XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had my Portfolio for just over a week now, and having covered about 500 miles, about 20% of GaryXF's total mileage in over a year, it appears that the amount of brake pad dust is minimal. In fact I thought there was more in evidence on the front wheels rather than, as was always the case, the rear; can this be so :?:
It crossed my mind that the design of the Selena wheel is such that it appears more open than those on my 2.7 standard wheel.
It is possible to reach through to the back edge for much of the surface, easier to clean, on the Selena and I wonder if because of that the air flow lessens the incidence of settlement of any dust given off when braking :?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are doing well as accumulated brake dust is a significant cleaning issue on my 19" Carelia's. Having said that the ergonomics of the wheel make it quite easy (except for around the wheel nuts which is identical for the whole range).

·
Registered
303 Posts
pekem, I have the same 20" wheels. Compared to previous cars, I also find the amount of brake dust on the front wheels to be slightly less than I've been used to.
The XF is the first car I've come across where the rear wheels accumulate as much (sometimes more) brake dust as the front wheels. Most unusual when you consider the weight of the engine on the front axle.

Usually cars have a two tone effect, with front alloys almost black with dust, and the rears looking spotless.
Clearly Jaguar has the braking balance right otherwise the countryside would be littered with XF's having spun round due to the rear end locking up under braking :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts