XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am considering an XF in the New Year and would appreciate some feedback on a couple of issues; (1) Diesel or petrol engine, and (2) Standard 17" wheels or bigger?
I currently run a Chrysler 300C diesel and it is a cracking car on the motorway, but decidely 'lumpy' in town. I know the benefits of a modern diesel engine, but can't help thinking that an equivalent (3.0) petrol engine would be both quieter and smoother; - is that the case?
Regarding wheel size, I find that modern low-profile tyres give a rough ride over anything but smooth tarmac, - I can feel every cats-eye at times. Most dealer's stock seems to have over-sized wheels fitted for no apparent reason other than they are 'upgrades', I have yet to meet to salesman who can explain the logic behind them. Are they worth it?

Roger V

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Hello Roger V,
Welcome to the forum. :)
There has been discussion on the differences between engines here previously and as I recall the majority expressed satisfaction with their present 2.7d and were not persuaded that the forthcoming 3 Litre D would offer much more to their driving experience.
I would be surprised if engine noise of the new 3L would be an issue, we will have to wait to discover. Have you had a test run in an XF yet :?: As for tyre size etc, I am sure that others will be able to comment more; I am happy with my 18", which are standard on the PL, and have never felt the desire to try others. I wonder, as it seems the 3L will replace the 2.7 next year if the standard tyre size will change :?:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The ride on the 17" Pirellis is actually no better than the 18" Dunlops (which steer better) so I'd go with them. Also wouldn't consider the petrol V6, lacks torque and will probably have poor residuals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I have test driven a basic 2.7 D with 17" wheels, and am suitably impressed. :) Certainly smoother and quieter than the 300C.
I noticed that most dealers have higher spec models on offer and I don't want to get carried away with extra gadgets or bling.

Roger V

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thing I've noticed is the luxury and premium luxury are very similar in price on the second hand market but the premium is 3 grand more new. So expect to lose more on the premium, depends how long you want to keep the car for I guess.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Roger V,
If you are not likely to place an order until next year, you may want to re-visit a dealer and dig around. I understand that the 2.7D is being discontinued in favour of the 3L D from the Spring, and it may well be that other changes will be announced at the launch in relation to such things as tyres, colours, wheels; one could keep speculating. This may be a reason why the dealerships presently, according to where you have been, have higher spec models on offer. They will look more appealing, perhaps, in any sell off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts