XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.00 D S owners, eat your heart out :lol:

Bedford to Cambridge via A428 this morning with normal traffic flow speed
Previously Qhunter posted his consumption, picture below, and we were all amazed.
I did zero the meter at the outset because I was interested to discover if there would be a significant difference to the result to the one I achieved last week on a similar journey.
And the result for today is shown in picture 2 :)

S

·
0 Posts
Blimey Im lucky if iget into the low forties :eek: what did you set the speed limiter at. :?:

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stevejay said:
Blimey Im lucky if iget into the low forties :eek: what did you set the speed limiter at. :?:
Wasn't set; it is the default on my car because I often use it in restricted zones :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
WHAT! :shock: :shock: :shock:
How is that possible?
Did you leave all electricals off?
I can't get better than 42.5 sticking to the speed limit (or thereabouts) and climate control, stereo etc turned on!

·
Registered
69 Posts
More details Pekem. Average speed? Over how many miles? How many miles has your XF done? Do you know how to use photoshop? Are you sure you do not work for Jaguar? Seriously though, good to see it is possible to achieve 42+ MPG Most of us struggle to get anywhere near that under normal driving conditions :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

There is no other data (miles travelled, average speed etc. etc.) to 'back up' those mpg figures....I'm sure I could get those sort of figures by resetting trip at top of hill and simply using momentum to roll on down.

I'll be happy just to achieve Jaguar figures as those, imo, are impressive enough (3.0D S figures of 30, 42 and 51 mpg for urban, combined and extra urban respectively).

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DieterXF said:
Hi,

There is no other data (miles travelled, average speed etc. etc.) to 'back up' those mpg figures....I'm sure I could get those sort of figures by resetting trip at top of hill and simply using momentum to roll on down.

I'll be happy just to achieve Jaguar figures as those, imo, are impressive enough (3.0D S figures of 30, 42 and 51 mpg for urban, combined and extra urban respectively).
I think you would need a very long hill because in my experience it takes about a mile for the meter to calculate a reading after Zeroing.
As it happens the journey in my 17000 mile 2.7 was, on the outward journey and before traveling in to Cambridge City Centre, approximately 25 miles at an average speed of around 55 MPH.
After parking in a City Centre Multi Storey I returned along the same route and the meter showed the average to have fallen to that shown in the picture below.
I make no claim other than the pictures record the facts :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Pekem's car is Botanical GREEN Us Ultimate Blacks haven't a chance. :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
penultimateblack said:
Pekem's car is Botanical GREEN Us Ultimate Blacks haven't a chance. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Your wisdom never fails to amaze me penultimateblack :lol:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Gosh, you've set the cat amongst the pigeons with that pic.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmmmph... desperately trying to resist the challenge... the last time I bit to this nonsense it took me nearly a month to prove I could get 1,000 miles out of a tank of diesel... must resist... must resist!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Peter,

I was not casting dispersions on your claim/record but I think an average mpg of 44 over a longish trip is excellent.

My downhill comment was only meant to reflect that 'instant' mpg figures obviously vary over short distances but settle to a steady'ish' mean (average mpg) with distance.

I managed to get 69.4 mpg ('eco run') out of a rented Passat 2.0, TDI but only because I ended up rolling down Scottish roads @ 25 mph... but I was soooooclose to 70. Overall average mpg @ end of two weeks was just below 50 (2000 miles'ish').

·
Registered
126 Posts
mmm not wanting to hijack a thread but that reminds me of something... in the car driver's manual it shows a picture with 'Instant MPG' which having seen in other vehicles (like XJ, S-type) shows a constant MPG rating according to how you drive at that very instant, yet I can't seem to find it on the indicator stalk button.

Is it there?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Managed to get 48mpg on the motorway today at constant 56mph, 15 miles. However, after turning off the motorway to finish my journey (1 extra mile) this dropped to 46.
In my experience you can only really get 40+ if you seriously take your time with light acceleration and no stop/starts
Car has done 800 miles

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
High speed consumption

Last month we were driving into a 15- 20 mph headwind for all the 230 autoroute miles from Calais to Metz. Average speed 74.6 mph - 33.2 MPG.

Next day the wind had dropped for the leg from Metz to Landshut in SE bavaria. 350 autoroute/autobahn miles. Average speed 81.6 mph - 35.3 mph at speeds of up to 135 mph, which is brilliant for a large heavily loaded saloon.
PS the speed limiter sitting in the LHS wouldn't let me reach 155mph! :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Keith Hall said:
mmm not wanting to hijack a thread but that reminds me of something... in the car driver's manual it shows a picture with 'Instant MPG' which having seen in other vehicles (like XJ, S-type) shows a constant MPG rating according to how you drive at that very instant, yet I can't seem to find it on the indicator stalk button.

Is it there?
Keith raises a good question. I was used to an instant figure on my S-Types. Is it now not available on the XF?

·
Registered
102 Posts
IndigoIvory said:
Keith Hall said:

Is it there?
Keith raises a good question. I was used to an instant figure on my S-Types. Is it now not available on the XF?
Like yourself I had an S-Type and quite enjoyed seeing the MPG go down to 6 or less when flooring it !! Unfortunately instant MPG is not avaialble on the XF, perhaps Jaguar will do a software update if we all request the feature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can see the instant mpg figures by using the screen. If you look at the trip info on the screen it is instant, otherwise you need towait for one mile before it appears on the dashboard.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are in danger of veering off the original topic :)
If someone would like to start a new topic in the Technical Discussion Forum, the merits or otherwise of the meter can be discussed at greater length.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just back from hols so have only just seen this thread. My 2.7 has now covered nearly 6k miles and I struggle to get anyewhere near 40mpg. Best I can do is 38 ish on a steady slow motorway run. General average is low 30's.

However Pekem, I did notice in your two photographs that fuel indicator seemed to have dropped rather a lot for a 48 mile round trip at those apparent consumption levels? Is this an on board computer issue?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts