XF Forum banner

Cat 5 Tracker

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  pekem 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Just trying to fill some time while I’m waiting, 77 days to go.
Has anyone had anything to do with the various Thatcham Cat5 tracker devices that are on the market? Does it save anything on your insurance? Perhaps I would be better off with the GAP insurance whereby if my car gets stolen, I could get the price of the car back. On the other hand, I could do without all the hassle of a nicked car. I don’t feel particularly vulnerable where I live, but you never know.

#2 ·
We know this is a difficult time for you; just remain strong :lol:
I don't know what impact a Tracker would have on your policy, which incidentally I would favour over Gap cover, but I did notice that when I arranged a renewal of my insurance recently, tracker installation was a question asked.
My suggestion therefore is that you go on to a comparator site and search for a quote for both, with and without tracker. You might just be surprised by the premium variation :)

#3 ·
Hi Graham,
I was reading your post just yet were you say you still have 77 days of waiting to do. Does that mean you got a specific delivery date from your dealer more then 77 days upfront ??? I'm asking because my dealer told me my car would be delivered early May and I still didn't get a specific date from him. Starting to pull my hair out here, out of frustration. Asked the guy several times now.

#4 ·
On a car like the XF (non R) a tracker wont really make that much difference to your insurance cost. On cars like the R most insurers will insist on one. I dont know about you but I for one dont want my car back if it has been trashed and then repaired so for me I would go with forgetting the tracker and getting the GAP

#5 ·
Hi Everbeur,
Sorry to have taken so long to get back, I’ve been away. I ordered mine from Grange at Exeter on Monday 6th April and was told that they order in quantities of seven, I suppose that is a transporter full to keep the delivery price down (and more profit for Grange?). I was told at the time it would be a June build. Because of technical difficulties I was given a hand written order form and this was followed up a couple of days later by a computer generated order form in the post which gave a date of “Approx Delivery Date 30 June”. A couple of weeks later I was wondering if I was the last of the seven or first of the seven on that transporter I enquired what the order date to Jaguar was, and also the build date. The question of order date was ignored but a new build date was given as 27 May and delivery to the showroom would be typically 2 weeks after that, so it now looks like I could collect on the week-end of 13th June.
Thanks to Craig for what is no doubt sound advice, I think that I’ll give the cat5 a miss and go for the GAP insurance.
47 days and counting ?
By the way, I’m going to phone Grange tomorrow to find out if it is still possible to change from UB to Spectrum.
Whoooah don’t all shout at once!

#8 ·
Just on the delivery dates - mine was ordered 23 March with a build date of 29 April (this week!!) followed by delivery at the dealer of apparently 14 May.

Your new dates look consistent with that

Best of luck. I don't think the new colours are in yet but might be wrong

#9 ·
Hi Graham, XF Long wait,
I ordered my vapourgrey on the 17th of Feb and yesterday I received the message from the dealer that it is not built yet :shock: , but expected to be built "maybe" next week. I can not understand why the dealer is not capable to provide more accurate info. By the way, I ordered from Stratstone Mayfair, London.

#11 ·
I did some digging about Cat 5 Trackers the other day as I was specifying my new XF. I don't claim in any way to be an expert but here's what I learned:

-- Some insurers (maybe 30%) I tried out had questions about Trackers. On those that did, all reduced the premiums if you indicated that a Tracker is fitted.
-- There are a few Cat 5 trackers available and Thatcham's website seems have the most comprehensive list.
-- The JaguarWatch Cat5 system (aka, JaguarWatch Advanced) is woefully described on Jaguar's website. I had to check with Eurowatch on (1) Remote immobilisation and (2) Real-time GPS feed features. It has both, btw.
-- The JaguarWatch system is by far the most expensive but is the only one that is covered under the standard Jaguar warranty and, from my investigations, actually does appear to be 'state of the art'.

From a personal perspective, I like the idea that if somebody steals my car the Police will know exactly were it is, and where it is going, in real time and when the thief eventually stops, he/she won't be able to start it again - I'm assuming, of course, that he/she wont have the opportunity either because he/she will be in custody! Maybe this is being a little naive on my part :|

There are, of course, some very clever people in this world and there is bound to be a way round tracker security but, I suppose, no security system is ever 100% secure.

David.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.