XF Forum banner

How does your XF perform?

• My XF behaves perfectly. It creates no more than expected rear dust and has satisfactory fuel econom

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My continuing saga with the rear brakes on my car continues. I'm exploring the causes and symptoms of my rear dragging brakes continuously but like all intermittent faults, it's proving a slow process.

One thing I have arrived at is that the dragging brakes issue only occurs when driving in an urban environment. i.e. when there is plenty of brake action taking place. On free running roads it's fine.

The next issue to resolve is what is triggering the dragging and overheating. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a logic to it but I will get there. One thing that seems to happen is that I have noticed is that the binding brakes can be released with a short counter rotation of the wheels...make the car go backwards for a few feet and the binding goes away.

Then I got thinking. There has been a lot of discussion in here regarding both excessive rear brake dust and poor fuel economy. If people have a slight (and it is slight) dragging brakes issue then excessive dust and poor fuel economy would be the natural symptoms of this. So, that hopefully explains the poll...

On the fuel economy front, my car indicates about 32mpg but 'at the pump' calculations show this to usually be low 30.x range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Qhunter said:
My continuing saga with the rear brakes on my car continues. I'm exploring the causes and symptoms of my rear dragging brakes continuously but like all intermittent faults, it's proving a slow process.

One thing I have arrived at is that the dragging brakes issue only occurs when driving in an urban environment. i.e. when there is plenty of brake action taking place. On free running roads it's fine.

The next issue to resolve is what is triggering the dragging and overheating. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a logic to it but I will get there. One thing that seems to happen is that I have noticed is that the binding brakes can be released with a short counter rotation of the wheels...make the car go backwards for a few feet and the binding goes away.

Then I got thinking. There has been a lot of discussion in here regarding both excessive rear brake dust and poor fuel economy. If people have a slight (and it is slight) dragging brakes issue then excessive dust and poor fuel economy would be the natural symptoms of this. So, that hopefully explains the poll...

On the fuel economy front, my car indicates about 32mpg but 'at the pump' calculations show this to usually be low 30.x range.
Fuel economy is the main worry on these cars for me, they are very poor indeed, I own a X6 35D twin turbo diesel 2.2 tons, 0-60 6.9secs and I get 30+ MPG round the houses, and up to 37 MPG on run :cool: Now the jaguars are "Way behind" on this and it is the main factor of me "stearing clear", I hope the new 3.0 engine will cure this but I have my doubts. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
johnbmwx6 said:
Qhunter said:

Fuel economy is the main worry on these cars for me, they are very poor indeed, I own a X6 35D twin turbo diesel 2.2 tons, 0-60 6.9secs and I get 30+ MPG round the houses, and up to 37 MPG on run :cool: Now the jaguars are "Way behind" on this and it is the main factor of me "stearing clear", I hope the new 3.0 engine will cure this but I have my doubts. ;)

Well don't worry as I am currently averaging 37mpg. I've only done 500 miles but that seems pretty good for a new engine. Plus my car is a whole lot better looking :cool:

Sorry, couldn't stop myself :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I'd covered all angles with this question but.... I think the brakes on the 3.0 XFs are different to the 2.7s... so the question should relate to 2.7Ds only :roll: sorry!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts