XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you really have to visit a jaguar dealer to reset the battery monitoring device after fitting a new battery,what happens if you dont,anybody know the answer please?

·
Registered
93 Posts
do you really have to visit a jaguar dealer to reset the battery monitoring device after fitting a new battery,what happens if you dont,anybody know the answer please?
Welcome on board Hollywood.
I have a 2008 2.7d and changed my battery 4 months ago, it didn't need any resetting. I don't know about the facelift models but if they do need resetting I'm sure somebody will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hi, as above, I am now on my third battery and have never reset anything other than the one touch window settings. Phil

·
Registered
60 Posts

The Jaguar workshop manual states "If a new battery is fitted to the vehicle, the BMS module will require re-calibrating using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system."

A few months ago I had to install a new battery and did nothing other than re-calibrating the windows. Despite being fully charged, after not using the car for a week, the battery was barely able to start the engine. Apparently the BMS module is capable of self calibration during normal service - but change of battery can require resetting to be done.

I subsequently used a diagnostic system to re-calibrate the BMS module and the battery is now easily restarting the engine after several weeks of non use so my experience suggests that it is advisable to have this done.

This re-calibration requirement is becoming increasingly necessary with many cars and, here in New Zealand, the AA now routinely performs this service, free of charge, if you replace your battery through them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice,sounds like it may be worth a trip to the dealers to let them reset it after i fit the battery just to be on the safe side, after all batteries are not cheap. Its just sometimes you wonder are things really necessary,IE replacing rear brake pads without a trip to the dealers to reset the handbrake,done this twice without involving the dealer. thanks anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the advice,sounds like it may be worth a trip to the dealers to let them reset it after i fit the battery just to be on the safe side, after all batteries are not cheap. Its just sometimes you wonder are things really necessary,IE replacing rear brake pads without a trip to the dealers to reset the handbrake,done this twice without involving the dealer. thanks anyway.
Like other forum members, you might find your system re-calibrates automatically if you're using the car on a regular basis after installing the new battery. My usage is probably lower than usual which may account for my having to go the re-calibration route.

In any event, it appears that the re-calibration is a one off event with installation of a new battery. Subsequent disconnection and re-connection of a previously re-calibrated battery does not require the process to be repeated. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All
the batt itself is what is called a passive component in elect engineering so changing it an d bringing it tothe 13V charge level is not an issue. The BMS however is an active system and detects flactuations then sends fault signals that limit functionality to modules and sensors. So it is crucial to many fault sources. Very necessary to calibrate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts