XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous car was a sports car so i'm accustomed to checking the basics of a car very regularly: oil level, coolant level, windscreen washer fluid, tyre pressures etc.

I asked the dealer on Saturday if the tyres had been inflated to the correct pressures and he was absolutely adamant that the technicians had taken care over this and set the tyre pressures correctly (I had asked the dealer to double-check the tyre pressures before I collected the car). I took his word that they were okay when I collected the car.

Early this morning I checked my cold tyre pressures and found them to be:

- Rear-nearside: 37 psi
- Rear-offside: 36.5 psi

- Front-nearside: 32
- Front-nearside: 31.5

So, the two fronts were not far off the recommended tyre pressures but the rears had been set to the wrong pressures for 0-100mph driving and were over-inflated by around 5 psi (for 19" wheels). It looks like the dealer had mis-read the tyre pressure label on the car and set the fronts up for 0-100mph driving (correctly) and set the rears up for 100mph+ driving (incorrectly).

I used a high-quality digital tyre-pressure gauge to measure the tyre pressures. So, I'd recommend not taking your dealers word that the PDI had been done correctly. Your tyres are the only thing that keeps you on the road and correct tyre pressures are very important for your safety.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
High speed rear pressure - <100 mph front pressure!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Roma said:
Vapourgrey said:
High speed rear pressure - <100 mph front pressure!
:D Now THAT would be an interesting achievement!
That's as near as dmmit what you got! 31 psi below 100 mph Front . 38 psi above 100 mph Rear

·
Registered
61 Posts
38 PSI all round when i got mine not going 100+ and 2 up most of the time :?: . mentioned it to dealer and asked why said don't know ??

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quite often the pressures in tyres are set very high by factories to prevent flat spots on the tyres from developing if the car is not driven or moved for a few weeks. The PDI should fix this though but it appears that it isn't happening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts