XF Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody advise on which bulbs are monitored in the bulb failure warning system?

I've changed the side, puddle and number plate lights for LED's with no issues, I also want to change the indicator bulbs for LED's but don't want to go down the route of fitting inline resistors.........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Bulb failure warning

If you buy the ones which are CANBUS ready they already have the required resistors fitted :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Bulb failure warning

mzplcg said:
If you buy the ones which are CANBUS ready they already have the required resistors fitted :cool:
T5 bulbs, yes I agree, however, I haven't seen the indicator bulbs with built in resistors........

·
Registered
182 Posts
Puddle Lights

Hi
I have the mirror pack on my car and I wonder if any one can tell me how to get at the puddle light bulbs in the door mirrors, ?
I would like to change the bulbs to LED bulbs. :idea:

Will

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hi, I think you have to remove the mirror glass, you move the mirror glass so that the outside edge is clear of the housing, grasp the exposed edge and pull, the glass will come away.;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The puddle light just clips out, use a small screwdriver to prise it out, it is a bit tight so needs a fair amount of leverage, or alternatively, use a small blade type screwdriver and enter into the gap between the bottom of the mirror glass and the housing and push the plastic tab to release the lens.

The bulb is a T5 wedge bulb that can be replaced with an led bulb with no built in resistance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Puddle light - Replacement?

As it's got dark earlier I've notive the puddle lights under the door mirror. They seem very yellow, typcal of I presume normal 5w bulbs. Probably having Porcelain paint emphasises the yello look.

Can these easily be repalced with a LED equivelant and if so anyone know the bulb number used?

EDIT - thanks to mods for moving my post and thus answering the question :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks mzpicg, haven't seen them before, got to be worth a go at only £6.85 :)
I have used these in the past in a Volvo , the resistors are separate and NOT integral in the bulb.
They are on the back of the card and are quite large.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are the bulbs on a rectangle circuit board?

If yes, you can file the edges slightly, the board of the bulb is square but the bulb holder is round so try chamfering the edges.

·
Registered
807 Posts
In my experience I have found that LED replacement for front side light bulbs and numberplate give a very short life before they flicker and have to be changed.Maybe the quality and new technology of these E-Bay products is at fault so I have reverted to the original type of 5w bulbs again.Some accessory shops sell a 6w version of the original pattern bulbs which I have now fitted and are noticeably brighter without the flicker problem of the LED type.I would be interested to learn of other members success of LED bulbs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The 'puddle light' is built into the underside of the door mirror, and illuminates any puddles that you might accidentally stand in when you approach the car at night. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or more useful on the XF when you open the door to get out, given with proximity (comfort) opening you'd already be stood in it unless press the fob.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In my experience I have found that LED replacement for front side light bulbs and numberplate give a very short life before they flicker and have to be changed.Maybe the quality and new technology of these E-Bay products is at fault so I have reverted to the original type of 5w bulbs again.Some accessory shops sell a 6w version of the original pattern bulbs which I have now fitted and are noticeably brighter without the flicker problem of the LED type.I would be interested to learn of other members success of LED bulbs.
I replaced the sidelight, number plate and puddle lights with LED's when I got my car new in September 2010 and have had no problems at all, the car has now completed 19k miles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts