XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Howard's post on the black grille and aqua wax, and a little searching online I decided last night I'll get some Aqua Wax. I'd also been after one of those squeegee things for quick removal of surface water, but frightened of scratching :shock:

After researching some of the cheapest prices (eBay etc) I decided that despite Halfords prices being higher on individual items, it actually worked out a better deal with their 3 for 2 offer... I went to Halfords this morning and got 1 x Auto Glym Hi-Tech Flexi Blade and 2 x Auto Glym Aqua Wax packs..

I expected to find one microfibre cloth in each Aqua Wax kit but there were two which was a nice surprise also! :)

Anyway having washed the car yesterday I quickly washed it again (dusty overnight and drive to Halfords), used the Flexi Blade to rid of excess water (a bit scary but it works really nicely and no scratching - presumably car needs to be spotlessly clean!) and applied the Aqua Wax..

Wow what amazing stuff... Smells great too! Some very minor surface scratches just disappeared!

Really made up with it and can wholly recommend! No I don't work for Auto Glym but I really like their products - their glass cleaner is superb too!

K

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looking good Keith :D

I too have started to use Auto Glym products and am impressed with them. Their glass cleaner is probably the best I've ever used for leaving a clean and smear free surface with very little effort. The products may cost a little more but IMO are well worth the money (and no, I don't work for them either, or own shares in the company ;) )

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long did it take to apply?
Time flies when you're having fun, so I'm not really sure, but to be honest, I found it easier than regular 'cream polish' (like mer, turtle wax etc)...

A couple of squirts of the bottle (spray application makes it so much easier too) on say a 2ft square area then rub in with the cloth, move to next bit... I'd say about an hour to cover whole car (except windscreen - avoid that).

Since the microfibre cloth also dries the remaining water, and there is very little residue (unlike the polishes that can leave white streaks), when I came round again to buff off (with the other dry microfibre cloth), it left just a perfect glossy finish... :cool:

I think the trick is not to use too much spray in one go, and wring out the 'applicating' microfibre cloth as it gets wet collecting remaining water, then ensure the buffing cloth doesn't get wet.

All in all probably 90 mins or so I'd say but really wasn't clock watching - probably be quicker next time as I learn better, and had to go over a few areas I'd missed on the roof! :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and I should also add, apart from the windscreen, there are no areas you can't seemingly use this stuff (it doesn't leave nasty white streaks on rubbers etc) :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
My garage is full of Autoglym products - have been using their new super wax but have the aqua as well.
Their tyre spray is also excellent for maintaining that 'as new' look

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi

Does anyone one have any views about taking the car to one of those hand cash wash places once a week?

Many thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
102 Posts
dcsxf said:
Hi

Does anyone one have any views about taking the car to one of those hand cash wash places once a week?

Many thanks

Daniel
Yes..... Don't :roll: I won't even let the dealer wash my car when it goes in for work/service as I have had too many experiences scratched paintwork (usually only minor) where it is difficult to prove who has done it. If you have the car supaguarded (or similar) it is easy enough to keep clean and at least you won't have to worry about anyone else damaging yor car.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
As iceman says; stay away from machines or hand car washes. :!:
Spend the money on some good cleaning products and do it yourself. You will quickly notice chips and blemishes if they appear, which you can then correct, if your doing it yourself ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
It really depends on what you prefer. My local band of Albanians or whatever are careful, thorough and cheap (I keep a close eye on them as they work) and are fine for what I need.

Others need something else, of course...................

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used Aqua Wax when it first came out. It's quick...very quick but I found that the car was suffering from far more swirl marks than I liked so it was back to tried and trusted auto glymm. Then, for a change after I saw it won the Auto-express wax trial I tried turtle Wax platinum. Very easy to use wax and the Platinum Extra gloss comes off much easier that AGs Extra gloss.

When mine was in the dealer's last week they washed it. In the sun on saturday you could tell that they'd either used a brush or a sponge to wash it as there were minor scratches everywhere. Now polished out again...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Steamdreamer for that, my question was not really which was better, I guess doing it yourself will be - but with the best of intentions I know I am not going to spend an hour on it myself every week for the next 5 or so years.

The hand car wash I take my current car to do a good job and I don't think they will scratch it or anything.

What I was trying to ask is - if I do take it there will the fact that it is being washed once a week and with the kind of products they use damage the paintwork in any way?

I intend to use some good wax on it myself as well - would every 6 months be enough?

Also if I did go for the Supaguard thingy - will I get ripped off any more from the dealer than if I take it to the local franchise direct? Is there any other way of getting it done?

Any thought most appreciated.

Daniel

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Do it all yourself, including the Superguard, if you think it worthwhile :!:
I prefer good Carnauba wax and a quick Detailer. Once done it will be a ten minute job to keep it looking as good as new on a weekly basis and every few months, Wash, Clay and then Wax again, job done :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts