XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try and sell my current car privately before my XF arrives. What's my best bet Autotrader or Ebay?

Thinking autotrader as its a 1 year old BMW 3 series convertible. Any tips?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Autotrader. I've sold a high-value car on Autotrader before and never had any issues. Too many loons on eBay.

You will get lots of people phoning up offering to sell the car for you so make it clear on the advert that you don't want any canvassers.

Take plenty of good pictures - interior and exterior shots, hide your number plate though! Describe the car honestly and objectively and avoid using subjective (or emotive) language. State all of the important facts simply and clearly: mileage, painwork, interior, options, warranty remaining, service history, documentation, outstanding finance, road tax, MOT (if applicable). Also state any bad points clearly (eg. a scuffed bumper).

State the beneficial facts like non-smoker driver, no pets, never used for towing, if applicable.

You may have the BMW Service Inclusive package so state that too as that's worth a lot. Make sure the car is valeted before buyers turn up to view it. Make sure they or you are insured to allow them to test drive it and always ask them to bring their driving license and insurance document with them (if applicable). I have always asked for photo ID. If a buyer is genuinely interested in a high-value car then that will not be a problem.

Do not hand them the keys if you are outside the car! Take a mobile phone with you. On a test drive, make sure someone knows that you are taking a buyer out on a test drive. Drive on a known route and you drive the car first. Then switch off the engine and take the keys with you whilst you swap seats with the buyer. Then, only when you are in the passenger seat should you hand the key to the buyer to start the car. At the end of the test drive, ask the buyer to switch off the car and hand the key to you. Only then exit the car.

I hope that helps!

·
Administrator
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the sellers guide Roma - very useful.

I havn't sold a car privately since I had bangers when I was a teenager - always part exed.

On Autotrader now - and got an interested call already so fingers crossed. (also a couple of sales calls!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts