XF Forum banner

Buying my first XF

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  KevXF 
#1 ·
Hello good people, I have just sold my lovely 75 and am looking at buying an XF today. I hope I’ve made the right choice!

Anyway, I wonder if I could gain a bit of advice. The model I’m looking at is the 2.7 diesel luxury on an 08 plate with 46k. I don’t know about if it’s been fully serviced but it looks mint from the pics. I read about the timing belt on here that they need changing every 9 years or 70k?

So my question is if it’s been serviced correctly would this have been done? Also is the 2.7 ok? I keep reading that the 3ltr is a good engine - I presume the 2.7 is included and is a ‘3 litre’?

One more thing it has the oak type wood inside but I prefer the walnut - can anyone tell me why some have oak and others have walnut? Also can they be swapped at all?

Sorry for all the questions as I’m a newbie and look forward to getting involved in this forum once I’ve made the right choice!

Many thanks

Kev

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't answer all of your questions, but here's a start.

The 2.7 engine is not the same as the 3.0. On here, we tend to distinguish between the two, and almost all of the good reviews will concern the 3.0.
Why did JLR drop the 2.7 and replace it with the 3.0 ?

I suggest that you check on replacement, or not, of the timing belt. If it hasn't been changed, it's now 11 years old minimum, and probably should be changed before you buy.

The wood trim is down to the choices made by the original purchaser.
You would probably have to look for replacement wood bits at a scrap yard.

#3 ·
The 2,7 diesel is the PSA/Ford engine and served the Jaguar S Type very well indeed, in fact it killed the sales of the then popular 2.5 V6 petrol and the 3 Litre.

Below is the comment of a Jaguar technician:

!IMPORTANT!
Unlike all the other jag engines it has a cam belt. The change interval is 100,000 or 105,000 miles. If you are buying a high milage car, make sure this is done, budget arround £400 for the job if not.

#4 ·
Awesome thanks for the replies. The dealer rang the Jaguar garage and they said that on their records a major service was carried out last year at 42k and that it included the belt. So I haven’t got to change that for many years then!

I am now very relieved! So the 2.7 is a fairly good engine then? I’m not after performance, just reliability.

Thanks again

#6 ·
Thanks again for the reply. I’m really pleased with my purchase apart from the fact that I thought it was a top of the range model. I have no heated seats, USB, lumbar support and maybe a couple of other bits? Apparently mine has xenons and it does have a rear view camera (were these optional extras?). It’s listed as a Luxury - is the top model a Luxury Premier?

Sorry for all the questions!

Kev

#7 ·
Congratulations on your purchase. You are fortunate the belt has been done. One option for the interior is to wrap the panels, they just slide/prise out with some trim tools. Camera is probably an option on the luxury, model range at that time would be Luxury, Premium Luxury, Portfolio. SV8 (low to high spec).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.