XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the novelty has worn off, are you still as thrilled by your purchase?
I love the look of my vapour grey XF, but, things like having to replace brake discs and pads after 3k miles, the delay in the turbo kicking in, the fact that the view from the rear view mirror is distorted, the fact that i have to switch on front parking sensors, a sat nav system that is totally user unfriendly, and a fuel consumption figure of 33mpg/ish.
Some how my 03 plate E Class Merc doesnt feel as antiquated as I thought is was!

·
Registered
374 Posts
No, overall i'm not satisfied with my XF. In fact, it's very likely that i'll be selling it in the near future and taking the huge hit in depreciation (£8K in three months!!! - so much for depreciating slower than the German execs!).

I didn't expect so many niggling little faults with a new car and I expected the dealerships to have a reasonable level of technical competence. My last eight cars have been purchased brand new and none have had the niggling issues that the XF has had. The thing that has convinced me to sell up and move on is the lack of assistance from Jaguar Cars themselves - the manufacturer of the car.

My fault list is as follows (so far):

1. Heavily scored rear brake discs - considered 'normal' by dealer and Jaguar Cars. I'm awaiting a written report from the dealer and have an independent vehicle inspection scheduled.
2. Wind noise from drivers side door (A-pillar).
3. Very poor fuel economy (less than 25mpg average - not good for a diesel engine).
4. Slight air leak on front offside tyre after dealer refurbished it. Had this fixed at my cost today. Dealer not interested. I check my tyre pressures at least once a week using a very accurate digital pressure gauge and Michelin compressor - leftovers from the Porsche days where the condition of the tyres was religiously checked!).
5. Awful satnav logic. Common fault.
6. "DSC Not Available" fault averaging once a week. Dealer has no idea.
7. The car is very sluggish moving off (poor for a 2.7D V6 twin-turbo engine).
8. No lacquer coat on my 19" Carelia wheels. Dealer not interested. Jaguar Cars not interested.
9. Distorted view through rear windscreen. Dealer not interested. Jaguar cars not interested.
10. Dealer takes my car and returns it in a worse condition every time it's been back (four times in three months so far).
11. Jaguar Cars not very helpful, referring me back to the dealer.

BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche are in a different league in terms of dealer competence and the manufacturer helping customers when help is required.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yes, I am really satified with my XF - apart from the annoying problem with the Satnav logic.

I was disappointed when a rear brake started chirping after 1000 miles, together with visible rear disc scouring, but my dealer has been excellent and the rear brake system has been replaced.

Jaguar also sent a set of modified window seals for my car after I said I thought the wind noise was a bit excessive on the autobahn when I was giving Customer Relations details of my Satnav logic route/ problems on the Continent.

The fuel efficiency is improving and now averages 36.6 mpg over 3800 miles. I have not experienced the turbo lag problem, I think the XF performs well even when compared to the car it replaced, a 390 bhp XKR. The XF steering, brakes and ride are the best I have experienced in a sports saloon.

All makes of car can suffer from niggling faults that spoil the pleasure of owning a new car. The Mercedes owner living opposite told me his two previous Mercs (E320 CDI Estates) both developed brake chirping (front) soon after he took delivery, which sounded horrific when he turned the steering wheel!. I had a serious wind noise problem in the then newly introduced BMW 523 and it was several months before BMW developed a new set of rubber door seals to cure/reduce the noise. Last year the climate control failed on the first long run my son did in his new Audi TT. His old model TT also had a few minor niggles and the below par dealer, who subsequently lost his Audi franchise, managed to damage the roof of his car with a step ladder!

A useless dealer appears to be your main problem. Dump them and go to another one. I would also write to the CEO of Jaguar and remind him that What Car voted the XF it's car of the year - so perhaps the motoring press would appreciate some real ownership experiences !!!

I

·
Registered
306 Posts
I knew before I bought my XF that there was a good likelyhood that there would be some faults with the car, most if not all seem to be simple easy to put right, Roma if you are placing the german cars you mentioned to the top of your list for a replacement then I would think again after 14 BMWs and 10 years with MB believe me they are not faultless and some have serious problems engines, gearboxes and rust to name a few. If you want peace of mind buy Japanese if you can stand the boredom. I have friends that have bought Lexus and ended up with fights with dealers. You mentioned Porsche they are having a bad time with their reliability look at some of the surveys carried out by JD power etc.

The Jaguar hierarchy must be only to aware of what problems the XF has and I am sure are doing what they can to rectify them, their problem is that like the moves that MB and BMW made years ago is to assume greater control of their franchises, the likes of Statstone, Paramount and Marshalls etc need to get their acts together quickly in the customer service department or lose the franchise.

Give them a little more time roma its early days and as vapourgrey has said go higher up the chain to get better results and compensation for what you have spent from your own pocket, I would not expect that in the cars first year.

gary

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
garyxf said:
I knew before I bought my XF that there was a good likelyhood that there would be some faults with the car, most if not all seem to be simple easy to put right, Roma if you are placing the german cars you mentioned to the top of your list for a replacement then I would think again after 14 BMWs and 10 years with MB believe me they are not faultless and some have serious problems engines, gearboxes and rust to name a few. If you want peace of mind buy Japanese if you can stand the boredom. I have friends that have bought Lexus and ended up with fights with dealers. You mentioned Porsche they are having a bad time with their reliability look at some of the surveys carried out by JD power etc.

The Jaguar hierarchy must be only to aware of what problems the XF has and I am sure are doing what they can to rectify them, their problem is that like the moves that MB and BMW made years ago is to assume greater control of their franchises, the likes of Statstone, Paramount and Marshalls etc need to get their acts together quickly in the customer service department or lose the franchise.

Give them a little more time roma its early days and as vapourgrey has said go higher up the chain to get better results and compensation for what you have spent from your own pocket, I would not expect that in the cars first year.

gary
I have to agree with both Vapourgrey and Garyxf and say that I am very satisfied with my XF. Of course, I have had the niggles mentioned but have not at anytime believed that my decision to buy another Jaguar was wrong. I simply do not accept that there is a car maker today that is not having similar problems either as a result of the technology or the failings of a dealership.

Roma mentioned that he had suffered from the state of losing DSC. I too have had that message and I had it investigated by the dealer and was told that an error code indicated that the rotary gear selector had been moved to quickly. I was told that the selector should be moved step by step rather than spinning to a position. can't say that I was happy with the explanation but I will pay particular attention to that proceedure in future.

I have asked about the scoring on the rear disc and was told that firstly it was not of any consequence and that it was not a safety issue. In other words I should be content with it as it is.

Can we expect that cosmetically a disc should be mirror like or is it natural that a foreign particle will from time to time embed itself between the disc and the pad and cause scoring as I understand the cause of my scoring may be? I have wished that the Sat Nav be improved and have been happy to hear that Jaguar are working on it.

I do get brake dust in far greater amounts on my XF than I ever did on the S Type.
At present I am happy to wait and see if it is present day brake technology creating greater deposits of dust or if their is a fundamental manufacturing problem.

One matter which is of concern to me is the question of Roma's happiness as a Moderator. Is your heart in it still Roma :?: :)

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Roma,
You may wonder why I am more relaxed than you about the niggles that I and others have experienced. It is simply because recently I was in touch with Jaguar direct and I was very reassured by both the speed of response and the undoubted sincerity of the Executive with whom I was in contact to address my concerns.
I implore you to follow the same course and advise that if you are unhappy with the service provided by your dealership to contact Jaguar by phone 0845 3032303 or email via Jaguar website.They will respond positively to you :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
I have asked about the scoring on the rear disc and was told that firstly it was not of any consequence and that it was not a safety issue. In other words I should be content with it as it is.

Can we expect that cosmetically a disc should be mirror like or is it natural that a foreign particle will from time to time embed itself between the disc and the pad and cause scoring as I understand the cause of my scoring may be?
Maybe the scoring is a good thing, there are a lot of after market grooved discs on the market! :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
pekem said:

Can we expect that cosmetically a disc should be mirror like or is it natural that a foreign particle will from time to time embed itself between the disc and the pad and cause scoring as I understand the cause of my scoring may be?
Maybe the scoring is a good thing, there are a lot of after market grooved discs on the market! :lol:
I recently attended a day's visit at the Jaguar factory organised by another forum at which several senior Jaguar representatives took time and trouble to answer questions. They are very much aware of the scored brake disc situation and were at pains to point out that it is not a defect and does not compromise braking performance. They expressed surprise that some dealers had elected to replace discs. The discs on my XF are scored but the brakes are fantastic. I can only comment that the concern expressed in this respect by a number of forum members is unwarrented.

I also on one occaion experienced a fault error on the gearbox. Restarting the car solved the problem. I mentioned this to the dealer and they advised that only sometimes if the gear selecter is turned too rapidly, the processor cannot keep up. Not a problem for me.

As concerns the satnav, I have only had a few difficulties but in general it works fine and as well as other cars I have owned. I wonder whether XF owners who have complained are using it correctly, in particular the option of 3 different routes and route options, before finally selecting the destination.

In nearly 40 years of motoring (including various BMW's, Audis and Mercs) the XF is by far the finest car I have owned.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hutton1969 said:
As concerns the satnav, I have only had a few difficulties but in general it works fine and as well as other cars I have owned. I wonder whether XF owners who have complained are using it correctly, in particular the option of 3 different routes and route options, before finally selecting the destination.
I am afraid the answer is yes. Jaguar agree there is a problem with the route guidance algorithms used by the system in the XF. It always goes for the shortest route regardless and ignores Route Preferences such as Major Roads and Toll Roads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
Hutton1969 said:
I am afraid the answer is yes. Jaguar agree there is a problem with the route guidance algorithms used by the system in the XF. It always goes for the shortest route regardless and ignores Route Preferences such as Major Roads and Toll Roads.
I have not encountered these problems. I have used the sat nav extensively and the only problem occurred on one occasion when in heavy traffic on the M25, I was prompted if I would like an alternative route. I checked the alternative route on the screen which took me off the M25 at the next junction and seemed ok. However, on leaving the M25 the sat nav proceeded to direct me back onto it! I have read similar stories from other XF owners but I have only encountered it once as noted above.

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Sorry to hear that your thinking of selling the XF Roma. I can understand your frustration at all the problems you've had even if they are relatively minor niggles.

I have to say I had a terrible start to XF ownership, a poor initial dealer experience and then a gearbox fault after 20 miles, but after that it has been plain sailing. I'm really enjoying the car and thrilled with my purchase.

It's not perfect - I'm averaging about 28mpg which is less than I'd hoped for, I have a bit of wind noise from the passenger door, I also feel it is sluggish off the mark when pulling out of a junction but as an overall experience I love driving and being in the car.

At the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice - if you feel that it's not for you then dump it (Is that 8k loss an actual quote from a dealer? - ouch). I've had problems with lots of cars in the past so I don't think the Jag is much different in that respect.

What will you replace it with?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have got the rear windscreen issue. jaguar have now "Purged" their supply of faulty ones and are sending out a replacement to my dealer shortly. but has taken 2 months !!

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
presidentk said:
I have got the rear windscreen issue. jaguar have now "Purged" their supply of faulty ones and are sending out a replacement to my dealer shortly. but has taken 2 months !!
Well that does not seem unreasonable to me. It must be a very difficult operation within the factory to identify the faulty screens and at the same time maintain production using good ones. Bearing in mind that parts are delivered " just in time" it must have been a nightmare for the production manager :oops: :evil:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am very happy with my purchase barring the sat nav issue which will eventually be resolved and is impacting on other manuafacturers.

If you have the rear window distortion you will have an 8 or .8 at the bottom of the black label in the top left of the screen. Jaguar know this is a fault and they will be replaced. Mine has .7 so I am happy :lol:

I do not have scored discs and the amount of brake dust is calming to a normal level. Also my wheels definately have a laquer on them.

The take off from standstill is a little slow but I have learnt to simply apply more pedal travel on a standing start and it isnt really an issue for me any more.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
craig said:
I am very happy with my purchase barring the sat nav issue which will eventually be resolved and is impacting on other manuafacturers..
Craig, would you happen to know which other car makers are affected? Owners of the new Audi TT and BMW 335D I know are happy with their Satnavs and the latest Mercedes system is considered to be the pick of the bunch. However, I understand the Aston Martin satnav has a problem.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love my car to bits and I am always stealing looks at it in the garage,but the car is booked in to my local dealer on the 11 aug to have a couple of faults sorted (hopefully) no mood light on the passenger door and more importantly a noise which I think is either engine, transmission or exhaust but gets louder as you go faster it makes the car the noisest car I have ever had apart from a BMW 318i with a blown head gasket, even the wife says "whats that noise" so it must be bad, only problem is it appears no one else has the same fault and I have this feeling it could be a long drawn out fix, if they can find it. Still think the car is great.

gary

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
garyxf said:
I love my car to bits and I am always stealing looks at it in the garage,but the car is booked in to my local dealer on the 11 aug to have a couple of faults sorted (hopefully) no mood light on the passenger door and more importantly a noise which I think is either engine, transmission or exhaust but gets louder as you go faster it makes the car the noisest car I have ever had apart from a BMW 318i with a blown head gasket, even the wife says "whats that noise" so it must be bad, only problem is it appears no one else has the same fault and I have this feeling it could be a long drawn out fix, if they can find it. Still think the car is great.

gary
Gary,
Has the dealer heard the noise? I ask because it would have been worthwhile if you were able to persuade a technichian to go round the block with you. My dealer's Service Manager often does that. And of course if the noise emanating from your car is something that has not been experienced before they do have the oppotunity to raise it with the factory before you get there on the 11th. Nothing more annoying than to leave a car for investigaion only to be told at 5pm that they do not know what the problem is but "don't worry we have raised it with the factory"
Just a thought ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
pekem said:
garyxf said:

gary
Gary,
Has the dealer heard the noise? I ask because it would have been worthwhile if you were able to persuade a technichian to go round the block with you. My dealer's Service Manager often does that. And of course if the noise emanating from your car is something that has not been experienced before they do have the oppotunity to raise it with the factory before you get there on the 11th. Nothing more annoying than to leave a car for investigaion only to be told at 5pm that they do not know what the problem is but "don't worry we have raised it with the factory"
Just a thought ;)
Its a bit drawn out but here goes, I phoned up the garage on a monday after picking the car up on a friday, the lady on the Statstone servicing desk said bring it in now, when I got down to the garage the servicing manager was stressed out and told me that the lady I spoke to was a call centre and had no idea how busy they were and he could do nothing at that time. I made an appointment for 3 weeks later the first slot avilable with a loan car as he said it may need more than a day to fix. I did email Stratstone HQ saying how pi$$ed off I was to drive 40 miles to be told to come back later, yes you guessed it no reply.

gary

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Its a bit drawn out but here goes, I phoned up the garage on a monday after picking the car up on a friday, the lady on the Statstone servicing desk said bring it in now, when I got down to the garage the servicing manager was stressed out and told me that the lady I spoke to was a call centre and had no idea how busy they were and he could do nothing at that time. I made an appointment for 3 weeks later the first slot avilable with a loan car as he said it may need more than a day to fix. I did email Stratstone HQ saying how pi$$ed off I was to drive 40 miles to be told to come back later, yes you guessed it no reply.

gary[/quote]

That's the kind of poor service I hate. 3 weeks for a loan car is fine if its a service but for a fault on a brand new car? Ridiculous. Hope you get it sorted Gary.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
XF Admin said:

gary
That's the kind of poor service I hate. 3 weeks for a loan car is fine if its a service but for a fault on a brand new car? Ridiculous. Hope you get it sorted Gary.[/quote]

Being an old cynic, I suspect that it is to do with the fact that it is warranty work. I have heard, just a rumour though, that warranty work is not as profitable as regular custom. Now, if it is true and, as was the case with Gary's car, it was not supplied by the dealer being asked to carry out the work, whose car would get priority; Gary's or the people that have bought from the dealer? As I said, call me an old cynic ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts