XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I’m so new that I haven’t even ordered my new XF yet. That’s the problem! I have delayed my order so that I could try the 3.0D, my first venture into oil burners. My local dealer invited me to a “Ride & Drive Event” on the 19th but I was restricted to 20 minutes of driving due to the queues. I also wanted to compare it to the S. That was nearly 2 weeks ago and I’m told that they are having trouble with the PDI, on the demo, not having the right software. Perhaps they don’t like the colour of my money, I don’t know, but I think that I’m respectable and just of retirement age. So my question is……. Does anyone have any advice about NOT buying from my local dealer? I can’t believe that I’m having to ask this.
While I’m at it, I wasn’t going to order the blind spot monitor, does anyone wish that they had, and what sort of discount do you think that I could get away with? I fancy the 3ltr Portfolio/S.
Thanks to all who reply.
Graham
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum Graham :)
You just go ahead and place your order with your local dealer. If you ring and say that you want a proper test drive he will arrange it because A. that is what they do and B. they need your business. :lol:
Of course, before doing that; do the same thing with other dealers. See what kind of deal they offer and then, and only then go back to your local dealer.
We read earlier that Payload got 7.6% off total price against list (inc VAT delivery tax etc).
Dealers are having a hard time, consumers are having a hard time so shop around.
You could do worse than to ask a dealer to better Payload's deal.
I have a Blind Spot Monitor which I have to say we take for granted now; I would not want to be without it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
I agree with Peckem about going ahead and ordering that car, but definately have a good drive in it first. Also, this might sound odd to say it but I sit in a car in the showroom for a good length of time just to get the feel of it, I think it helps mentally adjust to the change.

However, my dealer wasn't so keen on the blind spot camera and I think it really depends on where you live/drive as to how useful it might be. I live in the countryside and the dealer pointed out that narrow lanes with hedgerows can trigger it - it is more for use on busy motorways I guess. Personally I prefer the habit of looking over my shoulder.

I would say the rear camera/front sensors are more relevant in terms of optional extras, after that it is personal preference.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it, and I can only add that I have not regretted my purchase whatsoever.

Best wishes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pekem & twosheds,
Frankly I believe that if my local dealer can’t offer me a decent test drive, he doesn’t deserve my business. I have been in the showroom 3 times since the “Ride & Drive” wanting to arrange a drive but they say that a test car is not available. If that is true, then I feel pretty sorry for the salesman, and it is a pretty sorry advert for Jaguar. The last time I visited, (Thursday) I was shown several new cars sold and ready to go except for the PDI, the new owners just had to wait, just as I am having to. I haven’t heard from them since. I am never-the-less a bit reluctant to buy away from home because of all the benefits such as loan car etc that I may loose. How difficult can it be to buy a car?
Thanks for the opinions about the blind spot camera, as I live in the only county in England without a motorway; I think I’ll give it a miss
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,499 Posts
Graham said:
Thanks Pekem & twosheds,
Frankly I believe that if my local dealer can’t offer me a decent test drive, he doesn’t deserve my business. I have been in the showroom 3 times since the “Ride & Drive” wanting to arrange a drive but they say that a test car is not available. If that is true, then I feel pretty sorry for the salesman, and it is a pretty sorry advert for Jaguar. The last time I visited, (Thursday) I was shown several new cars sold and ready to go except for the PDI, the new owners just had to wait, just as I am having to. I haven’t heard from them since. I am never-the-less a bit reluctant to buy away from home because of all the benefits such as loan car etc that I may loose. How difficult can it be to buy a car?
Thanks for the opinions about the blind spot camera, as I live in the only county in England without a motorway; I think I’ll give it a miss
Do please fill in your Profile and give us a clue to the County at least :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Well I'm guessing that you must live in Cornwall to be a motorway free county. Grange at Exeter seem to get a decent mention, and I can add Westover Jaguar at Poole which is the dealer I use, despite living in Somerset. I have to say that I wasn't impressed with Taunton.

As for your dealer not having a car available for a test drive, well I would give them a miss on purpose now after three failed attempts and then let Jaguar HQ know sometime later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Welcome aboard Graham.

If the Jag will be your first oil burner, what a way to start! This is my second diesel after being a confirmed petrol head, but I wouldn't consider going back to the green pump now. The thought of not having all that lovely torque on tap for overtaking, urghh don't want to think about it ;)

Hope you get more satisfaction with another dealer, that does sound like shoddy service you've experienced so far.

Good luck with the decisions, if you go for the XF you wont be disappointed :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Graham, I ordered my car through 'Drivethedeal' and ended up using Grange of Exeter (discount of about 8%) don't pick it up for another 3 weeks but so far all communication has been fine. The will deliver free to me in Oxford but I would rather have a proper handover in the showroom. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Just to follow up on the discount thing, my experience was this -

First offer from dealer was 5% off list. After a bit of discussion, I got them to match a quote I had printed out from http://www.broadspeed.co.uk which worked out at 7.6% off list. The printout really did seem to make a difference - they studied it, they even copied it, apparently to use as justification for discount level.

Not sure how much of that discount (if any) was due to it being end of month and end of quarter when I went in there - I made it clear that I could sign up that very day for the 'right deal'.

Negotiation was all very light hearted and good natured, didn't feel like a battle really. I have a sneaking suspicion I could have 'wrung the towel' a bit more, but I walked away happy with what I had got - I had a target in mind and I got there.

Hope this helps, good luck if you decide to go for one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Drive the deal does look a good site for an 8% or so discount... I've heard good reports about success at 'www.autoebid.com' too where you can set your price...

I know we're almost on the continent as far as Dorset is concerned but neither Suffolk or Norfolk have any motorways either... In fact I'm not sure if Norfolk has even discovered the 'car' yet...:)

Does anyone think it might be worth waiting 6 months - partly to see what the Government do for new car buyers (ala Germany perhaps), but also to wait for the dealers to be completely desperate for sales?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,499 Posts
JagNewbie said:
Drive the deal does look a good site for an 8% or so discount... I've heard good reports about success at 'www.autoebid.com' too where you can set your price...

I know we're almost on the continent as far as Dorset is concerned but neither Suffolk or Norfolk have any motorways either... In fact I'm not sure if Norfolk has even discovered the 'car' yet...:)

Does anyone think it might be worth waiting 6 months - partly to see what the Government do for new car buyers (ala Germany perhaps), but also to wait for the dealers to be completely desperate for sales?
Just let your heart rule your head for once :) If you can afford an XF, want an XF, just go and buy an XF. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
JagNewbie said:
Does anyone think it might be worth waiting 6 months - partly to see what the Government do for new car buyers (ala Germany perhaps), but also to wait for the dealers to be completely desperate for sales?
I wouldn't be surprised if VAT rises to 19% or 20% before the end of the year after Laurel and Hardy are forced to go cap in hand to the IMF. :shock: :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Penny Black. :)) If the government does do anything for the motorist then it's going to benefit the small engines or hybrids. I intend to get my order in before the weekend. As the build time is now into June, I thought that I would try to place an order for one of the new colours. Thanks to Payload for the tip on the Broadspeed site, I like the look of that, and to JagNewby and JohnBB for the 'www.autoebid.com' site & 'Drivethedeal'site both of which I will try in a few moments.
Pekem, what is Norfolk? :))
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,499 Posts
Graham said:
I agree with Penny Black. :)) If the government does do anything for the motorist then it's going to benefit the small engines or hybrids. I intend to get my order in before the weekend. As the build time is now into June, I thought that I would try to place an order for one of the new colours. Thanks to Payload for the tip on the Broadspeed site, I like the look of that, and to JagNewby and JohnBB for the 'www.autoebid.com' site & 'Drivethedeal'site both of which I will try in a few moments.
Pekem, what is Norfolk? :))
Not guilty M'lud :lol:
You need to be properly briefed by reading through the evidence :lol:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,499 Posts
Graham said:
I intend to get my order in before the weekend. As the build time is now into June, I thought that I would try to place an order for one of the new colours.
So what happened Graham; did you put the order in and if yes; which colour did you go for :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All,
I’m very pleased to be able to say that I’ve joined the ranks of “waiters”.
I drove down to Grange of Exeter this morning and finalised the deal on a 3.0S Portfolio fully loaded in ultimate black with Selenas, ivory & oyster. I was quite happy with a 7.5% discount but it’s going to be a long 2 months.
Thanks to all who suggested various avenues to get the best deal, I tried them all, eventually showing the Broadspeed quote to Grange via E-mail, whom I had met before when looking at a used XF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Graham said:
Hi All,
I’m very pleased to be able to say that I’ve joined the ranks of “waiters”.
I drove down to Grange of Exeter this morning and finalised the deal on a 3.0S Portfolio fully loaded in ultimate black with Selenas, ivory & oyster. I was quite happy with a 7.5% discount but it’s going to be a long 2 months.
Thanks to all who suggested various avenues to get the best deal, I tried them all, eventually showing the Broadspeed quote to Grange via E-mail, whom I had met before when looking at a used XF.
Congratulations Graham, you wont be disappointed. The wait is a bit of a bugger but it certainly builds the anticipation ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Aha!!! Another Ultimate buyer!!
Think I made the right choice!!! :cool:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top