XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am convinced that my 19" Carelia wheels have no lacquer coating on them. I think they are just painted. As most of you will know, I take extreme measures in keeping my car clean and have always noticed a decent lacquer coating on the wheels of previous cars, but my 19" Carelias don't appear to have a lacquer coat.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Administrator
433 Posts
I've got the 19" Carelias as well Roma.

Mine look like every other alloy I've had tbh. What should I be looking for to see if they have a lacquer finish?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lacquer coating is visible on clean alloys and feels like plastic to the touch. It also gives the alloys a silky-smooth finish. Unlacquered alloys, that is just painted alloys, feel ever so slightly grainy to the touch.

I would be quite surprised if the Carelias were just painted. One of the problems with unlacquered alloys is that brake dust penetrates the nooks and crannies and is visible as a tiny specks on the wheel - a bit like a light sprinking of ground black pepper. The brake dust penetrates the paint itself and cannot be removed without removing the paint. A lacquer coating prevents this from happening.

I became a bit suspicious about the wheels after they became quite difficult to clean, compared to the wheels on my previous car which were lacquered.

·
Administrator
433 Posts
I would say that there is a definite plastic feel to the wheels and not grainy at all. Which would indicate a lacquer.

Anyone else confirm?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I doubt if all the wheels could have missed a part of the finishing process. Having said that the metal emergency keyhole mechanism under the rear part of front passenger door handle was very loose when I took deliver of my XF, so it had not been tightened up on the production line.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Mine are definately laquered. Roma contact Rimstock and ask them, they make the wheels for Jaguar and their contact details are clearly available on their consumer website

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The salesman who sold me my XF suggests that they are not lacquered but simply spray-painted. He has an XK in the showroom that has 19" Carelias so I will go down to look at those and compare them to mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts