XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my bonnet resprayed after it was littered with chips. Now it looks spankingly nice, how can I protect it?

Not necessarily looking at a bonnet bra like the Honda Civics round here all sport, but some sort of clear wrap?

Sensible suggestions welcomed. Thanks

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts
If you ask Bernard he would say "slow down" :D I wouldn't dare say that. However, I think that the "bra" may be the only way to go to ensure an unchipped area. I would just pop in to my friendly local body finisher, he has dealt with three bumps or scratches over the last six years, and ask if a remedy can be recommended. May be told that it is an inherent problem with Jaguar's paint :(

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If you ask Bernard he would say "slow down" :D I wouldn't dare say that. However, I think that the "bra" may be the only way to go to ensure an unchipped area. I would just pop in to my friendly local body finisher, he has dealt with three bumps or scratches over the last six years, and ask if a remedy can be recommended. May be told that it is an inherent problem with Jaguar's paint :(
Slow down by all means as a method of keeping a distance from the car in front. Never fails.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have just had my bonnet resprayed after it was littered with chips. Now it looks spankingly nice, how can I protect it?

Not necessarily looking at a bonnet bra like the Honda Civics round here all sport, but some sort of clear wrap?

Sensible suggestions welcomed. Thanks
I will be doing the same soon. Local VBRA guy gave the best quote; local Jag dealer advised me to use a paint stick or face a £2k bill from their bodyshop! I'm sure I've seen others on here who have applied a (post repaint) clear film to the frontal areas with some success Others have said the (non-Jag) re-spray was much more hard-wearing. As for slowing down....that's not why I got the S so I regard chips as an occupational hazard. Having said that, all my previous cars didn't chip like the Jag......

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having said that, all my previous cars didn't chip like the Jag......
I do think that the Shaguar paint is very thin - my wife's Audi A4 is an 07 plate and there is not one chip on bonnet or bumper. My previous Audi's have been exceptional in this case also and I remember a Top Gear program when they had the McLaren 12C Spider, Ferrari 458 Spider and Audi R8 V10 Spyder - both Ferrari and Mclaren were chipped and damaged in one way, but the Audi spotless, which Clarkson commented on!

Anyway, I digress! I'll do some more searching. Thanks

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
As for slowing down....that's not why I got the S so I regard chips as an occupational hazard. Having said that, all my previous cars didn't chip like the Jag......
You can go as fast as you like on A roads and Motorways, it's the country lanes and roads in poor condition that throw up grit and stones.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can go as fast as you like on A roads and Motorways, it's the country lanes and roads in poor condition that throw up grit and stones.
But far too many A roads are badly potholed and these can throw up small stones etc. Keeping a distance is surely the best bet, isn't it? As well as probably being safer as well:)

Richard

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
But far too many A roads are badly potholed and these can throw up small stones etc. Keeping a distance is surely the best bet, isn't it? As well as probably being safer as well:)

Richard
Richard you are absolutely right, my answer was to keep Rogr happy. Thank you for the first sensible reply to my comments.

On a general note, when someone offers any advice it's usual to either accept it or reject it and possibly reply with a reasoned argument against as Richard just has. Remarks such as some of those directed at me on this subject and others are neither called for, necessary or even humorous.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I do think that the Shaguar paint is very thin - my wife's Audi A4 is an 07 plate and there is not one chip on bonnet or bumper. My previous Audi's have been exceptional in this case also and I remember a Top Gear program when they had the McLaren 12C Spider, Ferrari 458 Spider and Audi R8 V10 Spyder - both Ferrari and Mclaren were chipped and damaged in one way, but the Audi spotless, which Clarkson commented on!

Anyway, I digress! I'll do some more searching. Thanks
Interesting micalee and not digressing either (I think).
When I had an accident the depth of the paint was measured by the insurance guy and according to him the depth was standard, just like any other manufacturers paint including Audi. Which raises the question if it is the shape or height or whatever else of the bonnet that makes it more prone to chips than other cars (with obviously other shapes).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Richard you are absolutely right, my answer was to keep Rogr happy. Thank you for the first sensible reply to my comments.

On a general note, when someone offers any advice it's usual to either accept it or reject it and possibly reply with a reasoned argument against as Richard just has. Remarks such as some of those directed at me on this subject and others are neither called for, necessary or even humorous.
I apologise Bernard if my words offended; no intention was meant and thank you for wanting to keep me happy. Micalee, you might remember this thread (http://www.xfforum.co.uk/threads/26497-Stone-chips-after-re-paint?highlight=black+paint) about a clear film suggestion; and this link (http://www.xfforum.co.uk/threads/12873-Front-bumper-stone-chipping?highlight=black+paint) about the respray issues. Any detailer will be able to tell you the paint thickness but I don't think that's the issue; it's the durability of the paint. The A roads 'up here' are actually quite good as long as the person in front doesn't stray towards the kerb which is invariably littered with stones and tarmac chips.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I apologise Bernard if my words offended; no intention was meant and thank you for wanting to keep me happy. Micalee, you might remember this thread (http://www.xfforum.co.uk/threads/26497-Stone-chips-after-re-paint?highlight=black+paint) about a clear film suggestion; and this link (http://www.xfforum.co.uk/threads/12873-Front-bumper-stone-chipping?highlight=black+paint) about the respray issues. Any detailer will be able to tell you the paint thickness but I don't think that's the issue; it's the durability of the paint. The A roads 'up here' are actually quite good as long as the person in front doesn't stray towards the kerb which is invariably littered with stones and tarmac chips.
Thank you Rogr, your reply is appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts