XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a letter in the mail today from Statstone in Derby informing me that my XF is due for its first service and a provisional booking date offered.I did not purchase the car from them and as far as I know they did not have my home address.Following a phone call to them it appears that because I used them in an emergency when driving through Derby last February because I could not open the fuel flap on the car after spending a frustrating 10 minutes on a filling station forecourt my address had been traced through the registration plate on my car and entered on their data base.My supplying dealer, who now has the letter is not happy that one of their customers has been contacted by another dealer touting for servicing work following a questionable method of obtaining my details.My supplying dealer is doing the first service at 14500 miles and has matched the price I was recently quoted by an independant Jaguar garage of £185 so I am very happy.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
hydrajaws said:
Received a letter in the mail today from Statstone in Derby informing me that my XF is due for its first service and a provisional booking date offered.I did not purchase the car from them and as far as I know they did not have my home address.Following a phone call to them it appears that because I used them in an emergency when driving through Derby last February because I could not open the fuel flap on the car after spending a frustrating 10 minutes on a filling station forecourt my address had been traced through the registration plate on my car and entered on their data base.My supplying dealer, who now has the letter is not happy that one of their customers has been contacted by another dealer touting for servicing work following a questionable method of obtaining my details.My supplying dealer is doing the first service at 14500 miles and has matched the price I was recently quoted by an independant Jaguar garage of £185 so I am very happy.
Are you sure that you did not provide a name and address at the time that the workshop job sheet was created :?:
This is usual proceedure for the reason that the dealer would have wanted payment from Jaguar to rectify your fuel filler flap issue.
It would be no surprise to learn that Jaguar would have wanted to know for whom the work, under warranty, was being carried out, A. to monitor a cars history and B. so they could discover your assessment of the service provided by the dealer, via the usual independent survey.
With regard to the letter sent to you offering service, I think this was entirely proper and a perfectly sound marketing exercise. After all, you took your car to them for service work and surely at that time they would be entitled to think that they had gained a new service customer.
My only comment about the price of the servicing you have been offered is to ask, are you sure that the price includes all consumables, like air filter,7 litres of oil at about £60, some plug or other and on top of all that, VAT at 15% :?: I was told that my last service would be about £200 but in the end the bill was nearly £300 :!: When I questioned this I was told that the servicing cost was as stated and that consumables and tax were always in addition. :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See my reply under "Servicing Costs" topic.
I called on Statstone Derby with an emergency situation "A Fuel flap opening problem" and a low fuel level so this was not a service call so I disagree with your comment Pekem regarding the circumstances under which they somehow obtained my home address and then touted for the first service on my car.My own main dealer also considers this practice to be unethical and will probably discuss it with their Jaguar area representative.
The reduced cost of the service I managed to obtain from my main dealer will of course include the items set out on the service sheet JLR 13 14 10_ 1E which I have listed.
Prices generally quoted by main dealers are all in and include the items on the service sheet plus a valet and include VAT.It would appear then that you paid a high price for your first service,but it is good that some main dealers do not want to loose customers and are prepared to reduce their inflated costs in order to compete with the excellent independant Garages.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts