XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting with BP Ultimate diesel recently and have been wholly disappointed by it. I've gone back to Shell Diesel Plus (same price as Shell regular Diesel) and the car feels livelier and much smoother. The silkiness of the ride and the engine has returned.

Now, having paid 15p per litre more for BP Ultimate Diesel, I could have convinced myself that it was better. Indeed, I really wanted to be able to feel the difference. But I prefer the cheaper Shell Diesel. The car has been transformed and I can throw it around a bit as the in-gear acceleration seems to be much better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's interesting. I always buy the ordinary diesel and the car runs fine. I am though struggling to find the connection with the choice of diesel and the silkiness of the ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roma, I feel the same with my previous X-type. The Shell diesel makes the car run smoother and with more thrust than other brand. I thought it may be psychological. Some car journals should run a test to compare diesel from different companies.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I filled up exclusively with Shell Diesel Plus for the first few months and got that 'silky-smooth' ride. A few recent tankfuls of BP Ultimate Diesel have put a slightly rough edge on the ride quality. Perhaps it's due to increased vibration from the engine? Having gone back to Shell Diesel Plus, the silky-smooth ride quality has returned.

The car just seems to be 'tighter', more responsive and the ride feels like its cushioned by walls of honey! Mmm...

That's the only way that I can describe the silky-smooth ride: it's like travelling through a large tube of honey...

I'll get my coat. :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts