XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone suffered a kind of burning rubber smell from the back wheels?

My xf has done around 2800 and I have noticed this smell a few times (wondered whether breaks are sticking) also after a decent journey 45 mins or more the electronic break lever in the center console feels warm to the touch, is this normal or should I book the car in to be checked?

·
Administrator
22,508 Posts
I think the brake is warm to the touch when the car is underway.
I do have an odd smell at the rear of the car from time to time. I have thought that it is associated with the burn off of diesel particulates; which I understand is quite normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My XF is just over 2 years old, and I have noted a very strong rubbery burning smell from rear wheels, but not always.

This seemed to be when I have recently had the interior temperature up high (above 24C), but it may also be connected with a sticking hand brake.

Has anyone found out the real reason? There is no doubt that the smell is from the wheel arch of the rear wheels, and is not from engine or front of car.

·
Administrator
22,508 Posts
Welcome to the forum pami :)
Do please complete some details of your Profile, details are in the mail sent to you.
I am sure that most would immediately think that your are smelling, not the same odour though, the result of DPF regeneration, a perfectly normal process.
However, you seem convinced it is associated with the brakes or wheel components and therefore I think you should consult a dealer :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
As Pekem suggests, I would say this is during/after the diesel particulate filter has gone through the self cleaning process. Hot burning rubber smell. Had it on my 530D and now the XF. Interestingly, it's less noticeable on performance when driving the XF (may be the auto box), but there was a definite acceleration delay on the BMW and a more throaty exhaust note when the filter was cleaning...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts