XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excellent (yes another very positive) first drive write-up in today’s Sunday Times page 22 ingear section also same article online

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin ... 112422.ece

although its not necessarily very good reading for those with 2.7’s and not too complimentary about the painfully dated navi & entertainment systems when compared to new Merc’s & BMW – but I knew this anyway. I’m not buying my XF for its Navi system otherwise I would buy a Lexus or a tom tom! The journalist said that the car performed ……………better than any comparable car he had driven!

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
RPB1 said:
Excellent (yes another very positive) first drive write-up in today’s Sunday Times page 22 ingear section also same article online

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin ... 112422.ece

although its not necessarily very good reading for those with 2.7’s and not too complimentary about the painfully dated navi & entertainment systems when compared to new Merc’s & BMW – but I knew this anyway. I’m not buying my XF for its Navi system otherwise I would buy a Lexus or a tom tom! The journalist said that the car performed ……………better than any comparable car he had driven!
I think it is interesting that some motoring journalists seem to think that everyone wants to drive fast everywhere; I don't have that desire at all.

Andrew Frankel
writing for the The Times said:
"Current XF owners won’t welcome the way the XF S gets down a winding road either. Jaguar has played against type and been bold in the provision of some distinctly sporting suspension tuning, allowing the car to corner flat and incongruously fast for such a large and heavy saloon"

I am very happy with the performance of my 2.7 PL and as I remarked in my report, link below, after driving the SpiresST car recently:

"That is really the aspect of performance enhancement which causes me most concern. Yes, I know that is what it is all about but the truth is that I don’t want or need the adrenaline rush induced by high speed driving on the A14 with its "Specs" cameras and monstrous casualty record."

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=869

Andrew Frankel also wrote
"Also, space in the rear is so restricted that the XF will be struck from the shopping list of anyone needing to regularly carry adult passengers."

When the XF was first launched I don't recall reading that extreme view, indeed most reports were not really hung up about it at all.
As for the Navigation System in the XF, it is far better than the Tom Tom I was using on my Nokia PDA :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Whilst it is always difficult to accept when your chosen purchase has been superseded in some respects in this instance by an engine upgrade, I have absolutely no regrets at choosing the 2.7. If I had wanted more performance, I could have opted for the petrol engines. I was and am very content with the performance of the 2.7 which is more than adequate for my style of driving. In addition, I am not certain I would enjoy the compromise on ride comfort and the road noise which the 20' wheels and lower profile tyres would create. As to the room in the back, I have carried 3 adult passengers on several occasions who have commented positively at the amount of leg room and comfort. The XF is an entirely different car from the E class Mercedes old and new. The current BMW 5 series is a a most unattractive car inside and out. The minute I saw the XF and particularly the interior, I was pretty certain it was the car for me which was confirmed after the first test drive of the 2.7!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts