XF Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
As you can see they were professionally done. The idea of me throwing a tin of hammerite at the car would not end up in a good look.

A lot of work was done prior to painting, on grinding and sanding the awful metal castings into some some of flat surface. Orange peel just doesn't describe how bad they were. The result is pretty good and will be protected by a sealant. Probably Gtechniq C1.

Lastly, apologies for the colour. By some mistake in communication they were painted Brembo Red (think post box scarlet) which is a boy racer colour usually found on a hot hatch. I had the colour taken off and a deep solid red put on. It looks fantastic. Unfortunately you can't see it because my camera's flash has washed out the colour and turned it pinkish. Trust me they look much better in the flesh.

Al Fresco

p.s. to give you an idea of how far off the colours look (unfortunately), the retaining clips are painted the same silver as my car. On my monitor they look white.

My last post above was in May of this year and it's now December. I just wanted to give an update for anyone who comes across this thread in the future.

With hindsight, painting the calipers was a mistake.

If the XF brakes had been like the ones in the pictures above, then it would be a good idea and I would still recommend people do it. Our brakes, however, have a retaining clip with two long arms. These arms need to be levered into position across the face of the caliper when removing the caliper to change either discs or pads. I have been unable to do this without damaging the painted finish.

I've tried masking the face of the caliper when putting the clip on, I've tried covering the caliper with material and I've tried fitting the clip with two other people helping. Nothing seems to avoid damage to the paint.

Obviously this is a non issue with the type of caliper in the pictures above but with our brakes it is very much an issue.

Unless someone comes along and tells me I'm mistaken and the way to do it is xxxxx then I'd advise caution.

Our brakes, however, have a retaining clip with two long arms. These arms need to be levered into position across the face of the caliper when removing the caliper to change either discs or pads. I have been unable to do this without damaging the painted finish.
This is why when I think about painting the callipers it would only be to make them black, so the brake dust doesn't show so much, same reason I am getting my alloys darkened

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Vehicle

Decided to give it a try and did a red/black contrast , I used a flash and the red looks lighter than it actually is !!

Im impressed with how they change the look :cool: Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel

Hello Engineer , I did mine black originally using the same paint that is used on base of pillar boxes and the same for the red and we all know how hard wearing that paint is :) ( The paint is touch dry in 10 mins if you search for cromadex you will find it ! ) The heat resistant Jaguar decals are from fleabay as has been mentioned earlier .

caliper painting is a lot easier than you think as long as you have a decent brushes and can wield a spanner. :D

Hi Engineer, the red is 222W5005100 and black is 222T9000100, Usual paint rules apply ie cleaning up of calipers before painting , The paint is thick fast air drying and you only need one coat with a touch up if required ! I did give them a coat of heat resist clear lacquer as an extra protection but probably wasn't required. I have hit them with a power jetwash a few times now to remove brake dust etc and they come up red as always every time ! Hope this is of help . Jeff

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.