XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all, apologies if this has been asked before

Back ground is that I have my XF getting on 2 years and I usually move them on now as I'm getting bored - and before they run out of warranty/need a new MOT etc. Yes, I know I'm mad and it is very expensive but over the last 10 years since I did this, I never have repairs bills or broken down and my cars have never broken down.

I've had a look around at the usual competition (E class - have had three of this, BMW -too boxy, Audi - chavvy image IMHO - sorry to any Audi fans etc) and I could only go for another XF - and mine has a nice spec (lux with winter pack, full leccy leather and camera )that would cost so much to replace so I'm gonna hang on for another year or two.
However, it does mean that around 2 years and 2 months, I will need a B service and 4 new tyres circa £1k). Now, rather than get another 4 17", I was thinging about upgrading to 19" to refresh the look of teh car, as teh ursa's are a bit pun
There are a few suitable sets on ebay - plenty of aftermarket wheels but I have to stick to OEM wheels for insurance purposes. So:
1.are all XF (pre and post face lift interchangeable)?
and
2.If I replace my 235/55/17 with something like a 245/40/19 will the speedo still read right ? Or does that need converting (and how do I do that?)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hi Carabind I do not know this for sure but I don't think you have to adjust anything as when the wheel gets bigger the tyre gets thinner working out to the same diameter I may be wrong and I am sure some one who knows will be along soon:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is an adjustment setting for different wheel/tyre sizes but I think it needs a trip to a dealer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far, albeit they conflict !
Anyone actually out there how has swapped and knows for sure?

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are other threads on this but in brief the difference in rolling circumference between 17" and 19", when used with the recommended tyre sizes, is rather less than the difference between a new tyre and a worn one. So, no need for a trip to the dealer.
But I downgraded from 19" to 18" for winter and am considering sticking with the bigger wheels - much nicer ride. 17" probably even better but they don't fit my car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 20" wheels for summer and 18" for winter, the difference in rolling circumference is 1.4%. Definitely nothing to become even slightly concerned about.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi
I run my XF MY2012 one inch less than Andy: 19" summer and 17" winter - makes big difference as 17" helps a lot if your Jag has to master snow and/or cold.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Given that you are going for a larger wheel, I would't think there should be any worries. If you were coming down the way for, for example to fit winter wheels, and you had a set of high performance brake calipers on the car, then you might have to check that the wheel would have enough clearance over the caliper.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Given that you are going for a larger wheel, I would't think there should be any worries. If you were coming down the way for, for example to fit winter wheels, and you had a set of high performance brake calipers on the car, then you might have to check that the wheel would have enough clearance over the caliper.
This is very true. For example, the facelift XFR can only take 20" wheels and I believe the XFS can only take to 18" all due to brake calipers clearance.
i also understand that the dealer has to set the actual wheel size in the management system but as the rolling circumferences are very similar this is not essential.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If switching from 20" for winter wheels, does the dynamic suspension on the XFR/SV8 still work OK with 18" or 19" wheels?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
If switching from 20" for winter wheels, does the dynamic suspension on the XFR/SV8 still work OK with 18" or 19" wheels?
Mine does.
18" or 19" certainly are ok with the 3.0D S but if we are talking about the XFR I´d be careful. Not in regard to the dynamic suspension but in regard to the size of the brakes. Smaller wheels might not fit the XFR ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah, I've read about brake clearance, but it was more the dynamic suspension I am curious about. If it drives like a pig on 18" wheels the benefit of the winter rubber will not be worth it! But a spare set of 20" rims and winter tyres is going to cost a fair whack. Which other XF's have the dynamic suspension, is it an option on non XFR/SV8's?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got the adaptive dynamics on mine, there is hardly any difference to be felt between wheel sizes. I got just about every option on the list except the sunroof as I didn't want to lose any head room (I'm only 5'10" but with a long body and short legs).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great cheers, I'll see how I find the drive on the 20" wheels and see if it's worth swapping or just leaving the car at home in the bad weather!

·
Registered
970 Posts
On the 3.0 DS, using the on-line configurator, the adaptive dynamics option is indicated to be available only with 19" and 20" wheels. Whether it is compatible with 18" is of course another matter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My car came with 20" wheels, in December I put the 18" wheels on with winter tyres and have no problems. I fact, if you buy an XF-S on the German market it comes with 18" wheels as standard and anything else is an optional extra.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Wheel size is both model and year specific due to brake disk size changes. For example, I believe my old SV8 could take 19" and 20" wheels as could the early XFRs I believe but the newer XFRs will only handle 20" wheels due to larger brakes.
I've only ever had 20" wheels so don't know if there is any change to dynamic suspension but I'd not think it would be noticeable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts