XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told by the firm that I can at last order my XF, so long as I take delivery in January. But, here is the question - do I go for a 2.7D in January, or hold out for the 3.0D in March? It's not performance that I'm thinking about, it's more the money (sorry!). In other words I understand the list price will be about £1000 more, but will leasing costs reflect that? And does anyone have any gen on emissions figures that will help predict any difference in tax?

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wait for the new one, no question!!. don’t even bother considering the 2.7, you will be disappointed.

I love my XF but every time I see an Audi or BMW 3.0 I question why I picked the Jag.

The reason is that it looks stunning and drives brilliantly, with a proper diesel engine it would be absolutely perfect (as long as you don’t use the sat nav or Ipod connector :( )

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
jp4712 said:
And does anyone have any gen on emissions figures that will help predict any difference in tax?

Thanks in advance

Paul
I seem to remember being told it is 189 gm

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
jp4712 said:
I've been told by the firm that I can at last order my XF, so long as I take delivery in January. But, here is the question - do I go for a 2.7D in January, or hold out for the 3.0D in March? It's not performance that I'm thinking about, it's more the money (sorry!). In other words I understand the list price will be about £1000 more, but will leasing costs reflect that? And does anyone have any gen on emissions figures that will help predict any difference in tax?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Paul,
In most of the road tests conducted by the motoring magazines shortly after the launch of the XF, which you have probably read, comparisons were made with cars from BMW. Mercedes, and Audi.
Most reported that the XF lacked the punch of some of those cars, in particular the BMW. One magazine rated the XF, What Car "Car of the Year". Keep in mind that the vast majority of XF owners are entirely happy with their car to the extent that they have never clicked on this forum and as a result are probably unaware of any niggles with the car.
In relation to 3.0D availability and issues with the XF you can read below what Craig, who has a good source within Jaguar, wrote earlier this year in reply to Waylon

craig said:
The 3.0 diesel is due for Autumn 09 apparently so it will be quite a wait and will not provide anything you cant get from a remapped 2.7

In terms of the issues reported bear in mind two things.....

Most of our cars were the first built so teething problems can be expected as with anything where you are an early adopter

The number of issues reported on a forum will look high but in the grand scale of the number of owners around it is not necessarily representative of the real picture. Lots of people come onto forums like this to vent their spleen when they have an issue
http://www.xfforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... tumn#p2362

I think that Craig might say that the 3.0D will be launched in the Spring of 09 but that you would need to be lucky to get one before mid summer / autumn. At that time you might then be thinking about the 59 registration plate and the residual value of any present car being traded in.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My dealer principal has driven the 3.0D XF at Gaydon recently and has confirmed it will be on sale from March 2009. 2.7D production will be cut back drastically in the new year to avoid the need for discounts on the old model and maintain residuals. I understand the new engine is a big improvement with considerably lower emissions and better fuel consumption. It will cost around £1000 more than a 2.7D

·
Registered
193 Posts
rclifford said:
I love my XF but every time I see an Audi or BMW 3.0 I question why I picked the Jag.
Thats funny because every time I see one of those other cars you mention (like every few seconds!) I am so pleased I bought the Jag. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Doesnt that just cheer me up, knowing I am just about to take delivery of my 2.7D and already there is something to supercede it!

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
micalee said:
Doesnt that just cheer me up, knowing I am just about to take delivery of my 2.7D and already there is something to supercede it!
Just forget all about it. You won't see one of those for quite a while and most owners are perfectly content with the 2.7 :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would wait for the 3.0d without a shadow of a doubt. It's the engine the XF should have had from the start. The 2.7d V6 is out of its depth in the XF but Jag have still done a great job to keep it as refined as it is.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
Just forget all about it. You won't see one of those for quite a while and most owners are perfectly content with the 2.7 :)
I wouldn't call four months quite a while! Roma is right - wait for the 3.0D. However, I am perfectly happy with my car and have no plans to replace it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes the release date of the 3.0 has been moved back to the spring. Tough one really though as you are faced with two scenarios....

get the 2.7 and wish you had the 3.0

wait for the 3.0 and end up doing some of the testing for them as it has never been used before

Guess its not only about extra power (which you could get to the same level if your remap your 2.7) but about whether you want a proven powerplant or one that is new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts