XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does the XF put its brakes through some sort of calibration or warm up routine at the start of a journey?

Reason I ask is the brakes appear to exhibit odd behaviors the first couple of times I go to use the brakes in the morning. As I shuffle out of my parking space I had been experiencing a light shudder on the brakes (a little like the feeling when anti lock brakes engage but clearly I'm at sub 5Mph), I then replaced my front brakes with EBC Redstuff (fitted at a trusted independent) and and now after coming back to the car, having not used if for a could of weeks, at the same cold start & low speeds I'm sure I have felt the brakes not stop me as crisply as I would expect.

To be clear I have not felt any degraded breaking when travelling at speeds or at any other times that when doing low speed parking maneuvers immediately after a cold start.

I guess there are 3 scenarios, this is normal, I'm imagining this, or there is an issue.. the problem is trying to describe the issue to a garage and then their ability to re-create it :)

Appreciate your help putting me at ease!!

Kind regards

Rich

S

·
0 Posts
I have to reverse down a steep drive to reach the lane which connects my house to the outside world...when in reverse and trying control the car on my steep drive I have noticed a groan from the brakes....I assumed it was the pads sicking as they wore off the overnight surface corrosion that forms on the discs....Never really given it a second thought as it only happens first thing in the morning...and it certainly does`t happen everyday.....No other issues with the brakes either.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have a suspicion that green/red stuff pads require a short warm up prior to reaching their full efficiency. I have green stuff pads on my MGRV8 and I also feel that they do not "grab" straight away when cold. Once one is aware of this phenomenum, there really should be no trouble. Even if cold, you will still be able to brake, however.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
"Performance" pads often do show this characteristic. There is no free lunch in brake design. Are the red stuff pads EBC's "street" pad or are they advertised to be a "performance" pad. If the latter then likely this is normal.

Having said that, my rear brakes nearly always clunk a few seconds after moving off as if the rear brakes only fully release then. However, this happens whether I have set and released the park brake or not. I put it down to a dsc phenomenon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will find that because your car is a 3.0 litre petrol,it will do that there is a update to the ABS module that may improve the condition if you are not on the latest software already,the sensation you are feeling is the ABS plusing to up the pressure,beleive its because the vacuum on those engines is low at start up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I faced the same problem too, I'll describe it as empty brake stepping full and ABS feel with vibration from brake padel. Did couple of so call software update but problem still stays.
Understand from the Service Consultant that this is normal as air remains overnight in the brake system and warming up will create vaccum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for posting everyone, knowing this is a 'feature' puts me at ease!

Thanks again!

Rich

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Most cars (including the XF) cycle the ABS when you first move after being parked for a long time. It happens around the same time the auto-door locks activate. It is a very brief muti-cycle of the ABS - fees like a faint, rapid vibration or rumble and lasts about a second. Totally normal.

As to brake performance in the cold, most brake systems, inducing street pads perform better at their optimal operating temperature (not cold, not overheated). Red Stuff, being a low dust compound may be a bit less grippy when could - I can't tell you as I have not driven it.

Sounds like all is normal with your car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most cars (including the XF) cycle the ABS when you first move after being parked for a long time. It happens around the same time the auto-door locks activate. It is a very brief muti-cycle of the ABS - fees like a faint, rapid vibration or rumble and lasts about a second. Totally normal.

As to brake performance in the cold, most brake systems, inducing street pads perform better at their optimal operating temperature (not cold, not overheated). Red Stuff, being a low dust compound may be a bit less grippy when could - I can't tell you as I have not driven it.

Sounds like all is normal with your car.
Totally agree with this. Sounds like quite a normal issue. Not a problem!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts