XF Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I arrived back on Sunday I thought I'd go out for a drive (Get the Dodge Charger out of my system :lol: ), It was lovely and everything was fine after three weeks in a garage.
The next day I got in and listened to the radio for about 10 mins and three hours later I had to drive from my parents house in Liverpool to my house in Glasgow. So I got in... usual stuff ... Foot on brake, press button - everything shuts down. Try a couple of times and the battery is flat. Now basically I charged it and got home fine but what the two things I wasn't sure about are; How long can you operate the electronics without the engine running (I appriciate the amount of things the the battery has to power). And should this happen on a month old car? It had worked the day before but the day after it appeared to be flat.
Now as I charged the battery using an Industrial (my word for big and heavy ) battery charger. The car worked again and I thought that was the end of it.
I asked Pekem and he advised that charging an XF battery is a special procedure - and as I didn't do anything[/b] special I'm now worried that I have done damage. (Everything appears as normal with the car, though.)

P.S: I was initially going to jump start the car, but was advised strongly by the friend I asked the leads for, he said I could blow the whole electrical system on an XF.

Any help would be much appriciated!! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi
It is possible the isssue with the battery is that in the first month like everybody we all play with the gadgets and the battery may not have been able to be fully charged and the circumstances of leaving it a short run and using the radio just took enough out of it not to start.With regard to charging really need what as known as a "smart charger" as this will work out the charge the battery will accept and apply that to it rather than just charging.Also make sure the ground connector is connected to the fixing for the spare wheel well,not on the negative terminal of the batery.There is a unit that controls battery charging for the vehicle and if you bypass this can cause all sorts of problems with the charging of the car as the unit thinks that the battery is in a low state of charge when you have just charged it.Jump starting is okay but just make sure the xf is switched off when connections applied and the same restrictions apply to the ground connector.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts