XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just ordered a new XF but cannot find a source for a roof mounted cycle carrier. Anyone found a solution?

Thanks,

Philipyyb

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Bike Rack / Roof Bar availability

Welcome to the forum philipyyb :)
I have a sneaky feeling that you are going to be disappointed all round. I think that we learnt recently that the XF was not designed with cyclists and campers in mind; just petrol, or should that be diesel, heads. :cry:

·
Registered
86 Posts

As far as I know there is no possibility of fitting a roof rack and hence a top cycle carrier on the XF and a Google search for Jaguar XF roof rack draws a blank.

I have a tow bar on mine and so I use an 'On the Ball' bike rack clamped to it. We set this up four cars ago! as we go cycling on the Continent a lot, using the Harwich - Hook ferry, and if you have a roof mounted cycle carrier you need an 'overheight space' on the ferry. This is charged quite a lot extra and you can be last to be unloaded, with the lorries etc.

A tow bar and a clamp on cycle carrier could be the answer for you IMHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the feed-back. Just to add that I phone Thule too...they do have a rack for the XF either and have no immediate plans to make one. Come on Jaguar...this is quite a gap in your offer!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts

philipyyb said:
Thanks for the feed-back. Just to add that I phone Thule too...they do have a rack for the XF either and have no immediate plans to make one. Come on Jaguar...this is quite a gap in your offer!
I don't agree that provision for a roof rack should be provided. What would the addition of the required fixing points, and maybe extra structural support do, firstly to the superb design line of the roof sweeping down to the coupe style rear and secondly, the additional weight. :?:

·
Registered
247 Posts

I have heard a rumour that Thule may have had a rethink about a roof rack fitting for the XF. Possibly in time for this summer if you really want one. I don't want one personally but apparently lots of folk have been asking.

·
Registered
92 Posts

I agree they missed a trick, surely if they are targeting a younger audience, 30+ buyers then a fair few of them with either be into cycling or at least have kids with bikes. I hope they get one sorted as I need one for 2 adult and 2 kids bikes.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts

rclifford said:
I agree they missed a trick, surely if they are targeting a younger audience, 30+ buyers then a fair few of them with either be into cycling or at least have kids with bikes. I hope they get one sorted as I need one for 2 adult and 2 kids bikes.
You may have to wait a little while longer :cry: It is the case that a rack is in testing presently and that process normally takes between 4 / 6 months. So it might well be ready in the late summer / autumn :)

·
Registered
92 Posts

I have been informed by my local dealer's parts department that Thule should have roof bars available in 4 or so weeks!! Apparently these will cost approx £150+vat. So we'll have to wait and see if these arrive as I had an email from Thule last week saying they were in development but were likely to be months away from going on sale. Its interesting as the XF handbook states that "Your vehicle is not designed for use with
a roof rack. Do not fit a roof rack to the vehicle, as damage may result"

:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thule roof bars are available - so you can fit a bike rack: :p

For your JAGUAR, 2009, XF, 4-dr, Sedan you need
Thule Rapid System
Foot pack 750
Square/Aero Bar 762 or 862
Kit 1527
Lock 544

You go to the Thule website and click on alink for "your car not listed". This set of bits is around £170 - then you need to get the bike rack.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts

For those that like Tim's idea of avoiding high charges and long delays on ferries by using a Tow Bar and Cycle Rack I am posting just one of the excellent pictures taken by Tim to show the arrangement that he has opted for and as I understand it, is presently using whilst cycling this weekend :)
No doubt when he returns he will post more pictures and relate his experiences.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well done Thule! I've just ordered my kit from a very helpful guy at http://www.roofracks.co.uk but be warned the specific parts for the XF (rapid fit system #1527) is being manufactured by Thule, is showing on their website but will not be available for sale in the UK for "a few weeks". Patience!!

·
Registered
92 Posts

did they happen to mention when the roof bars will be available?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Bike rack availability

Might be wrong but I think the roof bars are available now...they are pretty much standard. It's only the attachment fittings which seem to be car / model specific.

·
Registered
92 Posts

just ordered by roof box and aero bars from roofbox.com. They are on back order. I spoke with Thule and they have passed testing and should be available for delivery in approx 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: Bike rack availability

Hi has anyone fitted this Thule system yet on their XF if so how does it sit with the car? Also for those with a tow bar cycle carry system how does this interact with the rear parking pack system I assume that with the cycle carrier fitted your must disable the sensors /camera can this be done? Thanks Richard

·
Registered
121 Posts

Can any one please update me on this or is the system still not available (specific Thule roof system for XF)? I've looked further into a tow bar install but the best system a fully retractable one by Thule (watch this video http://www.brink.eu/?rid=53 ) which is absolutely invisible it's not available for the XF! Has any one fitted the BRINKMATIC ADVANCE system detactable which apparently almost invisble. Actually I think this is probably the one that Tim kindly showed me on another post with photos this invovled cutting a small slot into the bumper undersill so I'm not so keen? I only want to carry cycles a few times a year on my XF and do not want to spoil what was the main reason I bought the car for its aesthetic drop dead good looks Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thule system and specific fitting kit 1527 IS NOW AVAILABLE!! :D My supplier http://www.snowchains.co.uk Contact Andrew Cassey 0n 01732 884408 confirms these parts are now in the UK, they will have them on Monday July 20th ready for immediate shipment to customers.

YIPPEE!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts