XF Forum banner

Troubled by Brake Dust Yes or No?


  • Total voters
    39
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AndrewII suggests that we have a poll to discover if the design of the wheel is perhaps a contributory factor to the generation of brake dust.
I think before we do that it might be worthwhile discovering if there is an issue in the first place.
My own view is that this is a subject that may promote a feeling of dissatisfaction out of all proportion to what one could reasonably expect from a modern braking system.
Just Google brake dust and it becomes apparent that a major market has been developed to meet the needs of concerned motorists.
I thought it was a problem once but not anymore. That may be to do with the bedding in of the Disc / Pads over time or the fact that I applied polish to the wheels and wash them once a week :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

I never heard of dust brake, and am not shure how it looks like. So I can't tell if I have a 'dust brake problem' with my XF. Could somebody give a brief description of it, or has a picture of it?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

mindbrother said:
I never heard of dust brake, and am not shure how it looks like. So I can't tell if I have a 'dust brake problem' with my XF. Could somebody give a brief description of it, or has a picture of it?
I thought you were joking at first mindbrother :)
So if you have not seen it on your XF that is very good news indeed. :D
It will appear as a Black / Grey powdery dust that settles on the surface of the wheels and when wiped off with a cloth, or touched with a finger, it will be black in no time at all. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

Sorry, I'm not joking.

Well, I might think I've collected some brake dust as the wheels look a little bit grey-ish, not shiny silver like like they were when I collected the car a couple of weeks ago. I thought this is normal, as the car becomes dirty by weather and driving around, so do the wheels.

When I'm at home I will take a look and touch it, see what happens. When in doubt, I'll take a picture, see if you all recognize it....

To be continued.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

Here are the pictures, 4 taken today (I wiped one part of the wheels with my finger) and 1 taken a couple of weeks ago when I collected the car at the dealer (it's a previous dealer democar). Please, shine your light on this. Big thanx!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

Yes I get brake dust and it is a pain, but it is better than the alternative of no brakes :eek:

The "problem" is worse then a few years ago because there is no asbestos allowed in the brake pad anymore, so manufacturers have had to come up with alternatives. I dare say that over the coming years things will improve.

Also bear in mind that the XF is no light car to bringing to a halt.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

mindbrother said:
Here are the pictures, 4 taken today (I wiped one part of the wheels with my finger) and 1 taken a couple of weeks ago when I collected the car at the dealer (it's a previous dealer democar). Please, shine your light on this. Big thanx!

mindbrother
Thanks for posting the pictures, which for reasons of space I have reduced in size a little.
Looking at your wheels I am bound to think that you are not troubled by excessive shedding of brake dust.
Of course, how you drive the car will make a difference and I think you have said that you are not undertaking long journeys and are mainly in and around Brussels on a daily basis which I imagine will not be at high speed :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

Hi Pekem,
I live in the Netherlands, not Belgium. Brussels is in Belgium. I haven't had any long rides so far, that's correct. Maybe 1000 km so far. I'm not into heavy duty racing, in fact, I like to ride smooth and calm with my XF, very comfortable. But no doubt, when I feel more confident, there will be a time that I am going to test the Sport-modus... :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

mindbrother said:
Hi Pekem,
I live in the Netherlands, not Belgium. Brussels is in Belgium. I haven't had any long rides so far, that's correct. Maybe 1000 km so far. I'm not into heavy duty racing, in fact, I like to ride smooth and calm with my XF, very comfortable. But no doubt, when I feel more confident, there will be a time that I am going to test the Sport-modus... :)
Sorry, my mistake :oops:
You certainly get a smooth and calm ride with an XF :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

I have been watching mine and have arrived at the following conclusions:

Front wheels: Much less brake dust than any other car I've owned.

Rear wheels: Much more brake dust than any other car I've owned.

I don't understand why the rears are producing so much dust. I have noticed over the last couple of days though that I seem to have a very minor binding brakes issue. I'm currently exploring this further but this is what I've arrived at so far...

The brakes are fully free when the car is cold and hasn't moved, i.e. my drive slopes very slightly downwards and before I drive anywhere it will roll forwards. After a couple of miles though, if I coast to a stand I can feel when the car stops that it's settling back on the bushes somewhere. That is, that there is a slight resistance to the car rolling back on an slight upslope.

I'll keep plugging away at this until I can identify just what is going on. It would explain the amount of dust on the rear wheels. I haven't been brave enough yet to explore by touch whether I have binding, and therefore hot brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

I don't know how the power parking brake works but that's where my suspicions lay for the moment...?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
561 Posts
Re: Brake dust is it a problem for you ?

Qhunter said:
I don't know how the power parking brake works but that's where my suspicions lay for the moment...?
That's a good suggestion. The park brake acts on the main caliper on the rear brakes using a mechanical lever so the same pads are used. I wonder if the cable routing is causing drag by applying some tension in the cables.

I also notice it seems earlier 2.7Ds are more affected, I'm not sure of a report on a new 3.0D yet and they have a different cable set up as the new 10MY cars have a new rear subframe.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i've not had mine long enough to comment yet
I reckon t2dav you have had your XF for about three weeks now and unless it has remained in the garage throughout that time, I would think if you had a problem , you would be aware of it by now. Perhaps there has been a change to the Disc / Pad with the 3.00 when compared with the 2.7
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
I'm working on a theory now, that if you drive away with the parking brake applied and let it release itself then it drags. If you apply foot brake pressure and release the parking brake before moving off then it doesn't. I've maintained this discipline for 2days now - no dragging brakes and no dust.

I'm not saying I've found the definitive answer here, I'm simply posting what I'm finding as I go along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
pekem said:
i've not had mine long enough to comment yet
I reckon t2dav you have had your XF for about three weeks now and unless it has remained in the garage throughout that time, I would think if you had a problem , you would be aware of it by now. Perhaps there has been a change to the Disc / Pad with the 3.00 when compared with the 2.7

possibly but it only really gets driven at weekends. I did have a quick look this morning and I noticed that there was a small build up of brake dust. I usually keep my car very clean and last weekend I gave it the full Swissol treatment!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
t2dav said:
pekem said:
i've not had mine long enough to comment yet
I reckon t2dav you have had your XF for about three weeks now and unless it has remained in the garage throughout that time, I would think if you had a problem , you would be aware of it by now. Perhaps there has been a change to the Disc / Pad with the 3.00 when compared with the 2.7

possibly but it only really gets driven at weekends. I did have a quick look this morning and I noticed that there was a small build up of brake dust. I usually keep my car very clean and last weekend I gave it the full Swissol treatment!
It would be good to see a picture of that, the car, not the Swissol :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
i'll have to take pictures next time I apply the Swissol as has been out for the last couple of days and so its probably not looking as glossy as it did when I applied it. Swissol is amazing stuff and really brings out a very deep gloss, which gets better after it gets baked in the sun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
There's no question about it, mine has dragging rear brakes.

Over the past couple of days I've not used the parking brake and the car has been free rolling and dust free.

I went out this lunchtime and did the following.

When I got in the car, it had been left with the parking brake off. After starting the car it rolled freely on my (only just not level) drive. I then applied the parking brake. I applied the foot brake and with the car in neutral, released the parking break - the car stayed put. I moved it backwards slightly and when it came to a stand in neutral I felt it settle back on the bushes and it failed to roll forwards. I tried numerous sequences of applying and releasing the parking brake but couldn't re-establish the car's free rolling condition.

After two 3 mile journeys through town, during which I could tell it wasn't rolling freely when stopping at lights etc, I checked the temperature of the brake discs. The fronts were warmish, as I would expect, but the rears were considerably hotter.

I'll book it in mit Jagwaar and report what they find.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top