XF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my XF the dealer offered me afixed price service pack deal. There are some savings but you have to pay upfront. Does anyone have any views on whether this is worth doing?

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
andrewll said:
When I picked up my XF the dealer offered me afixed price service pack deal. There are some savings but you have to pay upfront. Does anyone have any views on whether this is worth doing?
Hi,
I think it would depend on the cost of service in the future, the date anticipated for the delivery of those services etc., and of course the discount compared to the rates of interest payable in a savings type account over the term.
There was some discussion on a previous thread which "Search" revealed on a similar topic.
http://www.xfforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... rvice#p558

·
Registered
773 Posts
Any fixed price servicing "Deal" is only unfortunately still going to reflect Jaguar main dealer labour rates which at most establishments now are approaching the £100/Hour plus vat heady heights.As the XF just needs an oil and filter change at 1 year or 15000 miles plus a check on the every day fluid levels and possibly a pollen filter I personally cannot see the point of the main dealer doing this at a cost of over £300 which my dealer quoted me when a fully qualified independent Jaguar Garage will do exactly the same work for around £100.Independent Garages have access to the Jaguar factory servicing data including all service updates ( a requirement under the European Block Exemption rules)so they can service your Car using approved Jaguar parts and not in any way affect the Jaguar warrenty.They will of course advise of any warrenty work that may be required and your main Dealer will do this without charge.
Good indpendent Jaguar Garages are not hard to find and nearly all the Technical staff and mechanics are all Jaguar trained probably at your expensive main dealer,and my experience of their servicing work on my cars over the last few years has been without question - excellent.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
hydrajaws said:
Any fixed price servicing "Deal" is only unfortunately still going to reflect Jaguar main dealer labour rates which at most establishments now are approaching the £100/Hour plus vat heady heights.As the XF just needs an oil and filter change at 1 year or 15000 miles plus a check on the every day fluid levels and possibly a pollen filter I personally cannot see the point of the main dealer doing this at a cost of over £300 which my dealer quoted me when a fully qualified independent Jaguar Garage will do exactly the same work for around £100.Independent Garages have access to the Jaguar factory servicing data including all service updates ( a requirement under the European Block Exemption rules)so they can service your Car using approved Jaguar parts and not in any way affect the Jaguar warrenty.They will of course advise of any warrenty work that may be required and your main Dealer will do this without charge.
Good indpendent Jaguar Garages are not hard to find and nearly all the Technical staff and mechanics are all Jaguar trained probably at your expensive main dealer,and my experience of their servicing work on my cars over the last few years has been without question - excellent.
You make some very interesting points. I noticed an add in my local newspaper for such a service and wondered if there would be a downside to the use of such an organisation.
I imagine that many of us would hesitate to use an independent for fear of jeopardising a warranty. I know that is illogical for the reasons you set out but it is a very powerful influence.
I will keep it in mind and if I can satisfy myself that the service is the equal to the main dealer I might very well overcome my reluctance. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have not had any Car serviced by a main manufactures dealer for over 20 years and I have not had a signficant complaint that I can recall which is in contrast to the many stories published following most customers complaints on shoddy work and rip-off prices at supplying dealers.
A member of our own Forum sited a Jaguar main dealer in Derby who recently carried out warrenty work on his XF SV8 and failed to connect the battery earth strap properly afterwards causing a secondry breakdown.My own experience of my Dealer H A Fox in Nottingham has always been faultless on any warrenty work carried out on my last X type estate and recently on my XF,but I am not prepared to pay their very high labour rates and oil prices which I cannot help feeling is funding fancy showrooms with free coffee etc.
Give your independent garage(Jaguar if possible) an opportunity to service your XF and from my experience you will be delighted particularly with the cost savings.
I will be using an independent Jaguar servicing Co in Derby which comes highly recommended for the first service on my XF and will report back.Name and address supplied if required!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi 'jaws, very interesting post , i totally agree with you re costs.
is the garage you refer to situated close to frank whittle way ?.
i only ask, as derby is not too far from me & have noticed one in that area.
cheers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice Hydrajaws. I hadnt realised that there were independent Jaguar dealers that could offer this service without effect on the warranty. Your summary seems spot on - when I quizzed the dealer what was included in the package it was clearly just labour oil and filter which seemed a bit steep!
All I need to do now is find an independent dealer somewhere close to home (although the main dealer is 25 miles away!!)

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
hydrajaws said:
I have not had any Car serviced by a main manufactures dealer for over 20 years and I have not had a signficant complaint that I can recall which is in contrast to the many stories published following most customers complaints on shoddy work and rip-off prices at supplying dealers.
A member of our own Forum sited a Jaguar main dealer in Derby who recently carried out warrenty work on his XF SV8 and failed to connect the battery earth strap properly afterwards causing a secondry breakdown.My own experience of my Dealer H A Fox in Nottingham has always been faultless on any warrenty work carried out on my last X type estate and recently on my XF,but I am not prepared to pay their very high labour rates and oil prices which I cannot help feeling is funding fancy showrooms with free coffee etc.
Give your independent garage(Jaguar if possible) an opportunity to service your XF and from my experience you will be delighted particularly with the cost savings.
I will be using an independent Jaguar servicing Co in Derby which comes highly recommended for the first service on my XF and will report back.Name and address supplied if required!
Thank you again for your comments.
It is clear from the posts that have followed that you have struck a chord with a few of us and I suspect others will be interested.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
andrewll said:
Good advice Hydrajaws. I hadnt realised that there were independent Jaguar dealers that could offer this service without effect on the warranty. Your summary seems spot on - when I quizzed the dealer what was included in the package it was clearly just labour oil and filter which seemed a bit steep!
All I need to do now is find an independent dealer somewhere close to home (although the main dealer is 25 miles away!!)
You will have no difficulty whatsoever; just ask Mr Google but in the meantime, look here ;)
http://prestigecarservicing.com/jaguars ... 1QodAS-cYQ

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pekem, that's a real help and when I need my first service I will definitely use an independent and save some money!! Thanks also to Jaws for highlighting the issue.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The independent Jaguar servicing Co in Derby is
Elite and Performance Jaguar
Unit 10 &11 Derby Trading Estate
Stores Road
Derby DE21 4BE
01332 265826
Check out their website.
On checking prices with them today they have quoted £187 including VAT for a 15000 annual service on the XF (Oil & filter,Pollen Filter etc) using Jaguar parts and all checks as per Jaguar service schedule.Another Derby independent quoted £177.00 for the same service so this seems to be the going rate.
I checked out Stratstone the main Jaguar Dealer and their labour rates are an eyewatering £105/hour + vat and they quoted £265.73 for the 15000 mile service and with their already tarnished reputation on the forum recently,I know where my XF will be going.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't mean to brag, but the Jag dealer in Dubai (Al Tayer Motors) offered me 3 years or 75,000kms free servicing including all parts when I bought the car. (Only things not included was tyres and wipers!!). Can't get no more fixed price than that really. In addition I got full 5 year warranty. Is that not standard in the UK these days?

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
hydrajaws said:
The independent Jaguar servicing Co in Derby is
Elite and Performance Jaguar
Unit 10 &11 Derby Trading Estate
Stores Road
Derby DE21 4BE
01332 265826
Check out their website.
On checking prices with them today they have quoted £187 including VAT for a 15000 annual service on the XF (Oil & filter,Pollen Filter etc) using Jaguar parts and all checks as per Jaguar service schedule.Another Derby independent quoted £177.00 for the same service so this seems to be the going rate.
I checked out Stratstone the main Jaguar Dealer and their labour rates are an eyewatering £105/hour + vat and they quoted £265.73 for the 15000 mile service and with their already tarnished reputation on the forum recently,I know where my XF will be going.

Is that figure also + vat :?:
I can see that the decision as to who will carry out the servicing; main dealer or independent, appears to be on a par with the decision as to whether one should change to another bank where it is known the charges are lower and so on. Often, common sense demands that we do but the bank relies on our inertia to keep us as a customer. Presently, I think that I will be able to overcome the inertia to save in the region of £100 :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
The Stratstone figure quoted includes VAT.
Forgot to mention that both independent servicing companies told me that they have the latest Jaguar software programme to apply on their diagnostic equipment.
Had my Jaguar XF recall letter today regarding rear seatbelt anchorages.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Elite and Performance Jaguar have an unrivalled reputation with members of the XKEC. Several drive very long distances to have their XK's serviced by them.
However fixing niggling warranty problems like the seat belt D rings and fuel filler flap mod would need a separate dealer visit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Dealer has offered me a prepaid 3 service contract for £975 (don't know if this includes VAT - but probably not).

Do we think this is OK for a main dealer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
dcsxf said:
My Dealer has offered me a prepaid 3 service contract for £975 (don't know if this includes VAT - but probably not).

Do we think this is OK for a main dealer?
You should be able to get your first service for around £250, so £975 for all three sounds a bit steep to me and they have your money for 3 years, so the real cost is nearer £1,100.

Unless you can get a better deal I would pay as you go and get quotes from a couple of dealers at the time you need your service as they all have quite a bit of scope for discounting and they are all after the work at present.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts