XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Saw my first Macan today. Amazingly it is even uglier than either the Cayenne or the Panamera. I didn't think that was possible.

Who can stand to buy such ugly vehicles?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Macan is a fine looking car and much better looking than a Cayenne or a Panamera

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not a proper test on snow and ice and I would not rate Matt Saunders too highly as he seems to be the mouthpiece for Jaguar these days and Mike Cross in particular as their official press release magazine Autocar.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Saw my first Macan today. Amazingly it is even uglier than either the Cayenne or the Panamera. I didn't think that was possible.

Who can stand to buy such ugly vehicles?
Do you have the Nissan Juke in Canada as that takes the prize for ugly over here. Somebody said that it was the result of an illicate night of lovemaking between a house brick and a Rino or a Hippo.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Do you have the Nissan Juke in Canada as that takes the prize for ugly over here. Somebody said that it was the result of an illicate night of lovemaking between a house brick and a Rino or a Hippo.
Yes we do, and the rogue. At least they don't pretend to be stylish or premium quality.

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The review in February's Car Magazine was complimentary. Looks like it will be some car (SUV) and will give Jaguar a much needed sales boost given that everyone is now buying an SUV. Well apart from Baron and Jagular that is... ;)
and me, got my XF thank you very much :p

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Car likes it. They say it is a better vehicle than the Sportbrake it replaces...lets hope not. The new XF Sportbrake has not yet been built so how can they know.

The upshot of the test is that Jaguar has hit the target for a road car with some off road capability. No surprise really given the awd system they get to use, their software expertise and the need not to overlap the Range Rover market.

A true driver's crossover from Mike Cross's team, who'd have thought that?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
There is very little difference between a wagon (estate) and a car-platform-based SUV. AWD is typically available for both. The appointments and safety features are very close. Some manufacturers are making tall wagons. Some manufacturers are making sporty handling SUVs (like the Porsche Macan).

The main thing separating them is image. Wagons are for the fuddy-duddy, SUVs are for the active buyers.

Net result is that wagon sales are declining and SUV sales are exploding, particularly in Europe, which has been behind the curve on the transition and is now playing catch up.

The F-Pace, not the Sportbrake is the high-priority product for Jaguar. It is likely to become Jaguar's #1 selling vehicle in short order.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
But the new XF is a much better car than the old XF so a Sportbrake built on the new platform should be also.
You are still giving the right answer but to the wrong question.

Q. Is the SUV better than the old (original) Sport brake. A. Yes It is
Q. Is the SUV better than a possible (theoretical) new Sportbrake. A. A Sportbrake built on the new platform should be (better) also.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
You are still giving the right answer but to the wrong question.

Q. Is the SUV better than the old (original) Sport brake. A. Yes It is
Q. Is the SUV better than a possible (theoretical) new Sportbrake. A. A Sportbrake built on the new platform should be (better) also.
Hey, I'm into answers. You figure out the question. I'm off duty you know.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Yup, those "wagons" are definitely for fuddy duddys.

Mercedes can't find buyers for its AMG 63 Estate. Audi could hardly sell its RS6. Even Cadillac couldn't shift any CTS Sport Wagons. Oh wait, right, not enough fuddy duddys in the US. I nearly forgot about that.

Jaguar sold a lot of Sportbrakes but not to US buyers.

And there is a huge difference in driving dynamics between a crossover and an estate. Something that is important to the European buyer and not understood in America. Something about cg and chassis weights.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts