XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't decide if I should ask for the inserts to be replaced or not. :?
Below is a picture of just one wheel insert but it is the same on all wheels to a greater or lesser degree. At first I thought it was scratching but it doesn't feel like it.
Then I thought that it was polish residue but it doesn't respond to cleaning. After that I wondered if it might be a surface finish delaminating.
In the end I have decided to ask if anyone has seen it before or knows what it might be. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: Is that right? Should it look like that? Does yours?

Mine looked like that when the car came back from its lengthy stay at the dealers (someone swapped them) I complained and they were exchanged under warranty in 2 seconds flat. They are easy to get pinched or swapped or as my dealer said "fall off" so its worth while keeping an eye on them.

gary

·
Registered
92 Posts

yes its corrosion under the lacquer - water ingress from general driving and jet washes.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That's it then, thank you everyone.
I will pop my car in to the dealer and ask for them to be dealt with :)

·
Registered
618 Posts

Ive seen quite a few go like that. One of mine was replaced free at the service

·
Registered
35 Posts

Hi

A "Newbie" here but I have just purchased an XF, only 9 months old, and have noticed my wheel inserts are corroded under the lacquer.

Can "any" main Jag dealer change these on warranty?

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
698 Posts
Your warranty is applicable at all Jaguar dealers, not just the one you purchased the car from.

Ian.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am currenty on my second set of inserts (replaced at both yearly services) and had no problem getting them changed.
Hopefully the manufacturing issue has been sorted and I won't need a set at the year 3 service!
:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have seen this on several inserts that were about 2 years old. It looks like ingress of the elements under the topcoat. If the manufacturing process is not the cleanest, the top coat will not seal properly and allow the staining as your picture shows.

L

·
0 Posts
Just had my 5 month old inserts changed when they fitted the TPMS as a warranty item, they had the dreaded 'worm' look.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just checked mine....Guess what...corrosion present :(

This is my 3rd set :eek: , last replaced in March during service.

Get them replaced at next service again :roll:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
Just checked mine....Guess what...corrosion present :(

This is my 3rd set :eek: , last replaced in March during service.

Get them replaced at next service again :roll:
Treat them as a service item and renew them every year for the price of two litres of oil.

L

·
0 Posts
I wonder if we could get a big discount by buying them in bulk and selling them on?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also had mine replaced at the second service. Done under warranty with the dealer just asking at the time of booking if all four were required, which they were. Mine started to go after about 14 months. I think that Jaguar need to buy some sturdier lacquer that is up to the job for something which is sited in such a hostile environment and yet is in clear view when you approach the car.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
penultimateblack said:
Treat them as a service item and renew them every year for the price of two litres of oil.
Or six litres, if like you, you own an Aston Martin :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
penultimateblack said:

Or six litres, if like you, you own an Aston Martin :lol:
One and a half :D :D
[attachment=1:pc4aceox]Screen shot 2010-11-01 at 07.01.04.png[/attachment:pc4aceox]
[attachment=0:pc4aceox]Screen shot 2010-11-01 at 07.02.05.png[/attachment:pc4aceox]

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wonder how much of the corrosion is the result of agressive / acid based wheel cleaners. I am not saying that the inserts shouldn't be able to stand up to water, salt, dirt etc... but I am sure that the acid based wheel cleaners have an impact here.

Until 'educated' I used to use 'Wonder Wheels' on all of my cars and my wife's previous car, a Focus (very low mileage and owned from new) suffered from severely corroded discs which were attributed to the wheel cleaner. The 'Ford' centre caps also discolured very quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You shouldn't have to replace these every year!
I also have a 12 year old jaguar which has its original centres which are still in good condition and the car is cleaned the same way as my xf.
Its down to cost and poor manufacturing which unfortunately does not become apparent in the cars test phase but only in real life usage of the car.

Hopefully this issue has been resolved in later cars by a change of manufacturing/materials.

JDM

1 - 20 of 70 Posts