XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car was delivered in april, the boot opened to it's full extent when released with the remote control.
several months ago this started to deteriorate to opening only a few inches.
i had a feeling this may of been due to the drop in temperature effecting the dampers.
the dealer lubricated them & all was ok for a while.
last week i had cause to complain again & the dampers were replaced, with no improvement.
would be interested to know how other boots open... is it the norm not to open fully ??, or can i only expect this in warmer weather ??.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Boot opening

Hi there,
I have experienced exactly the same as your self. My dealer assured me that the boot should open but not extend to its fully opened position, even though it had done so for the first few months!!

·
Registered
374 Posts

Been there too. I had a boot that opened slowly and fully when released. A few months ago it only opened a few inches and now it simply unlatches itself and opens an inch or so.

My dealer has had a look at it and said it's normal!

·
Registered
204 Posts

I had the same problem with my boot. It was adjusted once before but it went stiff again

The service manager told me it wasn't the dampers but the connecting bolts being tightened too much. I had the car sent it again and it came back perfect. The boot lid opens fully very quickly now. Not sure if the tropical climate here helps.

I will check with the manager and ask him what was done to it. He doesn't work tomorrow so it'll have to be Monday.

Ta!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi guys , thanks for your replies, certainly looks like a temperature related problem as mauler does not have a problem in singapore.
would not of thought it to be exactly 'rocket science' in this day & age to overcome such a problem..... but when one cannot even open the fuel cap.....

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

sodgob said:
Hi guys , thanks for your replies, certainly looks like a temperature related problem as mauler does not have a problem in singapore.
would not of thought it to be exactly 'rocket science' in this day & age to overcome such a problem..... but when one cannot even open the fuel cap.....
It is a result of Boyles Law

·
Registered
100 Posts

Living in Germany. Last 10 days has been cold. Boot opens fully - no problems even at minus temps. Filler cap is another story - buggered and replaced last month

·
Registered
204 Posts

sodgob said:
Erm...I said I wasn't sure if it was a temperature-related issue. Mine had to be fixed twice before it started opening fully when the boot lid release was pressed. That said, I need to monitor the situation to see if it remains this way.

I actually tested other XFs in the showroom. Of the six or seven cars there, only one car's boot lid was able to swing open fully on a press of the release. Initially, the service manager said it was only supposed to open a couple of inches. When he tested the show cars himself, he was convinced otherwise, so he mucked with the joints/hinges.

As I'd mentioned, I'll ask the service manager what was done to make the boot lid open fully. Will post that information soon as I get it.

Ta!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Just been playing with the boot. Even though the temperature in my garage is only 5 C I don't think the failure to open fully is down to strut pressure. Initially the boot opened slowly about thirty degrees before stopping. I then sprayed all the hinges and the gas strut rods with silicon lubricant and manually moved the boot lid up and down half a dozen times to circulate it. Using the key fob the boot now opens fully, smoothly and far faster than it did before. :D :D

·
Registered
242 Posts

I have noticed something similar on mine but worked it out to be down to the layer of moisture on the boot itself.
Logically the dampers must be closely counterbalanced to the weight of the boot otherwise would either (1) open too quickly or (2) not open at all if not closely matched. Initially mine opened fine but noticed that it was reluctant to do so when wet or covered in frost. Still fine when absolutely dry. I wonder what a film of water on the boot lid actually weighs ??

·
Registered
30 Posts

I have exactly the same situation with mine. When I bought it 7 months ago the boot opened wide. Now, regardless if it is wet or dry, warm or frosty, it just opens and no more.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

andrewll said:
Is it actually a problem to have to give it a little encouragement with one's little finger ? :roll:
Aren't you missing the point there Andrew? Yes we could just use our little finger, but if its supposed to open fully then why should we? This is a £35K+ car shouldn't all features work as their supposed to?
I can open my fuel flap using my credit card, in fact I'm so used to doing it that I find it easy, would you consider that a problem, or should I live with it?
I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, but just saying I can make do isn't good enough!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Parked up yesterday afternoon with the boot in full sunlight for a couple of hours, opened the boot on return with the remote & hey presto... it opened fully !.
later in the evening when things had cooled down.. back to normal & opened just a couple of inches.

·
Registered
242 Posts

[Aren't you missing the point there Andrew? Yes we could just use our little finger, but if its supposed to open fully then why should we? This is a £35K+ car shouldn't all features work as their supposed to?
I can open my fuel flap using my credit card, in fact I'm so used to doing it that I find it easy, would you consider that a problem, or should I live with it?
I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, but just saying I can make do isn't good enough![/quote]

What I was trying to point out was what I suggested in an earlier post of mine - that the boot opening appears to work on a counterbalance system so if the weight of the boot lid is increased by water/frost then the counterbalance will not work. To overcome this the pressure in the counterbalance (dampers) could be increased but would then run the risk of the boot shooting open when it was clean/dry. Based on other posts there may also be a temperature effect happening here.
Personally, I dont find that giving it a tiny bit of encouragement a problem even for a £35k+ motor car. I still think that for £35k this car is packed with goodies that you would end up having to spec as options on our German friends alternatives at probably a higher base price to start with (and just wait until they catch up with the current exchange rates !!)

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts

You may well be right Andrew. However, this is what the actual maker of the struts has, in part, to say about their operation:
"Gas struts are temperature sensitive. This is due to the expansion/ contraction of the gas inside according to Boyles Law. So they are stronger at elevated temperatures and weaker at lower temperatures. Typically they are designed to work between -30oC and +80oC with varying changes in performance according to the vehicles geometry."
I can say that the writer of the above then requested more information from me about the make and model of the car as if he intended to investigate more. So it may be that the performance of the struts on the XF, on the basis of the reports in this thread, are performing in a manner differently to the manufacturers expectations. No doubt if they are, they will be quietly changed over by Jaguar at the production stage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Boot/trunk remote opening from inside

When you press the remote boot opening button, should the boot open completely all the way up or should it just open slightly? On my car it opens just slightly... any tips?

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
This appears to be normal behaviour on some cars, like mine for instance. In my climate I prefer it. No sense getting snow or rain in the trunk just because you want to open it remotely. I find the effort required to lift the trunk lid modest enough for my physique, even my wife can manage it, or a small child......

·
Registered
286 Posts
So I walk back to my car in the rain, keyfob in hand, arms full of groceries, and press the boot release - and the lid rises precisely 1 inch. What a pain - it's supposed to go all the way. Of course if it's a really hot summer day (or the car's in the dealer's heated workshop being checked for faults) the thing works perfectly.

·
Read Only
232 Posts
I've notice this too, open by the internal button & it opens fully, open from the key fob & only an inch, A question for the experts on the 12th at Sturgess I think

1 - 20 of 109 Posts