XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not consider myself to be a difficult customer; I’m more likely to back away from confrontation rather than to complain.
About 5 months ago I voiced my concerns on this forum about my local dealer who didn’t seem to give me the credit of being a genuine customer. One that could afford to buy a new Jag that is, so I went to Grange of Exeter who was pleased to take my money and treat me as though I was valued. All went perfectly and after 1 month I had a couple of small niggles that needed a bit of attention. Well four actually, so I booked in to have these sorted with my local dealer. I was pleased to be offered the Thursday morning because I was booked into hospital for a minor opp that lunch time and so I wouldn’t need a loan car as I wouldn’t be able to drive after anaesthetic for a few days. I asked the receptionist where the nearest bus stop was and he kindly offered me a lift to the bus station. The driver however kindly offered to take me the 2 miles home. So far so good. That evening I took a phone call to say that they were awaiting a part and that it would be in Friday. Friday I took another call saying that it would hopefully be Saturday. This didn’t bother me because my surgeon advised me not to drive until Saturday. But Saturday came and went without any communication. Monday I phoned reception and was told that the car would probably be ready Tuesday. This also didn’t bother me as I was suffering complications to my operation and didn’t feel like driving anyway. I did collect the car on Tuesday only to be told that three of the 4 jobs were not done or no fault found. 1, they had replaced the small drinks holder lid because of bad alignment, they told me that it was no better but was the best that they could do. I however was perfectly happy with the repair. 2 The LH wiper does not clear the screen in light rain. I was told that they could not do anything about it, so it is still the same. 3 I complained that I have not found any evidence that the Xenon lamps steer as they are supposed to. Nothing seems to have been done about this and I still can’t find any evidence that they have ever worked. I didn’t use the car for a few days, but when I did, I noticed that damage had occurred to the ivory panel to the right and below the steering wheel. The corner had been hit or dropped and had left the black metal below exposed. This damage was not there when the car went in for repair and would not be possible to do without noticing. I went immediately back to the dealer and reported this to the receptionist who told me that the technician had noticed this before he started work and that he (the receptionist) should have phoned me. In other words he was calling me a liar. I also reported that it looked as though the ivory colour was coming off the drivers seat base. Half of the perforated section looked as though the colour was wearing thin after just 1 month and 2K miles. I was told (as I have seen elsewhere on this forum) that the dye has come out of my jeans. Now I can honestly say that I haven’t owned a pair of jeans in the last twenty years, probably more. Also I asked why it is only half my bum that has sweated and caused this dye to run and not both sides, also why it is only on the base panel not any of the other pieces of leather. I left there pretty fed up I can tell you but Hey! No-one died, it’s not the end of the world, I decided that when I was next near Exeter I would let Grange have a look at the wipers and lights but it was not worth making a special trip for.
Enter the Online Jaguar Quality Control E-Mail
Three days ago Jaguar invited me to complete their quality control questionnaire. I answered all the questions fairly but most of my answers said POOR (poor service etc). I also made a comment at the end which in hind sight was over the top and not constructive, but filling in the questionnaire had brought back the anger of being mistreated. Anyway, It turns out that POOR is not an acceptable answer. I took a telephone call from the dealer principal tonight who told me that it was obvious that his dealership was never going to make me happy so the next one is either Southampton or Exeter. When our short conversation was coming to an end, I reminded him that he had not even bothered to ask for my side of the story, to which he replied “It doesn’t matter, we are never going to make you satisfied” and repeated that I would be better off in either Southampton or Exeter. I must say I agree, but didn’t expect to be expelled from my local dealer and I didn’t expect to find that the rot has set in from the top.

Pekem, please could you advise the E-mail address of some-one at Jaguar so that I can take this further?
Many thanks, sorry this is long and drawn out but I needed to get this off my chest.
Graham

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yee gods, all I can say is that you must be very laid back, It makes my blood boil just reading this.
I would have told the manager to stop talking, then to put his phone down and make a cup of tea, then wait behind his desk as I would be there shortly where he could speak to me face to face. See how gobby he is then!

You owe it to yourself and all of us fellow Jaguar owners to not let this lay till it's sorted!
Good luck!

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Graham
Sorry to read that you have had such bad service from your dealer.
By all means write to Jaguar Customer Services at [email protected] but I have to say that I think you will be told that they are unable to intervene in such matters.
Better, I think, that you address your concerns to the Chairman of the company responsible for your dealer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems, I too have had issues but I have never been treated like that by anyone let alone someone I have just spent the best part of £40k with. I would 'out' them in the local press :shock:

By the way don't press the Xenon issue with the Dealer as they don't 'steer'. The cornering function is done using additional lamps pointing to the side to increase the area lit. As you pull up to your house in the dark just steer to the left or the right slightly (or use the indicator) and you will see them working.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Pekem, I don't think he's complaining about Grange, they sold him the car as he'd been disregarded by his local dealer....

then he went back to his local dealer and got short shrift.....

He hasn't named the local dealer which is probably politic in this day and age, but as I am trying to find the best dealer in this part of the world I'd love to know who I should avoid.....

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
David said:
Pekem, I don't think he's complaining about Grange, they sold him the car as he'd been disregarded by his local dealer....

then he went back to his local dealer and got short shrift.....

He hasn't named the local dealer which is probably politic in this day and age, but as I am trying to find the best dealer in this part of the world I'd love to know who I should avoid.....
Yes, I think you are right David; so I have edited my remarks. Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
There is only one Jaguar Dealer in Poole. :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks for your comments, as Ben says, I guess that I am pretty laid back, and I just do not like confrontation. However I got it last night. I don’t understand what the guy thought he was doing, he didn’t give me an opportunity to be rude or cheeky, he just laid into me. He didn’t even give me the opportunity to put my case to him. This company has several franchises in the area and over recent years I have had dealings with 3 of them apart from Jaguar, all of them a happy experience. I also looked at the X type when I chose my last new car and although I didn’t buy a Jag, I had no complaints. Hey Ho! Just another day in life’s rich tapestry. I will take Peckhams advice and try talking to the Company Chairman.

To make it totally clear, I have only praise for Grange Exeter who were the supplying dealer, and I’m sure that there must be hundreds of customers who will stand in support of my local dealer; I’m just not one of them.
Graham

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thats a shocking way to be treated. As the Managing Director of a Franchise Dealer Group, I find it incredible that in this day and age there are people in a position of authority who do not hold basic values or understand the importance of providing anything less than exceptional customer service. My guess is this dealer is up against it, I think the group Chairman should be made aware of the situation, this chap needs to go before he costs them the dealership.

I use Harwoods in Chichester who are exceptional.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have just hand delivered a letter to the Chairman of this group of companies in the hope that I could catch him before he started his week-end. Unfortunately, too late, he'll be back on Tuesday. I will keep you posted.
Graham

·
Registered
294 Posts
I do find it extraordinary that they didn't explain that the Xenons don't actually 'steer' (as pointed out by another contributor. That would have dealt with 25% of the problems in about twenty seconds!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would like to add my support of Grange Exeter where I sourced my car. I was well looked after. As customers we should support the good dealers and shun the poor ones. Ecomonic reality will out!!! :evil:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Dear Graham,

I have been very interested to read your posting, though I'm obviously sorry that you have had such problems.

I have used the Poole dealership for 4-5 years and bought an XF there last year. Like you though, I will not be going back after they went back on their word over something promised to me. The written reply I had from the Dealer Principal to my letter was unbelievable.

I am therefore very interested in the comments on Grange of Exeter and will certainly consider them for the future, but I also would be interested to hear anything positive or negative on Taunton Jaguar. They seem to be a very small outfit which alarms me a little.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
twosheds said:
Dear Graham,

I have been very interested to read your posting, though I'm obviously sorry that you have had such problems.

I have used the Poole dealership for 4-5 years and bought an XF there last year. Like you though, I will not be going back after they went back on their word over something promised to me. The written reply I had from the Dealer Principal to my letter was unbelievable.

I am therefore very interested in the comments on Grange of Exeter and will certainly consider them for the future, but I also would be interested to hear anything positive or negative on Taunton Jaguar. They seem to be a very small outfit which alarms me a little.
I wrote recently, elsewhere, that I have had exemplary dealings with Service Department staff at Taunton Jaguar. Also, I understood that it is part of a multi franchise group, not as large as Stratstone of course, but then some would argue that is a good thing :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for that Pekem.

Taunton Jaguar are part of Helston Garages, who own Yeovil Motor Company (Volvo) amongst others.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Graham, sorry to hear about your recent problems with your local dealer.

It's not uncommon to find a dealership among a group of dealerships owned by one outfit that offers far poor service. I can think of a few likewise over here.

Clearly from your recent call the problem seems to start at the top of that dealership and work it's way down. Hopefully your letter to the chairman will see the kind of result you are looking for but even then I wouldn't recommend returning to this dealer as relations have clearly broken down and best to take your business else where.

You won't have been the first so in the long run Jaguar themselves will start to take note as dissatisfied customers is something they can ill afford with car sales the way they are at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been lurking around on this great forum for a while now, picking up tips here and there, and generally gauging peoples opinions of their XF's.

I haven't yet felt the urge to post an opinion of mine....until now. I have a 2.7d Luxury which has given me nearly a year of unblemished service and has been in the workshop only for it's annual service. It is the third Jaguar i've had, progressing from X-Type 2.0d Estate to the XF via an S-Type with the same 2.7d engine. Overall I could not fault the car or the dealer I have dealt with for over five years. The dealership in question is in Poole.

I work in sales myself (as my avatar suggests) and am aware that there are two sides to every story, I would be interested to know what it was you said Graham on the Customer Feedback E-Mail that riled they're Dealer Principal so much?

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum closet salesman :)
I am sorry that it has taken this particular thread to inspire your first contribution; I hope that we do not have to wait as long for your next. :)
There is no reason for you to know it, but is always risky for negative comment, yours certainly was not, to be posted about a person, company or organisation for fear of triggering a legal action of some kind.
Sadly, this topic is in danger of doing exactly that if details of private correspondence is published.
I have edited out negative references to any particular dealer and I would be glad if you would use the Private Mail system if more information is required :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Correspondence can only be regarded as private if it is marked private or confidential.

The Comments that Graham wrote in his feedback email to Jaguar are his to repeat here if he wishes, especially as he owns copyright on that material. The grey area that make internet forums vulnerable is the law regarding Libel or Slander where a person or organisation is defamed with untrue stories, slander is now more likely to apply given recent adjudication.

The forum is an agent of it's members and could be held jointly responsible if and only if what was written is proved in a court as libellous e.g. untrue. Facts are not libel, they are just that. Facts. One only has to look at the consumer advice programmes on TV to understand this as companies or individuals are readily named.

I therefore cannot see what is illegal or even wrong with naming people or organisations that have provided poor service IF it is true. The risk taken by this forum is of course whether an allegation IS true, this can only be proved if the correspondence is published to support it. A company would be on very dodgy ground if it tried to issue proceedings over verifiable facts - have you ever heard of watchdog being sued?

If this forum wishes to support it's members in getting the very best out of the Jaguar dealership network and organisation it should do so. It is a sad fact that publishing items about poor service or quality have far greater effect in this world than those about high quality or satisfaction.

This forum should appear neutral and unbiased; sometimes it is in danger of looking like a Jaguar apologist.

More info on Slander/Libel in this good article http://www.urban75.org/info/libel.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts