XF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before Christmas had a battery problem, recommended to replace it - cost £220
Monday alternator failure - cost £460
Does make me wonder whether the battery really needed replacing at all although to be fair it was the original battery, it was 7 years old and they did demonstrate how it was no longer keeping it's charge.

Not what is needed at this time of the year. Luckily I can afford it, but having to justify the costs to SWMBO is the big problem.
Bought her some flowers, that didn't work.
Took the family out for a meal, that didn't work
Both times I was told that I am just spending more money.

What are your tricks for keeping the other half happy when you have to spend big on your pride and joy?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Sticky wicket!

I prefer the "I can't get to work without it"

that's the one! plus 'otherwise will have to take your car', although easier to say it for me as she has train connection to work as well - i don't have any other alternative to car ;)

to be honest, if something is required to keep the car on the road - TOWMBO won't even comment (well, depending on cost :D ). any other spends like to keep car beautiful - paint correction then wrapping, refreshing alloys - oh man, i can forget about it unless she decides it actually needs doing because car looks crap :roll: in my opinion car needs it doing, but all i'm getting is looks saying 'try me' :-? all she needs from the car is to be drivable, cool in summer and warm in winter, that's all...

·
Registered
765 Posts
WOW £220 for a battery. Where from? I recently bought 2 large 12 V Heavy Duty batteries for my AEC Bus with a high cranking power and 4 year warranty. £86 each. You could have treated the boss after all !!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just say it will be more expensive to leave it parked on the drive, not going anywhere. Have to say it sounds a lot for what you had done, a lot of labour on that.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Buy her a new car and spend ten times the money just on depreciation. Keep your cheap to run jaguar.

Batteries last about five years. Seven years is excellent but you probably delayed replacing it for too long and ruined your alternator. Modern alternators last virtually forever unless they are connected through a dying battery.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The charging warning light is still appearing occasionally. It comes on for about 5-10 seconds although this morning it stayed on for a little longer. Garage are looking at it tomorrow.

Any idea's what else it could be?
(serpentine) belt slipping? Was the belt changed when the alternator was done?

7 years old, possibly never replaced, cold weather, damp, lots of load from lights, wipers, heated seats etc, could be slipping.

It's possible someone's had best part of a grand out of you for a £20 belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just before Christmas had a battery problem, recommended to replace it - cost £220
Monday alternator failure - cost £460
Does make me wonder whether the battery really needed replacing at all although to be fair it was the original battery, it was 7 years old and they did demonstrate how it was no longer keeping it's charge.

Not what is needed at this time of the year. Luckily I can afford it, but having to justify the costs to SWMBO is the big problem.
Bought her some flowers, that didn't work.
Took the family out for a meal, that didn't work
Both times I was told that I am just spending more money.

What are your tricks for keeping the other half happy when you have to spend big on your pride and joy?
Can I ask was £460 for alternator replaced at main dealer including labour and VAT?

I just had mine replaced by Main Dealer at a total cost of £715

·
Registered
6 Posts
No it was just a run of the mill garage. I normally use an independent Jaguar dealer in Crondall but they were fully booked. As the car had effectively broken down I used a garage just around the corner. TBH, I was pleasantly surprised with £460, I had expected a similar £700+ bill.
Thanks for the info ... Was thinking I had been Royally screwed, makes me feel marginally better that they hadn't singled me out as an easy mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts