XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a few questions etc on here I’ve now committed and bought an XF from Cazoo. Feels so wrong buying a secondhand car without having actually seen it or driven it (or even an XF of any type). I’m coming from a 163ps XE R-Sport so it’s the same 8 speed gearbox and pretty much the same interior - just a bit bigger in the XF.

It’s a white (cheap one, not the metallic) Portfolio with the 2 litre 249ps engine. Black interior and it has the Meridian sound system in it, rear parking camera, front and rear parking sensors, think it has an automatic boot lid, 18” basic 5 spoke wheels etc. 20k on the clock and £18k (68 plate) so think I’ve got a pretty good deal.

I plan to change a few bits - I’m going to put some black or gunmetal (can’t decide which yet) Bola B7 wheels on it - keeping to 18” for a decent ride on our cut up roads. Also going to get the rear windows tinted like the privacy glass option would have been - mostly so when I finish mountain biking I can change in the back without flashing anyone!

I hate the wood in the portfolio but an r-sport would have been loads more money and overall a worse spec so I’m probably going to change that. It’s mostly the bit around the gear lever that offends me - I’m probably going to get it hydro dipped piano black. If that looks decent in time I’ll sort the bit around the front of the dash and possibly the doors. The latter is a faff though as you basically need to remove the door cards to i clip the wood from the back and that’s a bit of a mission.

I’ve attempted to pop on a couple of photos - each forum seems different so no idea if this will work properly!

Attachments

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it’s a bit quicker - I’ve actually been pretty happy with the XE acceleration tbh but a bit more and no diesel rattle will be appreciated. If it’s underwhelming I have scoped out a stage 1 remap which frees up just over 20bhp but more importantly an extra 100nm of torque. I suspect I won’t feel the need but it’s nice to know the option is there.

I don’t race around like I used to 15 years ago so mostly I tend to drive around quite sensibly but occasionally on a quiet country road it’s nice to cut loose a bit (within reason).

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope so! Collecting the car on Friday and then I’m going to sort out some new alloys wheels for it - pretty sure Bola B7’s still in 18” and 245/45 tyres like the standard ones. Thinking Goodyear Eagle F1 or Michelin PS4 tyres.

New roof bars arrives today so I can get my bike on the roof this weekend. Thule edge bars in black - online they looked like they might be gloss which I was unsure about - but actually they’ve turned up and are anodised black. Quite pleased with that.

Excited now!

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The F1’s are about £20 cheaper per wheel but a mate who is more into cars still these days (I stepped back from modified cars quite a few years ago but he didn’t) reckon the PS4 is a better tyre. Who knows. Looks like my car is coming with F1’s on it already so will see how those are for a week - if ok then I’ll go F1’s again.

Love my mountain bikes - got a Bird Aether 7 as my full suss bike and a Marino custom hardtail as my fun messing about bike 🥰

Will update on mpg. I’m not sure it will hit as good as even 30mpg overall right now as mostly doing short journeys with Covid around - the only longer ones are bike trips to Cwmcarn / Forest of Dean / Mendips which are about an hour away from Bristol each broadly.

My diesel XE was averaging about 47mpg prior to Covid lockdown with lots of motorway trips to visit customers. My work have decided not to replace company cars hence me buying an XF privately. My XE is down near 30mpg with just local trips so it’s not brilliant anyway.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
it all down to personal preference as well as suspension match - they are perfect for xf saloon, mine goes like on train tracks. love it.

good bikes that, i'm on cube's, gtc reaction as xc whip and enduro stereo 140 factory spec as f/s.

i commute 40m-1h, twice daily, so i guess wouldn't be that bad interesting will be to see mpg on your bike trips.

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reckon on a run the petrol won’t be too bad - although not as good as diesel. With the bike on the roof I don’t go above 75mph - but the drag from the bike is bound to have enough effect. I suspect when I first get the car I’ll have a bit of a lead foot so will try not to look at mpg!

Your stereo is probably in a similar sort of vein to my Aether - I’ve got a 150mm Lyrik on the front and 130mm rear travel. Although it’s quite long / slack so it’s more capable than the travel suggest. Marino is a pure play bike for manualling / ripping round berms / playing on pump tracks etc. Not xc at all though - the steel frame is quite heavy so even with some light / bling carbon parts on it the weight is still bang on 30lbs.

I’m leaning towards F1’s to save the money for something else. I’m not going to be testing them that hard in corners and the F1’s seem to have good wet grip / braking from most reviews I’ve seen.

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I picked up my car - really impressed with Cazoo - slickest car pickup ever.

thule edgeblack roof bars on - it’s about as good as a roof rack can look and they’re quieter than the Jaguar branded Thule bars I had on my XE.

Ordered some 19” Wolfrace Dortmund alloys in gloss black - decided the standard tyres are a bit “balloony” in 18” 45 profile. Probably still going for Eagle F1’s.

Car is booked in for rear tints so it looks like the standard privacy glass some Jags had as an option.

I’m getting the wood round the gear selector wrapped either piano black or a dark carbon to see how that looks - I don’t like it wood coloured. The rest of the wood is fine though - think I’ll just leave that as it is.

Now watching a black r sport front grill and lower vanes - and would also like the chrome side vents and window surrounds black+ the rear Jaguar badge in black. Should look decent.

In terms of speeds it’s better than I thought and picks up better low down than the XE. I don’t think I’ll bother with a remap. Fuel economy is worse than I expected - averaged a frightening 14.5 mpg on the drive home from Cazoo. Lots of stop start traffic though. On a run to Wales with lots of average speed camera 50mph zones I managed 31mpg. That’s more bearable....but it’s still a shock after 6 or 7 years of diesel cars.

Love the car already though - the Meridian sound system is epic after the standard one in the XE.

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the new wheels on the car yesterday - rear privacy / window tints due in a couple of weeks time. Debating painting the calipers red at the moment (not sure when I will actually get time to do this).

Keeping my eye on eBay / other sites for black pack parts - although the other option is having mine wrapped gloss black which could work but is more of a faff.

CF9F7A8F-F428-4340-A085-0DB92E99ACB7.jpeg

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it’s the 250ps 2 litre turbo petrol. Averaging about 22mpg at the moment 🙈

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Yes it’s the 250ps 2 litre turbo petrol. Averaging about 22mpg at the moment 🙈
picking up xe on saturday (sadly couldn't stretch for another xf) and was toying with the idea of one with this engine. mpg was one of the concerns and quite rightly i think...

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it would have been a touch better in the XE as it’s about 200kgs lighter or something like that.
My outgoing XE was the 160ps diesel - I tended to average about 47mpg in that - although that was pre-Covid with some long work trips on the motorway. With Covid just being short trips of a few miles at a time mostly that had dropped to about 30mpg. So I guess for the extra power / fun / size it’s not a huge drop.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I think it would have been a touch better in the XE as it’s about 200kgs lighter or something like that.
My outgoing XE was the 160ps diesel - I tended to average about 47mpg in that - although that was pre-Covid with some long work trips on the motorway. With Covid just being short trips of a few miles at a time mostly that had dropped to about 30mpg. So I guess for the extra power / fun / size it’s not a huge drop.
yes, i guess. getting 180 one. was concerned about dropping from 275 to 180 bhp, but it's not too bad, all due to lighter body/ingenium engine i guess

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I test drove the 180ps one before getting my 160ps one. It was a company car and to fit in r-sport spec with an automatic gearbox and optional folding rear seats I could only get the 160 ps in budget. It’s not a night and day difference but the 180 was a bit quicker.

Overall it didn’t feel a slow car - I really enjoyed driving it over the 4 and a bit years I had it. Still on the drive at the moment - goes back in a couple of days time. It handles better than the XF - easier to place on narrower country roads and getting the rear a bit sideways in the wet felt nice and controllable.

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It definitely feels a smaller more sporty car. That’s comparing the r sport Xe to a porfolio XF Sportbrake. Although my petrol XF hauls in a straight line a chunk better. I’m loving the practicality of the huge estate with mountain biking / a 4 year old / travel sick dog / trips to the tip etc!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts