XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please first post, currently BMW 5 driver

I am somewhat confused about the Audio options available with the XF and what to select.

It would appear you can select any of the sound systems shown below in combination with a 6 CD Changer or Single CD with IPOD/USB interface.

Q1 Do both CD players play MP3 files
Q2 IS the IPOD/USB interface unique to the CD Player or is it part of the sound system. eg If I selected the default 6 CD Changer with the Jaguar 320W Premium Sound System would I get IPOD/USB as part of the premium sound system.

Any clarificationn would be great

Sound System Options

The XF offers three levels of audio system, all controlled through the Touch-screen.

Level 1: The eight-speaker Jaguar Sound System has a woofer and tweeter unit in each door – the woofer being mounted much higher than conventional systems to ensure good bass reproduction.

Level 2: The Jaguar 320W Premium Sound System has a DSP amplifier linked to nine speakers: eight premium door-mounted and (through clever packaging of the boot area) a 32-litre sub-woofer for enhanced bass.

Level 3: The Bowers & Wilkins 440W Surround Sound System has a remote amplifier with Dolby® Pro-Logic® II 7.1 Surround Sound and 14 speakers.

XF customers can import their own portable media player to interface with the car - including iPod® and other portable audio players, or USB storage devices such as memory sticks. In a world first, full Touch-screen control of the iPod® allows access to Playlists and Music search by Artist, Album or Genre. USB Mass Storage devices may also be accessed via the Touch-screen and other players can be connected to the car through the standard fit Auxiliary Input port.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Hello Scot,
Welcome to the forum :)
I wonder if there is a clue in your ID as to where you may be :?:
It might be useful to know which model XF you are considering as to which item of audio applies. Also, where you are in the world may be relevant.
I have a PL and at the time of buying, the DAB was bundled with the Bowers and Wilkins system; I understand that may not be so anymore. And in some markets overseas it is said to be different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry stupid of me:

In Scotland looking at XF 3.0d V6 Luxury 4dr Auto

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Q1 Do both CD players play MP3 files -

A Yes

Q2 IS the IPOD/USB interface unique to the CD Player or is it part of the sound system. eg If I selected the default 6 CD Changer with the Jaguar 320W Premium Sound System would I get IPOD/USB as part of the premium sound system.

A. No The Portable Audio Interface is a £367 Option and only allows a single CD Player when fitted.

With B & W you get a 6 CD auto-changer and the iPod/USB interface.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would suggest that you have a test listen before deciding on which option to go for, ideally when driving so that you factor in road and traffic noise. When I changed X-Types three years ago, I upgraded from the standard system in my first car to the premium system in my new car without listening beforehand, and didn't really notice much difference for £650. Because of that, I didn't upgrade the audio system when I ordered my XF Luxury, and am happy with the standard system. I like my HiFi, and have a Cyrus system at home where listening conditions are good, but didn't think it was worth £650 for the Premium or £1,790 for the B&W system for the car. I'm glad I added the DAB option because I find it better than FM, and no longer have to put up with terrible AM reception for the likes of Radio 5 live. If you're not worried about having your iPod menu, etc on screen, and don't use USB devices, there is a jack socket connection under the arm rest in the centre console so you can play an iPod / MP3 player through the basic system. I don't use my iPod in the car any more - instead I have made up my own MP3 disks. It obviously depends on the length of the album, but I have copied between 10 and 13 albums on to a CD which, in a six CD player, gives around 60 to 70 albums. The folder structure of an MP3 disk is displayed on the dashboard screen, so you can have ArtistName>AlbumName>TrackName if you set them up that way on the disk. I have some disks with a collection of favourite tracks which I play on random. You'll get about 120 average tracks on one CD so you can have something akin to the shuffle function of the iPod. So - I'm a HiFi buff who has a basic system with the DAB upgrade and am very happy with the sound quality and the functionality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Northman - ths seems like a really dumb question and I am pretty good with all things gadget but what software and instructions did you use to copy music files to CD. I have my complete music library in WMA VBR? I have tried using windows explorer and the single cd player on my luxury won't play the data disk.

Your help would be appreciated.

S

·
0 Posts
My one and only gripe about the XF has been the sound system....at the time of ordering(July 20th 2010).....both the printed brochure and the on-line configurator stated the 320w upgraded HiFi had an integral 6cd unit(I re-checked my spec online the night before visiting the dealer).....and even double checked this with dealer when I placed the order...it 100% stated integral dash mounted 6cd unit.......Roll on 2 months....car delivered and the next day I tried to insert a 2nd cd....no joy....I was convinced there had been a mistake and the upgraded HiFi had not been fitted....I re-checked the on-line configurator....all changed....upgraded HiFi now only comes with a single cd. :( :x

I`v written to Jaguar and I`am waiting for a reply....If I`d known about the spec change I would have definitely ordered either a 6cd unit or audio interface.

As for the 320w system itself....umm I really don`t think it`s worth the extra £650 as it stands at the moment....It would have been worth the extra £££ if it had had the 6cd unit....I`v noticed that some cd`s sound stunning....whilst others sound a bit harsh.....There have been times when I`v still doubted the the upgraded system was fitted....but the dealer has re-assured me it was. ....That said; a friend who is a real HiFi aficionado pointed out that the more top end systems tend to highlight the poor sound quality of some some cd`s.....of which there are many...apparently.....He thinks the system sounds pretty good.....Maybe I`am just going a bit deaf and I can`t appreciate the quality of the 320w system.

Here`s a copy of the radio ticket that was delivered with the car.....Hopefully someone can confirm the CD code = upgraded 320w.

S

·
0 Posts
freewheeling said:
Northman - ths seems like a really dumb question and I am pretty good with all things gadget but what software and instructions did you use to copy music files to CD. I have my complete music library in WMA VBR? I have tried using windows explorer and the single cd player on my luxury won't play the data disk.

I`ll second that.....it will give me something to do over the Winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
penultimateblack said:
Q1 Do both CD players play MP3 files -

A Yes

A. No The Portable Audio Interface is a £367 Option and only allows a single CD Player when fitted.

With B & W you get a 6 CD auto-changer and the iPod/USB interface.
The portable audio interface is £295 according to my price list (and my order confirmation)

·
Registered
211 Posts
**************** said:
freewheeling said:

I`ll second that.....it will give me something to do over the Winter.
Anything that saves MP3 files should do the trick. I have used http://www.filehippo.com/download_audiograbber/ in the past.

S

·
0 Posts
freewheeling said:

Hi Freewheeling

I cut a disk on Tuesday using standard drag and drop on to cd write in Windows XP. All my files are in mp3 192khz format and not wma. Windows media player can burn music files and a playlist to cd. You may need to do a simple google for more info. An article I found in google which looks like a solution.
http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_5052253

Sharky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts