XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi need help iam buying a xf in the next few months I hav 9 grand to spend looking at 2009 + need black interior all the ones on auto trader the interest me are 3.0 diesel witch don't bother me I ve been advised to go for the 3.0 petrol as I only cover 30 miles 5 days a week but allway go for a long drive at weekends if I get a diesel would that be OK not to knaker the dpf many thanks lee

·
Administrator
22,528 Posts
Hi need help iam buying a xf in the next few months I hav 9 grand to spend looking at 2009 + need black interior all the ones on auto trader the interest me are 3.0 diesel witch don't bother me I ve been advised to go for the 3.0 petrol as I only cover 30 miles 5 days a week but allway go for a long drive at weekends if I get a diesel would that be OK not to knaker the dpf many thanks lee
Petrol is best. Diesel and low mileage is a big no no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Petrol is best. Diesel and low mileage is a big no no.
Why is diesel and low mileage a big no no? I have been running a 2010 3.0d for the last 6 months rarely covering more than 40 miles per journey and have covered about 4000 miles total at 50+ mpg without any problems. Most journies are less than 10 miles. Love my big cat.

·
Administrator
22,528 Posts
Why is diesel and low mileage a big no no? I have been running a 2010 3.0d for the last 6 months rarely covering more than 40 miles per journey and have covered about 4000 miles total at 50+ mpg without any problems. Most journies are less than 10 miles. Love my big cat.
My expressed view is based on the advice of Jaguar Sales Staff.
For more on the topic "Search” this forum in relation to DPF issues, particularly those that plagued early XFs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, there's a lot of comments on the forums relating to how low mileage (or more correctly, consistent short journeys) can result in an incomplete cleaning cycle of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), which causes the engine oil over time to become contaminated. This then reduces the oil change intervals and brings on the service due light early.
It's certainly something buyers should be aware of and dealers could be more proactive warning potential buyers, but that's about all their is too it when you break it down. Anybody that enjoys tinkering with their cars and are capable of carrying out an engine oil change may find this less impactfull than those that rely on a garage. If I had to guess. I'd say your "long drive at weekends" would be enough for it not to be a big issue for you.
Good luck with your search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts