XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Per the latest announcements we will be resetting everyone’s passwords. Shortly you should be receiving an email directing you how to change your password. It will look like this:

Subject: Your new password for *site name*
Dear *username*,

Your password has been reset by an administrator. Your new details are as follows:

Username: *username*

Password: *Randomly generated temp password*

To change your password, please visit this page: *link to password reset edit page from USERCP*

If you suspect this email is a scam, you can confirm the legitimacy of this email by manually navigate to the forum URL yourself and use your new password to log in.

All the best,

Site Name

As you can see it will give you a randomly generated temporary password, as well as telling you where you need to go to updated it accordingly.

If you do not receive this email please go to the contact us page and select Other, and type in Security Password Update Issues

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The Community Support Team

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
new passwords

Apparently new passwords are being issued to increase security of the xf forum website.
A word of caution based on my experience.
If an 'l' is included in the password somewhere it can easily be confused with 1 (numeral), I (capital i) or an l (as in large!)
All look the same as follows:- 1Il when printed out in the mail from the admin.

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts
Simply copy and paste the new password sent to you and then choose a new one in accordance with the instructions.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I made the new password as required. That was not easy. At least ten characters, one capital, one number and one symbol. Reminds me of the old joke, where someone has the password "Mickey Minnie Pluto Huey Louie Dewey Donald Goofy Paris". You know: Eight characters and a capital. Those are the usual requirements. But TEN characters! Do we have to add the Marx Brothers? And a symbol!(?) Like what? The artist formerly known as Prince?

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts
It is daunting when confronted with the need to create a password with so many conditions.
I was just so pleased that all my Apple devices have a secure method of saving a password and auto filling when needed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
But I had assumed that the entries marked with a red cross were inapplicable and that only those noted with a green tick were relevant. Am I right or wrong --- I suspect the latter as the "Save Changes" box does not seem to accept any changes whatsoever.

Please advise.

Richard

·
Registered
415 Posts
It is daunting when confronted with the need to create a password with so many conditions.
I was just so pleased that all my Apple devices have a secure method of saving a password and auto filling when needed.
I agree, Pekem. The keychain system is absolutely invaluable, and I love the feature of writing a 'secure note' to yourself in the same highly secure area which you can use to record online set up and access changes, or just the reason you did what you did at some particular time.

I did a quick check this morning and I have 38 different accounts or accesses that require passwords, and most of my business/professional ones have to be changed every 3 months. There would be absolutely no way of reliably remembering these, particularly as they get ever more secure with symbols etc.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Take the password from the e-mail, and put it in the box at the top of the screen.
Type your own new password into the box above the red crosses.
Type it again in the box below the red crosses.
Click on "Save Changes".

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hi, just a note to the above, as you enter each requirement, capital, symbol, etc; the red crosses will change to green ticks, when all the crosses have changed to ticks the greyed out box will change. Phil

·
Registered
249 Posts
Manythanks to both of you.:). In hindsgight it's amazing how dumb I can be;).

Richard

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Manythanks to both of you.:). In hindsgight it's amazing how dumb I can be;).

Richard
Nothing dumb about it.
It took me a couple of tries.
I was a bit surprised that as I typed in my new password, the characters appeared immediately as asterisks, so there was no certainty that what I had actually typed corresponded to what I thought I had typed.:-D

I deliberately faulted, and started again, typing very slowly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, that was irritating!

Richard

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Take the password from the e-mail, and put it in the box at the top of the screen.
Type your own new password into the box above the red crosses.
Type it again in the box below the red crosses.
Click on "Save Changes".
I'm pretty useless in computer work and don't understand what pasting means i.e. how to actually go about it since my computer organisation is all in German.
Does one do a right click and other steps to achieve this movement from the e-mail to the actual website or what?
I actually did it all manually which was a pain taking me 4/5 goes because of the "1 I l" subtle differences in the password which all appeared the same optically in the mail. I finally did the deed but received another mail from 'administrator' that someone was trying to access my password 4/5 times, which in fact was me, of course.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I'm pretty useless in computer work and don't understand what pasting means i.e. how to actually go about it since my computer organisation is all in German.
Does one do a right click and other steps to achieve this movement from the e-mail to the actual website or what?
I actually did it all manually which was a pain taking me 4/5 goes because of the "1 I l" subtle differences in the password which all appeared the same optically in the mail. I finally did the deed but received another mail from 'administrator' that someone was trying to access my password 4/5 times, which in fact was me, of course.
Most computers have very similar structures, so it shouldn't have been that difficult.
If you like, I'll send you a PM, and see if I can talk you through it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Having nothing but problems with the forum since I changed my password.
The latest is that I can login, but get present with this when trying to access my account
vBulletin Message

supahoops, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I am also finding that my posts are now being sent to the moderator????

Now I work in IT, I understand all about secure passwords, but this is proving to be VERY hard

Looking at my status I am both an Expert and a Newbie :confused:

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
There is an illusion among software geeks to the effect that making passwords less rational makes them harder to break. This is not actually correct. Making them longer increases security but not by much. Decryption software doesn't really care about such things.

The number one security deficiency is the human computer trying to remember the encryption. Usually it gets written down. Any program that saves a password suffers from the deficiency that a thief can access your accounts and then request new passwords. Apple's password keychain doesn't protect you from that security hole. I never ask it to remember important passwords and always log out of sites that need to be truly secure. Sites like this need to be secure primarily for the owners.

Having said that I find the easiest way to adapt is to copy and paste the new password from the informing email to ensure accuracy and then change your password to one familiar to you. Using a password familiar to you and using the very same password for everything have no adverse effect on security. It is not going to be a human attempting decryption. A helpful hint is that the new security seems to make no objection to repeated symbols, a supposed no no in times past. Obviously one can then use a much shorter password repeated, which is easier to recall.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Most computers have very similar structures, so it shouldn't have been that difficult.
If you like, I'll send you a PM, and see if I can talk you through it.
I'd appreciate that, Phil, although I've done the job but for the future maybe I can learn from you!!

Peter

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is an illusion among software geeks to the effect that making passwords less rational makes them harder to break. This is not actually correct. Making them longer increases security but not by much. Decryption software doesn't really care about such things.

The number one security deficiency is the human computer trying to remember the encryption. Usually it gets written down. Any program that saves a password suffers from the deficiency that a thief can access your accounts and then request new passwords. Apple's password keychain doesn't protect you from that security hole. I never ask it to remember important passwords and always log out of sites that need to be truly secure. Sites like this need to be secure primarily for the owners.

Having said that I find the easiest way to adapt is to copy and paste the new password from the informing email to ensure accuracy and then change your password to one familiar to you. Using a password familiar to you and using the very same password for everything have no adverse effect on security. It is not going to be a human attempting decryption. A helpful hint is that the new security seems to make no objection to repeated symbols, a supposed no no in times past. Obviously one can then use a much shorter password repeated, which is easier to recall.
Increasing password length exponentially increases the computing power needed to crack it, especially if numbers and symbols are included in the password to make dictionary attacks also more expensive. The problem with reusing passwords on different sites is if one of those sites is compromised, then potentially other sites where you have used the same password are now also at risk. Using email addresses as usernames is a weakness for the same reason.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Keyboard shortcuts can help, here they are;

COPY = Ctrl + C
PASTE = Ctrl + V

Simply use your mouse to highlight the text you want to copy, then press and hold down the 'Ctrl' key and then press the 'C' key, then release both keys. This copies the highlighted text.
To paste the text, click your mouse where you want it pasted (confirm that a flashing cursor displays), then press and hold the 'Ctrl' key, then press the 'V' key and then realease both keys. The copied text will now have been inserted.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow finally back on the forum after a few weeks in the wilderness.
Thanks to Peter for helping to sort out my password issues.

Mick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts