours on the production line (as well as dozens of XJs, but I'm not going to rub your faces in it!)

My reactions to the colours were different from what I imagined they would be. Firstly, though I am sure I will get flamed for this, I will dismiss all grays, silvers and blacks. Though I completely understand the reasons for them, and have owned a black car in the past, they will remain a failure to choose a colour. They just seem too boring a choice for what is far more "an expression of joy" than any current BMW apart from possibly the current Z4 roadster.

White does look good on the XF, especially when clean. I'm not sure if there is a bit of yellow/cream in the Porcelain paint, but somehow it looks richer and less clinical on this car than most others.

Claret Red was a revelation. I'm not a fan of red cars, but it was somehow rich, luxurious and understated whilst still being fresh and interesting. Would definitely have considered this had it been an option for me.

Indigo was an interesting colour but a bit too understated for me.

Spectrum blue is nothing short of a disaster. Somehow the opposite of radiance red - vulgar without even having the decency to be bright and cheery.

My favourite, however, has to be the Kyanite blue - demanding attention without offense. It had been a while since I had seen it in the flesh, and so I was so glad that it jumped out at me as completely transforming and improving the look of the car as a whole. Unhelpful advice, I know, for people not willing to contemplate an XFR, but I'll be happy in its overwhelming rarity.

One colour I can't comment on is Salsa red. During the tour I must have seen at least 300 cars at some point in their manufacture. I don't recall seeing one. I for one am not surprised.

David

·
Registered
628 Posts
David, a great combo would be Salsa and chips!! Even though I believe that the Greys and Blacks look stunning on the XF, I appreciated your post. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts