XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is well worth removing the wheels and applying primer and then a finishing coat to the brake calipers when your XF is new as the factory finish does not last too long and the calipers look scruffy very soon.I did this on my last Jag and after 3 years and 72,000 miles they cleaned up as good as new by applying a non acid wheel cleaner and hosing off.The choice of a final colour is personal but I found that silver was very durable on my last car or use as near as you can to the body colour of your car,so I have done mine in Azure with a spray can of paint mixed by Halfords and I am told they look great when the car is moving.
Royston Morgan

·
Registered
618 Posts
Only issue with that is that if your have a problem with your calipers then Jaguar wont entertain your warranty.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I heard a squeaking noise while driving through the tunnel at Heathrow yesterday, which sounded as if there was a small bit of grit trapped in a caliper. On inspection, both rear discs had more and deeper circular marks then the front pair, which look much smoother. The car has covered 1200 miles and the brakes are performing perfectly. Has anyone else seen this?

The dealer was very helpful and sorted out the brake squeal/twitter this morning (6th May). One of the pistons was sticking out enough to just touch part of the disc when warm. The technician cleaned and lubricated the caliper and problem is solved.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have done 1,500 miles & checked my discs today.
i like to think i don't do any heavy breaking & certainly there appears to be an obvious difference between front & rear discs.
the front being totally smooth & the rear certainly more marked.
i have never checked discs before & therefore not sure what to expect or if this is acceptable, but after the previous comments i am now wondering if the marking on the front & rear should be the same ??

·
Registered
374 Posts
The discs should not be scored. It's as simple as that. If they become scored it could down to rust, a bit of grit between the brake pad and disc or simply uneven, warped discs (which would also make a noise when you drive). The surface of the discs should be smooth and mirror-like.

But also bear in mind that the brakes need time to bed in, which could take around 1,000 miles. The scoring might be down to brand new brake pads which are still bedding in. So check them after you've done a fair few miles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have now covered just over 2,500 miles & the rear discs are almost as smooth as the front...certainly appear to be bedding in fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts