XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in an argument with my local Jaguar dealer about the condition of my rear brake discs. They are heavily scored and gouged. The fronts are much better. A tell-tale sign of a problem is that there is more brake dust on the rear wheels than the front wheels.

Anyway, I have taken my XF to my local Porsche dealer and one of their technicians has suggested that there is a problem with my rear discs, possibly caused by faulty brake pads. My local Jaguar dealer says everything is fine. I'm now taking the car to another Jaguar dealer over the weekend to get another opinion.

The rust spots are because the car hasn't been driven for a few days.

Here are three pictures of the nearside rear brake disc:

And here are three pictures of the offside rear disc:

Opinons please. The discs on my previous Porsche Cayman S were mirror-like. I've also checked two other XFs at my local dealer and both have shiny, smooth brake discs.

To be honest, my dealer is really ****ing me off. I run my own car forum and have a decent level of knowledge about cars, but am not an expert in any way. However, I can recognise knackered brake discs a mile off.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
They look about the same as the rear discs on my XF were. I kicked up a fuss, threw my toys out of the pram and Jaguar agreed to replace the rear discs and calipers because I had also suffered from a chirping noise from the rear offside brake which cleaning and lubricating failed to cure. Both rear discs were scored more than the fronts and like your Porsche bloke the mechanic who did the work thought the problem was most likely caused by faulty pads!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine look exactly like yours Roma and car is currently in the garage having the discs and pads replaced with no fuss from the dealership at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Whilst you may be correct that they are scored (i.e.different from when new)
does this effect their performance, and therefore should you be concerned?

I must have a look at mine over the week end. I'm sure all cars will have some scoring, they are just so visible on the XF

·
Registered
30 Posts
Roma, please let me know how you get on at the other dealer. I have taken my car back for a second time to my dealer, and, have been told (quite dismissively) that the scoring is not a problem and that jaguar will not do any warranty replacements on the brakes or discs.
They say that any dealer doing this work is doing it their own expense as jaguar is is not paying them for it
Also, the hub at the centre of the disc is badly rusted.

Should I be making a fuss?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Will do, mate.

I simply will not accept any crap from the dealer. I have a local tyre shop near my home and they do brakes as well. I had a chat with one of the mechanics yesterday and he told me that scoring on discs can be an MOT failure, subject to the depth. I'm popping the car around to him on my way to work in the morning for him to have a quick visual inspection and offer me his opinion. I have a deep gouge in one of my discs and I get more brake dust on the rears than the fronts. The brake bias is always set to the front wheels so something is wrong when the rears collect more brake dust.

I've been looking at other cars this weekend and, in particular, the condition of the brake discs. Most of the exec cars that i've seen have shiny brake discs.

My car is going back to the dealer next weekend and the dealer is going to take photos of the discs, with the wheels removed, and send them to Jaguar for comment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
:( :( :( roma your discs look like they need replacing good luck and dont give up,p.s. i love looking at owners pics on forum it will be 8 wks before i get my replacement xf

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took my car back to the dealer for the third time. The service manager agreed to take photos and send them to Jaguar. Will do this on friday.
I will let everyone know what happens Friday

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SN08 TOM said:
any luck with discs today
Well, my local tyre fitter had a look at the discs this morning and said that they were scored quite badly. The car is going to the dealer next weekend for them to take photographs and send them to Jaguar HQ. I have already emailed the photos I took to Jaguar HQ but they seem to take the side of dealers and appear to put the customer last. I must have spoken to Jaguar HQ around 7-8 times last week and their customer relations woman was quite dismissive and didn't want to know. She just said that I have to go to my dealer, who is crap and part of the problem.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Roma said:
SN08 TOM said:
any luck with discs today
Well, my local tyre fitter had a look at the discs this morning and said that they were scored quite badly. The car is going to the dealer next weekend for them to take photographs and send them to Jaguar HQ. I have already emailed the photos I took to Jaguar HQ but they seem to take the side of dealers and appear to put the customer last. I must have spoken to Jaguar HQ around 7-8 times last week and their customer relations woman was quite dismissive and didn't want to know. She just said that I have to go to my dealer, who is crap and part of the problem.
Why not stop going round in circles and instruct an independent engineer :?: Start with the AA or similar and bring this matter to a swift close.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Snap! my rear discs are also heavily scored. My dealer tried to fob me off with a crap line about the car being heavier thus more wear on the discs! After some serious adult discusion photos of my discs have been sent to Jaguar for advice.

My other car which is a Ford Focus I have had since new, the discs are smooth mirror like.

Looks like a bad batch of pads entered into production.

Fingers crossed on outcome. Otherwise what a car!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting that a number of owners are getting quite excited about this. Like I asked earlier, is the fact that there is evidence of scoring actually effecting performance, or indeed is it a safety issue?

If not why worry?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scoring can be a safety hazard as it can be an MOT failure. It appears that faulty brake pads are the cause of the scoring and the fact that they are faulty should be of concern where the braking system is concerned. If the pads contain impurities and were to disintegrate under heavy braking then that's cause enough for concern.

See here: http://www.ukmot.com/3-5.asp

Method of inspection
h. the condition and security of brake drums and discs

Reason for rejection
h. a brake disc or drum insecure, cracked or excessively scored, pitted or worn

·
Registered
319 Posts
After 3,500 miles , my rear discs , whilst not what i would think of as seriously scored , are certainly & quite obviously worse than the front.
i watch both my discs & this topic with great interest .
excellent suggestion Pekem, re a profesional 'independant' inspection.
would be interesting to know , what percentage of owners actually do have scored discs on the rear.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sodgob said:
would be interesting to know , what percentage of owners actually do have scored discs on the rear.
I have created a poll in this section so that we can get an idea of percentages.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Complained to my dealer on July 1st about scored rear discs after1800 miles and they agreed to change discs while I waited.After 5 minutes receptionist advised me that modified discs would soon be available for this known and recorded problem and they would call me to re-book the car when they arrived. The only other annoying problem with the XF is the way the windscreen washers jet water on the top side of the wiper blade and this then is pushed up the screen in a wedge of water and ends up on the drivers side window obliterating the view in the mirror.This design problem needs an urgent fix please Jaguar!

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
hydrajaws said:
Complained to my dealer on July 1st about scored rear discs after1800 miles and they agreed to change discs while I waited.After 5 minutes receptionist advised me that modified discs would soon be available for this known and recorded problem and they would call me to re-book the car when they arrived. The only other annoying problem with the XF is the way the windscreen washers jet water on the top side of the wiper blade and this then is pushed up the screen in a wedge of water and ends up on the drivers side window obliterating the view in the mirror.This design problem needs an urgent fix please Jaguar!
It would be interesting to know where you are based; you might like to review your Profile :?:

·
Registered
30 Posts
As I have already said, I took the car into the dealer who was going to photograph the discs.
When they phoned to say the car was ready, they had replaced discs and pads.
I am feeling vindicated but having said that, it took me 3 visits to the dealer. :) :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only other annoying problem with the XF is the way the windscreen washers jet water on the top side of the wiper blade and this then is pushed up the screen in a wedge of water and ends up on the drivers side window obliterating the view in the mirror.This design problem needs an urgent fix please Jaguar!
I totally agree!! Using the washer or in heavy rain, it's impossible to use the side mirror.

On my previous car (Audi A6), they had a plastic channel on the windscreen that directed the water over the roof. And if Jag don't fix this, I'm tempted to stick on something myself.

Sorry to hijack this thread (and I've had my rear discs replaced after 280 miles!! - search for my other posts with pics) - but does anyone else feel strongly about this windscreen issue?

Kenny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts