XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having recently become an XF'er I'm looking for options when it comesto cleaning and caring for my new baby. I've been looking around locally for car valeted and spotted a few mobile valeters who use steam car wash equipment.

I was wondering if anyone has any previous experience of this type of exterior cleaning and more importantly is it a good way to keep the car looking good.

cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
170 Posts
There are some benefits, especially in the hard to reach areas, however, if you have and chips/flakes in the paint then I wouldn't do it. The steam cleaners run at very high pressure and at very high temperature and this could easily lead to peeling paint off! It has also been know to tarnish alloy wheels if there are any cracks in the laquer.

I think I would want to wash the car first also in order to remove most of the dirt and grit, as blasting this across your paintwork won't help too much. By washing it first then begs the question as to why spend the time steaming it after!

I'm very cautious with anything 'water under pressure' as it can get in places that you don't want it to, so I stick to good old fashioned hand washing*

* Just my opinion

·
Registered
260 Posts
Agree with the above, can also cause problems with water ingress into lights, fuel filler flap mechanisms, door locks etc. Some of these cleaners can be very harsh, they have their uses but I wouldn't recommend them for routine use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks valuable advice there, much appreciated. I think I may just invest in some decent products and give it a go myself, meguiars seems to be a popular brand so may invest in their foamer for my karcher and their other bits and bobs and go with the good old fashioned DIY routine, either that or look for a decent halfway house between a full detail and a good valet service.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
All I use is a hose, then bucket, hand mit and a supply of cheap car shampoo. On lazy days I take it to the supermarket. In the winter I use my Karcher window vac and leather to dry but in the summer a leather is all you need as it starts to dry very quickly.
My cars are always gleaming as they never get beyond surface dirt from new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts