XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first glitch on Friday when I heard what sounded like a twittering noise coming from the offside rear wheel when driving through the Heathrow tunnel. It started again after about 50 miles on the return journey and passing through Pulborough the XF was turning heads for all the wrong reasons! On Monday the noise started after 25 miles, indicating the problem was getting worse and heat related. When I took it to the dealer on Tuesday morning the rear offside was twittering like a skylark after 18 miles so I had something for them to go on. Unfortunately the car sat for 30 minuteds before they looked at the brakes and could find nothing wrong. After a quick drive round the block they failed to induce the noise so they asked me to take the car out with the mechanic in the back seat so he could hear the noise if I could get it to start. After two trips round the block it started again and I was able to show him how light braking silenced it. He removed the rear offside caliper, cleaned and lubricated the pistons, which were not returning home fully when hot, forcing the pads to stay in light contact with high spots on the disc. Touch wood everything is now back to normal.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Interesting that you should mention a braking system fault, VG.

I got a "DSC not available" warning yesterday as I pulled up into my driveway after a fairly long drive. It disappeared after I restarted the engine. It's probably a faulty ABS sensor or water ingress into one of the ABS sensors.

I'll keep an eye on it but it didn't happen today.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My only "fault" so far is the one mentioned about the ipod not charging. Oh yes and my illuminated sill plates still dont illuminate so i guess thats two :lol:

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
I also suffered the "DSC not available" warning when on a journey. I seem to remember that it was accompanied by a massive loss of power. I was resigned to having to call out Jaguar Assistance but thought it might be worth a reboot. In fact that was all that was required. I remembered that on occasions my S Type would fail to display any information such as Average MPG, Speed or Time etc. It was always remedied by turning of engine and restarting. I figured that I was driving a computer and therefore I should do the same as when my Windows Vista PC plays up. I wonder if a "Fly by Wire"
Airbus Pilot has ever experienced the same and what remedy would be applied! :shock:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote="pekem" I wonder if a "Fly by Wire" Airbus Pilot has ever experienced the same and what remedy would be applied! :shock:[/quote]

That's what we did on the Boeing 757 when it first came out in 1983 - it had 167 computers controlling the systems if my memory serves me right. We used to pull the relevent circuit breakers, count five then reset. :ugeek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The biggest fault seems to be getting spare parts. I'm waiting for one little seat motor relay and it would appear that I maybe REALLY waiting some time for it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
XFBHV said:
The biggest fault seems to be getting spare parts. I'm waiting for one little seat motor relay and it would appear that I maybe REALLY waiting some time for it.
I wouldnt be waiting for it at all. The car doesnt fit the description of what was sold as the seat doesnt adjust. It is new enough then under the sale of goods act to threaten to reject it which if you wanted to you could. Threaten them with it and they will get a motor. At the end of the day if they couldnt get one then they couldnt build any new ones so its not a parts issue it is an effort issue. If you dont get any joy phone Jaguar directly at their customer relations centre.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have bought 2 of these supposedly wonderful Jags!!

Both are the 2.7 D one luxury (wifes) and one Premium Luxury (mine).

I am stationed in Germany with work and am lucky enough to be able to buy these cars tax free.

My Wife drove her`s from peterborough to Osnabruck 600 miles colected on March 14th Lovely looking car with the upgraded 18`s but looking around it i could see a big score in the drivers side rear brake disk. 100 miles later one appeared in Passanger side rear.
Both rear disk have been replaced under warranty.

Now things get far worse!!

I picked up my XF from Marshalls in Peterborough 14th april. Drove to Channel Tunnel then across France Beligum Holand and to Mochengladbach in Germany were i had a metting the next day I covered 405 miles of motorway. I started the car to drive to work the next day and it displayed restricted perfomance having had this sort of message in other cars i turned the car on and off three times to no avail. So i drove three miles to site and called Jaguar assist. They were very helpfull. I told them whast the message said and they informed me they would send a tow truck. The truck arrived and took me to The Jaguar Dealer Ship in Mochengladbach.
This is were my nightmare starts. The service desk manager a Mr Merk was wery rude and refusesd to look at the car as its warranty was not yet disp[laying on the jaguar international warranty register. This csan taske up to aweek afret your car is piurchased. So basicaly they refused to lend me a car so Jaguar Uk had to hire me a Merc C Class. A week later they look at it and say they need a new fuel injection unit and that it is on back order. I am flying to the States the next day for 16 days and i agree to give hire car back and they ensure me the car will be delivered to my local dealer in the time i am away. A week latter i get a call from Jaguar Assist telling me that the car is having to have a new Engine!! it will be ready for my return. I get back cars not ready Mr Merk at the Dealer Ship in Mochengladbach has been Avasive and abusive to my local dealership on several occassion. I then have a go at Jaguar my self for the poor customer service. They then supply me a Merc E Class and tell me the car is also having to have a new turbo and complete exhaust system including Cat. The car arrives about a week later.
Having no Faith in the garage at this point i check round the car including checking fluids. The Brand New engine is bellow the Minum marker on the Oil and my front Bumper is damaged were it looks like someone has stood on it while working on the engine.

In the first 35 days of ownership i only had my XF for 1 complete day!!

Now my ack brake disks are scoring like the other cars did.

Case on going!!

If this is a car that is going to save Jaguar they need to get there act together!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
^ That is just shocking. I would try and reject the car by talking to Jaguar HQ directly. And demand compensation for the inconvenience.

What Car? have a consumer helpline and Jaguar would **** themselves if your plight was publicised in What Car? magazine.

My advice is to never, ever take poor service lying down. It's your money at stake here. You deserve a car that works and no hassle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would have demanded a replacment car and the original dealer that i purchased the car off agreed that this was a resonable request. My problem was customs as both cars were purchased a miliry sales for export there has been no vat paid on the car. if the car was returned to uk someone not me would have to pay the vat. Customs insist the car has the same fault three times before it can be returned. So i am stuck in a world of beurracy :evil: :evil: .
i am in the proccess of demanding compo!
A big discount of a xfr when relassed would be nice as an appology if i dont lose faith in the brand.

ill keep it posted.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Wizzard, it would be down to Jaguar to pay the VAT as the vehicle is not of merchantable quality. I wouldnt worry about that I would just reject it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wizzard, I have known of cars being rejected for far less than your problems in the BFG community with both C&I and BFGVLO agreeing to the suspension of tax and BFG registration. A good friend of mine returned his XK8 because he deemed the paint not to be of suitable quality and all was sorted out with ease via both organisations. Best person to engage initially is Landrover/Jaguar Germany, the BFG tax-free co-ordinator, who should be made aware of your issues and can assist with a solution to your problem. I can send you his details if you haven't tried that route already.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My cat went the vet's yesterday. As of now, it's still there.

The problems:

1) Hesitation (jerking) under acceleration (in gear 2) in any transmission mode.

2) Gearbox on several occasion refused to engage in gear with the flashing red light symptom as reported by some owner(s), although with mine, it's always been recoverable by shifting to 'P' then to the desired setting.

3) Lost turn indicator sound. I guess the dashboard speaker blew.

4) Some odd squeaking/rattling/knocking sound from the B column. Possible from the seat belt tensioning mechanism.

5) Intermittently, the engine (3.0 V6) emits a whining noise under acceleration. When that occurs, engine less willing to pull, gear changes less willing.

6) Brake creak from all four brakes. Most noticeable when parking.

7) ABS operates frighteningly early when parts of car not warmed up from a cold-start. This is not good because I live on the top of a small hill with a cross junction not far away where drivers tend to go faster than they ought to.

8) Steering column doesn't always lower to preset position, occasionally losing preset memory.

9) Lower right corner of the touchscreen bezel cracked. Possible a stress fracture from the factory. From where I sit, it cannot be seen. A lady friend admiring the car brought it to my attention.

10) Prodigious fuel consumption. Possibly related to some other problems above. Maybe a software issue?

11) Fickle auto wiper operation. Occasionally goes fast for a light drizzle.

Apart from the 'few' issues, I love my car. The chassis is the best sorted that I've come across in any current or past executive saloon. Corners/bends I take at higher than usual speeds (*smiles*). The steering is fast, direct and precise. When behaving itself, the engine is smooth and quiet. My iPhone works flawlessly with the car. The B+W system engulfs me.

Can't wait to get it back.

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
"Apart from the 'few' issues, I love my car."
You must be a Service Managers dream customer and you will probably live to a very old age as a reward for avoiding stress and looking on the bright side.
I congratulate you on your attitude and I hope your car is back with you very soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thank you very much.

I am trying to maintain an even keel here, having moved from BMW to Jaguar. The XF is my first Jag and, I hope, not my last. The local representative was good enough to provide me with an X-type which can't hold a candle anywhere near the XF - please excuse me, X-Type owners.

My BMW X5 spent - probably - more than 6 months in the shop, all told, in the 5 years it was with me. It had problems just about everywhere. There was one particularly annoying fault which the locals and BMW couldn't fix. The remote lock/unlock would go on a short strike from time to time for no reason. BMW had the controller changed twice and my key once. All to no avail. Neither could they find anything wrong with my left front suspension although there were thumping noise coming from it, never mind a distinct pull to the left that ate the tyre. The car died on my at least 3 times due to electrical maladies. Once that occurred on a car park entrance ramp. Good thing it was a basement car park because I had a line of cars behind me!

The XF, despite its annoyances, is a breath of fresh air (fresh leather, too). I am putting my experience down as that of an early adopter of the first-run of a brand-new model line. I shall not be so compulsive the next time.

Did I mention that I ordered the car based solely on its lovely rear end?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Its a sure sign of a man (or woman) of taste and discretion that he/she appreciates a glorious rear end wherever they see one. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Steamdreamer said:
Its a sure sign of a man (or woman) of taste and discretion that he/she appreciates a glorious rear end wherever they see one. ;)
You are the second person to say that, but with taste and tact. The first was crass. Ha ha!

How many would disagree that the XF's rear end is the best looking part?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I got a very strange fault today. One of my windscreen washer jets doesn't work (drivers side). I peered in through the grille just below the windscreen and saw that there was no rubber tubing attached to it. A minor problem normally. I called up my dealer and booked my car in to get that repaired. They can do that repair within 30 minutes as it's just a matter of clipping the tubing back on.

However, as I was driving around today I noticed my LCD display showing that my stereo volume had been changed. This was happening every few seconds even though I wasn't changing the volume.

Then, when I was reversing, the parking sensors were suggesting that I was close to an object when I wasn't anywhere near anything.

My guess is that water from the loose washer jet tubing has got into some electronics to cause some false readings somewhere. I called my dealer and they weren't interested. I called Jaguar Assistance and they weren't interested either. I then called Jaguar Customer Relations who got onto Jaguar Assistance. That was this morning. As of nearly 4.00pm, i'm still waiting for someone to turn up. I just want them to check the car over to make sure it's not about to die as I have some important clients to meet over the next few days and i'll be doing a lot of driving.

I've also booked the car in for a full diagnostic check for next week with my dealer. I'll leave it with the dealer for the day and i've told them that I don't want it back unless it passes the diagnostic check. I've also asked for documentary evidence of the diagnostic check.

So, water = bad for the XF electronics. It's just my hunch but i'm fairly sure that is what has caused some phantom inputs to vehicle systems.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Good luck with that Roma!

I also have a huge problem today. Un-noticed until now but the drivers door pillar has a section of moulded plastic missing which looks like it has snapped off. Now that wouldnt be too bad but how I found it was by getting out of my car, turning round and ripping a hole in my suit! :eek: Now those of you who know me will know my taste in clothes so this nice tear is in the sleve of a Oswald Boateng suit with is only six months old. I am not a happy bunny and will be ripping the head off my dealer when i get chance!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, good luck Roma. Your dealer could well use the opportunity to update your car's software. My P & J is at the vet's, sorry dealer, having two new rear discs and calipers fitted. Jaguar want to learn what is wrong with the original (scored) discs and sticking rear off side caliper asap. Temporarily I have a nice new Emerald Fire 2.7D PL sitting on the drive. Took some photos, but much prefer the Vapour Grey.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts