XF Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I dont mean a zebra car! ;)

Right, I have 2 days to decide on whether to upgrade to the B&W sound system - is it really worth the £1100? I know it came second in the poll of best options, but just really want to know would I really notice the difference compared to 320w premium system in the premium lux? would I wish I had upgraded if I didnt get it? I know it has the ipod /mp3 connectivity etc but, to risk sounding like an aged woman, I dont actually use them, I'm more a radio gal in the car (maybe a cd occasionally)! :eek:

Thanks for any info....

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Ask your dealer to have a test drive in a car with the alternative system. Take along a favourite CD and then decide if there is a significant and pleasing difference. If you think there is and that you would use it, buy it. If not, discover what the extra cost is likely to be worth when the car is part exchanged in the future. Don't ask the dealer; do the research with an organisation like Glass's Guide or Parkers etc. If you come to the view that the money paid is lost at the outset and not recovered and if you think your listening habits, i.e. Radio mainly, will remain the same, go with the lower price option.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Clearly I'm not in a position to comment on the merits of the 2 systems. I, like you, predominantly listen to the radio but there are occasions when there's not much on and then the ipod connectivity will come into it;s own. I've already loaded a nano up with approx 400 of my favourite songs so I know I can put it on shuffle (random play) and every track is one I want to hear.

If you don't go for the B&W then I would suggest the ipod/mp3 connectivity would be a good idea.

Happy decision making :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The 320 Watt Premium Luxury system has been good enough for me especially as, like you, I normally listen to the radio or German and French lessons on a memory stick. However, after reading favourable reviews I decided to go for the B & W set up when I ordered a 3.0D . If you specify the B & W you must have DAB, which I think is the way to go anyway. In the end I went firm on a Portfolio model which has B & W fitted as standard. Roll on March!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is the B & W "worth it"? The answer is always going to be subjective, after all, we all think the XF is worth it but many people would say not.

I have the B & W and love it for the DAB radio. I haven't heard the 320w option but was prepared to pay the extra as I love my music.

Only you can judge - all I will say is that I wonder if you do not have it whether you will then regret it by wondering "what if...". If you can afford it then why not? ...and you'll get something back on re-sale as it will only make the car more desirable.

Go enjoy :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Far too many sensible answers here; thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll sleep on it - not literally of course ;) - and make decision tomorrow, although am steering towards ordering it! and then THATS IT!! no more options/accessories/gagets, well, not until the car is actually on the driveway :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not sure if it will help in your decision , but i understand you can have the speakers in pink as an extra option with the B & W system :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The stainless steel pedal kit looks good! :ugeek: :ugeek:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I have to say I like the illuminated sill(?) and the chrome pedals, but then that would mean I'd also need to get sensible foot wear... typical ladies shoes dont have much grip and Im sure my feet would slip off the pedals...not wise when trying to brake and slow from 120mph ;)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
XF FX said:
Yes, I have to say I like the illuminated sill(?) and the chrome pedals, but then that would mean I'd also need to get sensible foot wear... typical ladies shoes dont have much grip and Im sure my feet would slip off the pedals...not wise when trying to brake and slow from 120mph ;)
If anything the pedals are less slippery as the rubber mouldings protude through the gaps in the stainless steel plates.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) Definitely, they were the first item ordered; in fact, they were a must have decided on before even the colour was :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Even if you mainly just listen to the radio - as I do then the B&W DAB is great. Best with classical and a good demo is to have the same station set up on FM and DAB. Listen in FM and is sounds good - push the DAB and it's amazing - the surround effect with PL11 and tonal separation will convince you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for comments... B&W has been ordered :) Now to work out how to set up my signature with my to-be Chameleon's details....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts